• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vises that clamp vertically

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
Or both horizontally and vertically. Do they exist?

Wanting one as my main tuning tasks are liquid spraying and Razor Tune.

Liquid spray process of rubbing on and brushing can be done by just propping up the skis against the corner of a wall and floor.

With Razor Tune, I've seen a video of the owner propping up the skis on the bumper of a car but looks unstable. So in theory I can Razor Tune by propping against wall and floor corner, which is similar to his bumper method. It could work, but I've yet to try.

As I stay mostly on ski resort hotels for weeks, thought I might do my daily sharpening on a balcony by afixing vises on the balcony railing. That way, the metal dust can just disperse to the outside air.

The challenge is most vises clamp horizontally on a table. A balcony railing is vertical.

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The challenge is most vises clamp horizontally on a table. A balcony railing is vertical.
Do you need a vise or could you work with only simple friction supports? I lash a short piece of 2X4 horizontally to the rail on my deck. That's secure enough for any work I need to do. If you lashed a a 2X4 vertically, you would have a 3.5 inch platform. staple some rubber shelf liner to the top and go to work. If that's no wide enough, you could add something to the top. If you tapered the 2X4 a little whenever it loosened you could tighten it just by pushing it down.

FWIW I gave away all my vises years ago. They were all too fussy to use on a regular basis. I'm still keeping all my vices.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January