• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What ski do I want?

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hey Pugsters, this is my first time as an OP so I figured I should get right at it and go back to where I was 30+ years ago.

I need help picking a ski, not just any ski, a ski that I can live with for the coming season.

Now the honest Q & A, I haven't skied regularly for close to 25 years, I know, shame on me but life and business got in the way but I'm back, isn't that all that really counts? I'm Vintage as well as my memories and experience.

Now for my ski type that I used to like, a GS ski, a big GS ski with metal and mounted at half cord, yes, I'm an ex shop tech, elite racer, race coach and official. I like metal, even in a Slalom ski so that may say something. I love to cruise fast (carefully) and won't shy away from most anything except hiking at 11K plus, hey, I'm from the Midwest and I'm 60

All my skis are straights so to speak, but when I had my choice out free skiing I was on a 207-210 GS ski for groomers, deep snow, trees etc. everything except moguls. Moguls and metal don't mix much and frankly if there's not a dump on the bumps I'll stay clear with the exception of a run because they're there.

Last year a friend let me Demo a pair of Atomic Vantage 90 CTI in a 184 CM length and I loved them, I'm 6' and 200lbs, I skied Ice here in the Artificial Snow Ice of the Midwest, Colorado hard pack, corduroy, crud and what not but regrettably no deep stuff (bad timing) but I'm OK with that as when it's deep I've never cared what I was on, it's deep and I'll deal with it. I also had a pair of Elan Amphibio 88 XTI?? in the same length. No thanks, they carved well but were heavy and didn't have anywhere near the power of the Atomics when you loaded the tail.

I tried but I never found a top end on those Atomic sticks but I hadn't skied in a number of years. Well maybe I did, but it was fast enough.
I don't like the Demo binders mostly from the weight and the limited DIN settings. I prefer that the skis don't come off unless there's an extreme yard sale.

In reading the reviews I've centered on the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI, Rossignol Exp88HD, Volkl RTM86? and Salomon's XDR 88TI and maybe either the Atomic 100CTI or Rossignol's Exp100HD,

If I spent more time out West it might be easier for this one ski quiver question (but I don't) so any and all help from the talented and informative Pugski Nation is most appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, I was just talking a Rossi rep on how powerful the Experience 100 was and as I was reading your post it was one of the first skis to come to mind...if you were not based in the mid west. You will run out of trail after your second turn. The ski that fits all of your criteria and still be enjoyed on a smaller mountain and wtill work when you go west would be....well there are two that I will suggest...one at a premium and one mortal price whould be the Kästle MX89 and the Head Monster 88. Metal, check. Longer turn radius, check. GS ski feel, check. Able to be skied in the bumps, actually, check that too.

Both of these skis are more similar than they are different. The price of entry of the Kastle is obviouslymore and what do you get for that additional 40%? Refinement. The same that you would get from a $50 bottle of scotch/bourbon/yourbeverageofchoice over a $30 bottle. Now, many are happy with a $30 bottle of X, I know there are many that I love, but there a difference as you step up. I know I would be very happy skiing a Monster most any day I would never feel that I short changed myself but the Kästle as that feel that only comes with a premium product...a certain Je ne sais quoi.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All the skis mentioned are good. I'm with Phil in thinking that 100mm is too wide for a Midwest OSQ.

Don't stress about it. Why? Because if you haven't been skiing since the straight ski era, chances are very high that your skiing and how you bend a ski will change quite a bit over the next couple years, and during that time you will form new opinions about what you want. What you're trying to do is kind of like saying, "I really love my old Jack Kramer wood frame racquet. Which modern racquet should I buy?" So, think of this as your orientation or transition ski.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
If you are midwest, you really don't want anything wider than 88. 70's to 80's is where its at for our typical conditions, wider will ski better in afternoon chop, narrower will ski better in the morning on hard corduroy. Anything in the 80's makes for a great all around travel ski, just rent wide boards if you are getting dumped on. My midwest all rounder has become the Head Titan, worked just fine at Lake Louise as well in both hidden stashes and on the groomed. I can drive it any place in any condition short of bottomless champaign powder.

