• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
We are home now. We concentrated today on what was best at Mammoth the past two days. Lonnie skiing Drop Out 3 yesterday afternoon:
IMG_2516.JPG

Today we started out with Garry and Mdskier, spent most of the morning on 5, soon adding Lonnie and some more friends, 7 people most of the time and 10 for the last couple of runs.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Another killer day !
See ya tomorrow . ..

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
Snow conditions are holding up surprisingly well, given the lack of snowfall and east winds last week. Tomorrow they are opening a lot more of the mountain.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Snow conditions are still great on lower mtn , a little sketchy on top, also had a mammoth breeze come up this morning , 25 - 65 mph , closed chr1 & upper gondi
Smoke blowing in from the fires also, smoky & hazy,
The holiday crowd has arrived , Slightly more crowded than a normal Friday.
Great turns to be had early . .....

doctortom

Booting up
Skier
PS: Rode up the chair with a Mammoth Mountain ski instructor on his day off. He had been skiing all day and estimated the total snowfall at 8 inches. Thursday should be a good day as well.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Merry Christmas!
Day 2, no crowds all morning long. The snow was wind swept, with balls of icy, chunky snow rolling along the top. Down in the family friendly green runs, the snow alternated between smooth and chalky.
upload_2017-12-25_13-49-25.jpeg

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
A few more people than pic above today, but not bad if you stayed up top. The last 1/2 of drop out 2 was pretty fun.
@Mothertucker , you were right about safety bars on 23, they have the tabs installed on the rear of all the chairs, 1/2 way there,
sure will reduce anxiety on windy+ days

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure I've said this before, but 23 with a little wind is the only lift that's made me nervous. I don't mind heights at all (Red Dog at squaw is fine for instance), but swinging with no safety bar on that one is really something.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The last 1/2 of drop out 2 was pretty fun.

Then, that has to mean the first half was the usual :eek:

... safety bars on 23, they have the tabs installed on the rear of all the chairs, 1/2 way there,
sure will reduce anxiety on windy+ days

Safety bars on Chair 23 would be MOST welcome. I can hardly wait.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another day at MM. I was able to spend about an hour on my own apart from the family. I had fun doing laps on chair 1, ripping down Agee's and Andys. Groomed and fast and sloughy. Getting my ski legs back under meWhen I was with the the whole bunch, we spent a lot of time in Forest Trail Park. I caught some air off a few hips and didn't crash or hurt myself :daffy:
Tomorrow we will be out of Canyon.

I'm trying to figure out my new toy, GoPro 5, in order to post some pics.

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
I’m too damn lazy to take my skis off and Gondi it unless the weather is extreme but chair 23 tests my mettle on many days!

Taking off skis, stomp, stomp, pick up and go. Maybe you need to try it my way, as the Gondi is my preferred way to access the top. 23 gives me the willies.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Today reminds me of why I don't do weekends & holidays.
Heading home i do believe .
Laps on 23, today, least crowed, d2 & 3, bottom half still good.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
23 gives me the willies.

It's funny. I never used to think twice about jumping on 23. However, in the last couple of years "willies" describes it perfectly. I now always try to line up to the right or left and grab the arm rest for the ride up. In fact, I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It seems like Canyon gets even more crowded than Main. We were able to venture onto some blue runs as a family (Roller Coaster) which will open up more for us tomorrow. And spent a lot of time finding things to jump over or on.

From yesterday:
G0040257.JPG

From today:
upload_2017-12-27_19-58-51.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor