• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vintage Atomic SX11 question.

Risejugger

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey all, first time post here. About 13 years ago I bought a pair of second hand Atomic Supercross SX11 170 cm skis from the 03/04 circa, with SX412 bindings; the ones with three different positions on the skis you can adjust by flipping a tab on the front of the nose piece.

Yes, these bindings were the subject of the binding recall of that era and I did have the warranty repair done at an authorized dealer here in Iowa. I have been skiing on them since and have had no issues. Yes, I understand the bindings are no longer indemnified and I use them at my own risk; skiing in itself is a risk, regardless of equipment. I learned how to make my own binding adjustments; I'm 60 years old and rather mechanically inclined; I know my DIN setting and there are some videos and blogs out there with the necessary information. I do have some newer skis I use but I really do like the way these skis ride at speed. By some incredible luck, I found a brand new, still shrink-wrapped pair of the exact same SX11 170 skis on ebay and bought them.

I was just going to swap the bindings from the old pair and move them to the new ones, or find some used 614s that weren't subject to the recall and mount those. Then I got to thinking, the late model Atomic X12 Var bindings appear to have the same basic design and I am wondering if they could be mounted on these skis without too much fuss. I've attached some photos of the binding plate; any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
20240323_102921.jpg

20240323_102927.jpg

TS
R

Risejugger

Skier
Those "new" skis you just bought are terrible and the bindings are unsafe. Send them to me and I'll safely dispose of them. Because I care, I'll even pair for shipping (actually I would just ski them - what are the odds that both bindings fail at the exact same moment?). ogwink
LOL

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was referring to the mounting arrangement since they are also capable of adjusting the forward-backward position on the ski.

The fore & aft adjustment on the fly is the only similarity.
The different mounting screw pattern is the fork in the road.

TS
R

Risejugger

Skier
The fore & aft adjustment on the fly is the only similarity.
The different mounting screw pattern is the fork in the road.
Yes, that was my concern, which begs the question; can either the plates on the skis or the bindings be re-drilled to accommodate the mounting pattern on the newer binding or the older mounting plate on the skis respectively, without compromising structural integrity?

Assuming the answer to the above question is negative, and assuming Atomic fixed the 1998-2002 heel piece issue for subsequent model years, how long was this particular line of bindings manufactured after the recall years?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not long -3 seasons?-in 412 and 614 form. The 1018 was used on actual race skis to about 2012.
NEOX was preferred for lower release levels - there were plates that could take either NEOX or Race up through '08.

NEOX has several things in common with XVAR but the parts are not interchangeable.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, that was my concern, which begs the question; can either the plates on the skis or the bindings be re-drilled to accommodate the mounting pattern on the newer binding or the older mounting plate on the skis respectively, without compromising structural integrity?

You can always try mounting the X-VAR plate to the ski. Issue is whether the X-VAR plate will be compatible with the twin lobe top sheet design.

TS
R

Risejugger

Skier
You can always try mounting the X-VAR plate to the ski. Issue is whether the X-VAR plate will be compatible with the twin lobe top sheet design.
Yes, the twin lobe thing is the main obstacle. Looking at my pair with the bindings mounted and the plate shown in the photos above, there are lower parts of the binding, both front and rear, that screw into the plate mounted to the ski, this lower part has tracks on which the actual toe and heel piece are mounted so they slide back and forth (VAR), with the connection piece between the two that you adjust according to your boot sole length. It looks like the modern X12 Var uses the same arrangement, except that the position of the screw holes that mount the track portion of the binding to the binding plate on the ski are different. That's what I was wondering about; re-drilling the holes on the the track part of the X12 VAR to match the screw pattern on the SX11 plate, just a thought experiment.

It might just be too much fussing around; I'll probably just swap the the bindings I have over or look for some Race 614s or Neox, as cantunamunch suggested, of the same vintage; it seems there is no shortage of them on ebay.

Anyway, I appreciate the information provided.

TS
R

Risejugger

Skier
Not long -3 seasons?-in 412 and 614 form. The 1018 was used on actual race skis to about 2012.
NEOX was preferred for lower release levels - there were plates that could take either NEOX or Race up through '08.

NEOX has several things in common with XVAR but the parts are not interchangeable.
Thanks, this is helpful information.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's what I was wondering about; re-drilling the holes on the the track part of the X12 VAR to match the screw pattern on the SX11 plate, just a thought experiment.

This is the toe track for a X-VAR binding. Not sure there are enough meat there for another set of holes.

1711304154746.jpeg

TS
R

Risejugger

Skier
This is the toe track for a X-VAR binding. Not sure there are enough meat there for another set of holes.

View attachment 230782
Perhaps I should work with

View attachment 230782
Please disregard the last one; it was posted mistakenly. Regarding your photo, it is interesting I see where the holes for the VAR adjustment pin are arranged; could you provide the measurement of the distance between the rails?

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps I should work with

Please disregard the last one; it was posted mistakenly. Regarding your photo, it is interesting I see where the holes for the VAR adjustment pin are arranged; could you provide the measurement of the distance between the rails?

Here is a pretty good breakdown on the Atomic X-VAR binding.

Sponsor

Staff online