I'd also be looking closely at the Volkl RTM 84 and this thread has me intrigued on the new Curv GT.
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/fischer-curv-gt-vs-head-titan.6344/#post-147937

Honorable mention, Kastle MX84 or Monster 83, but the monsters will be a new old stock purchase leap of faith and the Kastles will need a second mortgage. :)

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
By what you say, instead of the Salomon XDR, may I suggest you try to find last years Salomon xdrive 8.8 FS. Very sweet ski if you like to charge and load up the ski. Very GS-like .

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
By what you say, instead of the Salomon XDR, may I suggest you try to find last years Salomon xdrive 8.8 FS. Very sweet ski if you like to charge and load up the ski. Very GS-like .
That X-Drive 8.8 is a beefy ski for sure.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I'm something (ha!) of a Kästle fan, but I'm not made of money. The last pair I bought, an MX88, was an ex-demo, in excellent condition, for $299 (an amazingly low price, admittedly, and difficult to find — most ex-demo MX88s run $350 or higher, and they're in no better shape).

All demo bindings are not equal — the Tyrolia Attack demo is close, both in weight and stand height, to the standard binding (which is relatively low-weight with a low stand height).

If you're put off by the north-of-a-grand price of new Kästles (FLAT!), who can blame you? On the other hand, Kästle makes an amazing ski — it's really worth a try if you can get it cheap enough.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great skis listed above. I’ll throw a plug in for the Blizzard Brahma. It has the metal you want and is super responsive for an 88m width. Given your size, you may consider the 187s. I have a pair of the 180s and they are versatile and will hold an edge on hard pack.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wolfski Where in the Midwest? We might be able to get you to demo or at least a good local supplier too.

Handlebars

Booting up
Skier
Even with the width, I find my rossignol experience 100s are a great hard snow ski. Only the worst glare ice seems to give them trouble.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went through something similar to you, GS straight ski background and daily driver (for decades), racing in youth, career-reasons etc. lay-off from skiing. (But when I came back, it was in Colorado, and skiing a lot of days.)

I think the Atomic 90 CTI 184 would be a good choice as a first ski back from long layoff: good in short or long carve turns, very carvy on edge working that ski but good slarving too. Good on groomers, in bumps, trees, some powder, slush, on and off piste, great at speed, or slow. Lots of character. Neutral carve. Good in crud. (It's one weakness, that I found, is that it can get tossed in really rough variable.)

A few others (besides a few already mentioned such as Rossi 88HD, Volkl RTM 86, Monster 88 & 83, Blizzard Brahma):

--Volkl RTM 81 and 84. To me, for your purposes, the 84 might be the most versatile of the RTMS for the Midwest, with its slight frontside bias, but all three RTMS are good. Generally, they are really fun in any kind of turn, and some off piste, variable or bumps also.

--Stockli AX Laser. A frontside-biased but versatile ski, also a premium ski; more former racer oriented, to me.

--Kastle MX 74. If you go for a Kastle, in the Midwest (also back East or Colo in the afternoons) the one I'd recommend for you would be the MX 74. It carves really well in all conditions - great for an ex-racer. It's an all mountain ski that handles almost as well as a between gs/slalom ski on the frontside, with more versatility. (It's one drawback is that a wider ski would handle better in powder/crud.)

-- a possible "down the road ski," something to throw out, perhaps just for future reference, is a current tweener or between slalom/gs near-race or masters race ski, with radius of between 16 and 20 or so. With your background, this may really come into play if you start to ski regularly. Head Rebel iSpeed or Supershape iSpeed are two versions. Most ski makers have versions of this, but the Heads are great.
(Note: I'm NOT here recommending the current GS skis for "down the road" consideration only because you are on small hills.)

Last, the Atomic 100 cti is a good soft snow ski. It is superior in soft snow bumps. But for your purposes, probably a "no," unless you go for at least two skis, not one.

Last edited:

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I went through something similar to you, GS straight ski background and daily driver (for decades), racing in youth, career-reasons etc. lay-off from skiing. (But when I came back, it was in Colorado, and skiing a lot of days.)

--Stockli AX Laser. A frontside-biased but versatile ski, also a premium ski; more former racer oriented, to me.

