• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hi

Looking to get some basic wax for my and my kids skis.

If I put wax on them now will I need to wax hem again before I go skiing in late December?

Saw these on ebay, same seller (wintersportdeals) out of new jersey, anyone familiar with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Snowboa...604009?hash=item58fc745369:g:YFIAAOSwHk9Zjf8I

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Snowboa...400924?hash=item2cb0f4e6dc:g:zpoAAOSw-itXsyD6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Snowboa...610537?hash=item58f9e44c29:g:gLQAAOSw7GRZNhTK

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
No idea who makes the stuff you are posting however If you are just starting out waxing you could look for the Hertel "super hot sauce".
That's a decent all temperature wax for what you are doing.
I am seeing a 3/4 lb brick of it on flea bay for around $30.00. Less for the smaller packs.
As mentioned above Slidewright carries some great brands too.
Good luck and happy waxing!!!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is from Hertel which I thought was pretty interesting when it comes to the term "All Temperature" waxes and I think "universal" kinda fall under that title...
All of you should be familiar with my company, Hertel and Company, Inc., and our ski wax and snowboard wax products.
As you know, Hertel introduced a significantly improved ski wax in 1973. One of the important attributes of its product was the ability to significantly improve ski performance in a broad temperature range- from 6°F to 50°F-essentially the full range of temperatures in which its product was likely to be used. Hertel advertised its products using several trademarks, including Hertel, HotSauce, Super HotSauce, All Temperature, and others.
For 43 years Hertel has grown in recognition and customer satisfaction and we believe we have come to be recognized as the leading producer of ski and snowboard wax for use over a broad temperature range.
Unfortunately, we have recently encountered situations where other ski wax and snowboard wax companies are using our trademark All Temperature (or a confusingly similar term like “All Temp”) in their marketing materials, apparently in an effort to cause confusion among ski and snowboard wax customers. We have also seen situations where other ski and snowboard wax companies offer a product that they claim will work in a broad range of temperatures - with or without using our trademark - where it does not appear that their product is effective as claimed.
All sellers of ski and snowboard wax should review their marketing and advertising materials and product performance data and be sure that they are not infringing any Hertel trademarks and that they are not misrepresenting the performance of your product.
The benefits of using a reputable ski wax or snowboard wax are meaningful - whether from a safety, speed, or fun standpoint. All wax producers should help encourage public recognition of these benefits in a way that avoids confusion and that reflect the credibility of the businesses selling ski and snowboard wax products. Improved and accurate education of the 100 million skiers worldwide on the benefits of ski wax and snowboard wax is the responsibility of all manufacturers.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All of my bases, and I have many skis, are saturated with Hertel Super Hot Sauce and all my race boards are saturated with Hertel FC739. I have overlays I use on race days for the race boards that are temp specific. I've been very happy with Hertel. It's fast on the hill, easy to work with, and it is fairly durable.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like others have said, "don't know, can't say."

@murphysf Not sure why those wax are even under consideration. They may seem cheap but the per gram price is no where near what I like to see for me to buy it.

The Slidewright product linked is actually much cheaper per gram. You may have to factor in shipping.Unfortunately, they are on back order.

If you need a decent and inexpensive wax now. This is a good buy.
1Kg Briko Maplus Universal Red Ski Wax |Bulk Fast Glide Tuning Waxing ($44.95)
It will last you for a while.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Good advice. Pretty much every wax company has a good hydrocarbon wax that covers a wide snow temp range. It's less expensive per gram when purchased in a "brick". As suggested, do that.

Just as an aside. I know three guys who spent a race season chasing USST nominations and WC starts for the next season. These guys were on a lean budget. Only skiing SL and GS.
I know that one used nothing but Holmenkoll Beta for the entire season. Not a single overlay unless he mooched some once in a while. He made the team.

One of the others used Dominator's "old snow" or "new snow" Zoom, back then. Depending on humidity. All season. I think he won a NorAm title.

Now, granted, this was a number of years ago. Point being that "cheap" hydro wax can be plenty effective, and really effective for most of us.

I think a brick of any of what has been suggested will be a good solution for the OP.
I would run from any small blocks of unnamed "stuff" on EBay.

BTW, there is a certain entry point or "floor" of a budget that you really have to spend to start doing your own tuning and ski work. You really need the basics, and trying to do it without them is probably not worth it.

Don't need a full on shop, don't need the tools used by pro techs....but need the basics. From time to time some of us sell good tools that we find we are not using right here.

Good luck!

Last edited:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good advice. Pretty much every wax company has a good hydrocarbon wax that covers a wide snow temp range. It's less expensive per gram when purchased in a "brick". As suggested, do that.

Just as an aside. I know three guys who spent a race season chacing USST nominations and WC starts for the next season. These guys were on a lean budget. Only skiing SL and GS.
I know that one used nothing but Holmenkoll Beta for the entire season. Not a single overlay unless he mooched some once in a while. He made the team.

One of the others used Dominator's "old snow" or "new snow" Zoom, back then. Depending on humidity. All season. I think he won a NorAm title.

