• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wishful thinking

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't want a crossover.

I want a subie mini-van with 8" of clearance. The ultimate in utilitarian ski / camp cars.

Yes, as skiers, we want lots of cargo space (and length, not just volume), and high performing AWD. A low center of gravity is also great. But at the same time decent ground clearance.
As is a full size spare. For day to day driving it would still be nice if it wasn't a mile long. Oh, and fuel efficient please.

How about a 'Tesla minivan'?

Think about it, unlike ICE drivetrains, electric drivetrains can create AWD without losing efficiency. So, if you want to combine AWD with efficiency, electric makes a lot of sense.

By eliminating the central driveshaft and center differential, it allows for more interior space or ground clearance. Battery packs do take up some of that space, but they can be shaped to fit much better, and of course there is the lack of a gas tank. Battery packs also contribute to a low center of gravity, even in a vehicle with a taller stance.
Electric AWD systems could also be set-up much easier with different modes for their AWD(highway handling, 4WD locked, etc), mostly just programming differences, while mechanical AWD systems tend to be fixed in one style or require expensive extra parts for multiple modes.

With in wheel motors, or at least front and rear electric motors, you also don't need the large single engine space of a pickup truck, allowing for more interior length with less overall length.

Oh, and Tesla, no wing doors please, we want to be able to put a roof rack on.

Bollinger-b1-storage.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Think about it, unlike ICE drivetrains, electric drivetrains can create AWD without losing efficiency. So, if you want to combine AWD with efficiency, electric makes a lot of sense.

By eliminating the central driveshaft and center differential, it allows for more interior space or ground clearance. Battery packs do take up some of that space, but they can be shaped to fit much better, and of course there is the lack of a gas tank. Battery packs also contribute to a low center of gravity, even in a vehicle with a taller stance.
Electric AWD systems could also be set-up much easier with different modes for their AWD(highway handling, 4WD locked, etc), mostly just programming differences, while mechanical AWD systems tend to be fixed in one style or require expensive extra parts for multiple modes.

This is well established already - Audi has done it in protos. Rimac does it right now.

Faraday Future has even (sort of - three motors instead of 4 independent wheel ones) done it up Pikes Peak:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/15865364/faraday-future-ff91-pikes-peak-video-highlights

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know the technology exists, that’s why I am wishing someone would apply it to a large volume vehiclle, like a minivan or large suv or something.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Btw, That ‘Jeep’ picture up there is a prototype I found online, just using it to show how the electric drivetrain can combine AWD and floor space in a way that’s not possible with standard ICE drive trains.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ah now I get the wishful part, you don't want a proof of concept or a kit vehicle, you want something Ralph Gilles' team has already worked through.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
even a concept car would be cool. but so far the biggest I know ofis the Tesla SUV, hardly minivan size, and the door open up into a roof rack. Has anyone done a concept car of a AWD electric minivan or something like that?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
even a concept car would be cool. but so far the biggest I know ofis the Tesla SUV, hardly minivan size, and the door open up into a roof rack. Has anyone done a concept car of a AWD electric minivan or something like that?

Well, as I obliquely mentioned above, there is the Audi e-tron.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/audi-...-new-tech-details-on-the-tesla-model-x-rival/

Probably smaller than you want.

Renault and others do electric panel vans but that is way off track for what the target vehicle is.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do they do the panel vans with awd? That would be cool.
The Audi would be a pretty good start for people who don’t need a ton of space.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But it's gotta get me from Hood River, Oregon to Jackson Hole without any lengthy recharging stops.

Side note for MN Slim: In a previous life that would have been Babbitt or MPLS or Cloquet MN to Bridger Bowl MT, so about the same distance.

Electric cars need a battery technology, charge density step-change (can I say quantum leap?!). Once nobody even talks about range anymore, ICE vehicles will disappear quickly.

But I will miss them!

In the meantime, I guess I'm in the minority about needing sophisticated AWD systems. I only use mine when it's slippery, so a simple, electrically driven set of front wheels combined with ICE RWD driving dynamics might do the trick.

Watch for this in the next MB Sprinter!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do they do the panel vans with awd? That would be cool.
The Audi would be a pretty good start for people who don’t need a ton of space.
Sprinters. the van choice of ski reps everywhere.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am a simple man with simple needs. VW, bring this over...

VW-Caddy-Alltrack-2.jpg

AWD, Check
Diesel, Check
Stick, Check
Refinement and good handing, Check, check
Room to put lots of gear, Check
Reasonably priced, Check

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Don’t have time to find a link right now but VW has an electric bus prototype that they’re saying will be available in 2020. Not great clearance but pretty sweet otherwise.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

VW-Caddy-Alltrack-2.jpg

AWD, Check
Diesel, Check
Stick, Check
Reasonably priced, Check
That WOULD be a great ski trip car, if the AWD is decent?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

VW-Caddy-Alltrack-2.jpg

AWD, Check
Diesel, Check
Stick, Check
Reasonably priced, Check

I drove one of the briefly in Europe.

It was more lust-worthy on paper than in reality.

But drop a GTI engine into it, and I'm 90% a customer!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Btw, That ‘Jeep’ picture up there is a prototype I found online, just using it to show how the electric drivetrain can combine AWD and floor space in a way that’s not possible with standard ICE drive trains.

That 'Jeep' picture corresponds rather nicely to this Bollinger video.

Sponsor

Staff online