--Kastle MX 74. If you go for a Kastle, in the Midwest (also back East or Colo in the afternoons) the one I'd recommend for you would be the MX 74. It carves really well in all conditions - great for an ex-racer. It's an all mountain ski that handles almost as well as a between gs/slalom ski on the frontside, with more versatility. (It's one drawback is that a wider ski would handle better in powder/crud.)

I've heard tremendous things about the AX — haven't had a chance to demo it, but everyone I know who has, or who owns a pair, loves it.

If MX 74, why not MX84 (or 83, used)? One of the great skis of the decade, and it's been a strong all-mountain choice in the East. Maybe the Midwest differs (lived in Iowa for 2o years, but I didn't ski in those days.)

TS
Wolfski

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks all, it looks like there's a bunch of great ones to choose and I have really kinda of stayed on the 90CTI as I did ski them and I'm pretty picky on skis layoff and all.
I didn't not ski for all those 25 years but those days were all on old straights, they're are/were nice race stocks but still after skiing the current skis I'm sold.

@Tony S You're right, with as many good choices mentioned I'll sheep around and find a good deal. I used a Davis Imperial btw
@Dwight I'm at Wilmot Mt :) 190' vertical
@Handlebars I'm an old Rossi head and I'm torn on that 100
@ski otter 2 You're thinking the the same way as you mentioned at least three that that I've read about, and that Volkl really sounds good

I'll tell you what, I think this indecisiveness is a payback for being a ski salesman, Don't let it happen to you

Handlebars

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of head rev 80 pros. They sit on my ski rack, and are being given to my brother in law. even in the many hard snow days in southern vt, i have found the e100 a better ski than many narrower skis- it skis like a wide cheater gs ski, and I haven’t found its speed limit yet. It also is very versatile, I’ve found them to work at least acceptably well in everything but deep powder.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard to argue with either the Atomic 90 or Monster 88 in this category!

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all, it looks like there's a bunch of great ones to choose and I have really kinda of stayed on the 90CTI as I did ski them and I'm pretty picky on skis layoff and all.
I didn't not ski for all those 25 years but those days were all on old straights, they're are/were nice race stocks but still after skiing the current skis I'm sold.

@Tony S You're right, with as many good choices mentioned I'll sheep around and find a good deal. I used a Davis Imperial btw
@Dwight I'm at Wilmot Mt :) 190' vertical
@Handlebars I'm an old Rossi head and I'm torn on that 100
@ski otter 2 You're thinking the the same way as you mentioned at least three that that I've read about, and that Volkl really sounds good

I'll tell you what, I think this indecisiveness is a payback for being a ski salesman, Don't let it happen to you

Get to Cascade beginning of season. They are redoing all the rentals to Rosi Experience and HD. Probably can demo better skis too.

If you really like Rosi, go to Madison to GS Ski Tunes. Greg does a great job on saving you money. Also at Cascade is my brother who has the Volkl RTM 83 and really likes them.

Does Wilmot(Vail) demo skis there?

TS
Wolfski

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Get to Cascade beginning of season. They are redoing all the rentals to Rosi Experience and HD. Probably can demo better skis too.

If you really like Rosi, go to Madison to GS Ski Tunes. Greg does a great job on saving you money. Also at Cascade is my brother who has the Volkl RTM 83 and really likes them.

Does Wilmot(Vail) demo skis there?
Thanks, I'll try and get up there.
The newly "epic" Wilmot closed the ski shop for their first year so no.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Monster 88 or 83, and here's the big one eyed secret staring us all in the face: skis like the Rossi Hero Master and Rebels iSpeed Pro are much more versatile than you'd think. A Rossi E-100 would be an excellent western travel ski, just not the one that would pop into mind as the ride for the home front in WI. Like the Salomon 8.8 x drive thought as well if you can find them.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wolfski I"m 5'll", 210. I ski some Salomon Customs, Rosi Exper 83, Head Revs 105 and anything else I get my hands on. I'm looking for newer skis too.

Been told to look at Head Titans, Kore 93s and Monster 83. Have tried the Enforcer 93, meh. Amphibios 88, I liked them. Last year had access to Nordica Dobermans, oh boy, those are fun. The new Nordica Navigator would be good in Wisconsin too.

There are so many choices pretty munch any top carving ski will be fun.

Sponsor