Now, granted, this was a number of years ago. Point being that "cheap" hydro wax can be plenty effective, and really effective for most of us.

I think a brick of any of what has been suggested will be a good solution for the OP.
I would run from any small blocks of unnamed "stuff" on EBay.

BTW, there is a certain entry point or "floor" of a budget that you really have to spend to start doing your own tuning and ski work. You really need the basics, and trying to do it without them is probably not worth it.

Don't need a full on shop, don't need the tools used by pro techs....but need the basics. From time to time some of us sell good tools that we find we are not using right here.

Good luck!
Agreed.....and just to elaborate for the OP you can go on Amazon and get a 3/4lb brick of Hertel Super Hot Sauce All Temp wax for $25 and free shipping if you're a prime member. You can get the FC739 for $57 a 3/4 lb brick and free shipping if you're a prime member. A 3/4lb brick will last a long time if you don't over do it when you apply it. There's a lot of articles and videos out there on waxing techniques. As Mule said, you will need some equipment. I spent a few hundred bucks to get started and added to it periodically.

View media item 1908

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@PisteOff, that is a very nice set-up. Clean, everything in it's place. Nice bins to hold tools.
Perfect! Even with the Skier's Edge in there.

We've had a lot of tuning spaces, benches, rooms, etc. posted before. It does not HAVE to take much, but it does take a certain basic compliment of tools, @murphysf.

I want to be encouraging and respectful of your wanting to get involved in this for a minimal cost. The fact is that there truly is a minimal cost to get into this. And it "feels" to me like it's more than you may think. I'd rather not see you spend $75 on things that will get you nowhere, and effectively waste the money.

Look into the starter kits that every tuning supplier offers. Terry at SlideWright can help. There are at least another half dozen sources out there. WE all want to support our sponsors, but checkout Tognar, Race Place, Race Weeks, ARTECH, as some other options.

Many of us really enjoy it, like working with the best tools for the job, etc. You can really enjoy it with our doing that, and have a nice result.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@PisteOff, that is a very nice set-up. Clean, everything in it's place. Nice bins to hold tools.
Perfect! Even with the Skier's Edge in there.

We've had a lot of tuning spaces, benches, rooms, etc. posted before. It does not HAVE to take much, but it does take a certain basic compliment of tools, @murphysf.

I want to be encouraging and respectful of your wanting to get involved in this for a minimal cost. The fact is that there truly is a minimal cost to get into this. And it "feels" to me like it's more than you may think. I'd rather not see you spend $75 on things that will get you nowhere, and effectively waste the money.

Look into the starter kits that every tuning supplier offers. Terry at SlideWright can help. There are at least another half dozen sources out there. WE all want to support our sponsors, but checkout Tognar, Race Place, Race Weeks, ARTECH, as some other options.

Many of us really enjoy it, like working with the best tools for the job, etc. You can really enjoy it with our doing that, and have a nice result.

Thank you. It's not what I ultimately want, but it does what I need it to do. When we move out to Tahoe I will set up a very competent shop and ski room. I started out with a race werks tuning kit and started adding tools from there. Race Place is a favorite site of mine and I have the "Base Beast" in .5 and 1. My edge tuner is a multi-tuner but it isn't accurate for a base so I only use it on the sides. I rarely touch my base with more than a gummi anyway. Its too damn easy to tune them under flush with the base and then you are heading into the shop for a grind to get em right again. Anyway, then I added a sidewall planer, a better selection of gummi's, cork, base cleaners, etc. If I ventured a ballpark guess I would say I did my set-up with all the tools for around 5 hundred. That includes, table, vices, shelving, peg board, bins, led lights under shelf, interlocking mats under table, etc.... When you have more than a couple pairs of skis to maintain you can burn up 500 really quick at the local ski shop or at the hill getting your stuff tuned, waxed, etc...Once you've become accustomed to skiing on well maintained boards you simply cannot go backwards. In fact, you become even more particular about it.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Hi

Looking to get some basic wax for my and my kids skis.

If I put wax on them now will I need to wax hem again before I go skiing in late December?

The more times you heat and cool the ski, the better it will get, so If you can do that, do that. If not, just go ski them and have fun.

Saw these on ebay, same seller (wintersportdeals) out of new jersey, anyone familiar with these?

No. If you are really looking for a "universal" wax the closest thing to that is the Dominator Zoom Series of waxes. You will also need Dominator Base Renew wax as a primer.

To start all you need is Graphite Zoom and Regular Base Renew. Later you can try the others in the series as you progress your waxing skills.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I like the Hertel Super Hot Sauce universal wax. It works better for me than Toko universal, and feels as good to me as the Swix temperature specific hydrocarbon waxes I used before. One was does it (almost) all. On really wet warm snow a specific wax for that will work better.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
thanks for all the replys

I think I will order from Amazon a 3/4lb brick of Hertel Super Hot Sauce All Temp wax for $25 unless there are better options in this price range!

Sponsor

Staff online