• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I see this as an unfortunate situation. LV has the chance to help bring left, right, and center together on the world stage. Everyone cheers for the home team. She has now alienated a large number of folks. In UA's eyes, she has ticked off that same large number. The reality is most will still wear UA if they already do, but they will lose some (thousands? Tens of thousands?) sales due to LV's statement. If you're a spokesperson for UA or any other item, you have to remember we all, left or right, wear clothes, drink beer, drive cars, or whatever. You don't want to lose half of your potential customers.

For me, I'll cheer her on. I'm not much into boycotting after someone says or does something stupid or I'd be running around naked and hungry.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Is it ok to say one good thing from Vonn expressing her opinions is that its one of the first times she has broken from being the Vonnbot to being an actual human being?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Is it ok to say one good thing from Vonn expressing her opinions is that its one of the first times she has broken from being the Vonnbot to being an actual human being?

I'm don't see it that way, but I do "get" and respect your thinking.

Here's how I see it. She has a big team of agents/manangers/PR/media folks around her and working with her. If you watch her in front of the camera today, versus even 5-6 years ago, she has come a long way. She's obviously be very well coached. BUT, I also imagine that she has coached in terms of how to "stay in her lane", and that statement was out of her lane. At the same time, having seen transcripts of it, and video, I'm not sure than she really could have answered it much differently. A more PR savvy person could have.

What we're seeing this year unfolding in the USA, in this Olympic year, is a large number of our athletes getting ready to transition into retirement after competing. And some have big support teams. I would say none more than LV, as she evidently may have a bigger career/income after she retires than she do now. So, I'm a bit cynical of whatever we will see or hear, and even more so as she fights off injury, etc., and we see that spin. We'll see her EVERYWHERE over the next two months. And based on last week, I think we'll see her carefully scripted, and on a shorter leash. This is not her comfort zone, speaking about anything. Bet than when you see on on Fallon, for example, it's well "thought out." Our she does not appear.

We're going to see a lot of Mancuso. I went off on a friend who is on the USST board about why they even have her in a uniform and on the team at this point. Why this BS and illusion? He was pretty blunt. "Who do you think the average American might want to see in NBC promos, in various adds, and who might bring in more money for us, the most decorated female athlete in our history, who happens to be cute as hell and have a huge personality, or a completely unknown up and comer?" Yep. I care about the future as we have absolutely mismanaged it. But on the business side......let's create the impression we need. I do not like it, but I hear it.

I think that Ligety is on the fence, and hopes that he's going to physically hold together, and ski well. I hope that he can, and that we see a bunch of podiums, maybe a win, maybe a medal. But no question, this year is a big payday for him, and he's about to transition out. He'll kill it after his ski racing days. Smart businessman. And a good guy.

Steven Nyman? I think he's going to retire, and I assume that he is lining a lot up. He's also a new dad. His partner Charlotte Moats is a great skier, and smart, smart businesswoman. I doubt if "The Olympics" are his focus. Assume it is where he heads next with his life.

Andrew Weibrecht is in the same mode, I assume. It will be interesting to see if he makes the Olympic team, this time around. I can see him getting ready to take over the Mirror Lake Inn, the family business in Lake Placid, over the next couple of years. along with his brother. Just a hunch. Or he could head in another direction.

I'm assuming that Dave Choudunsky, our best SL skier might be done at the end of this season. He's not speeding up, he's 33, and he's a Dartmouth grad. Might have some other things on his mind. I have no insight there. Just guessing.

So, yes, odd year for the USST. Older athletes heading out. Lots of "stuff" going on. I am of the opinion that taking whatever this group says with a grain of salt makes sense. The USSSA, and USST are heavily dependent on this for raising money, maintaining sponsorship deals, and bringing others on. And with the real potential of our only medals coming from MS, I am told that some sponsors question what we are not "better."

Back to LV. I am guessing that she has had a number of conversations about staying in that lane, and being appealing to everybody. I think you can see the "appeal to everybody" in her appearance lately. Toned down a bit. She always looks more universally appealing in the finish area than she does on a Hollywood runway. If her agent at IMG explained the business risk of this latest snafu, we might see her be a bit wiser. I'm not sure if she's ever said "I'd prefer not to comment on that," or similar. May see more of that. By the way, I am of the opinion that a bit of concern of what might come out of her mouth is nothing new.

We all want to see the "real" version of these people. We rarely do, IMO. I do think we see it with Ligety. I think he's very, very genuine, and
bright. He was raised with the thought that he might not be a world class skier, might have other interests, etc. LV, JM.....not so much. They were headed to the WC at 13. And what they are comfortable talking about, and "safe" at talking about is somewhat narrow in scope.

Just a hunch. Nothing all that new. But the media in 2017-2018 surely is a different thing.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We all want to see the "real" version of these people.

I don't think we want to see the "real" version. We want to see someone who is "loose" and seems "real" but still somehow colors within the lines enough not to piss anyone off. No human can manage that (but Bode came close, right?).

Muleski

Inactive
I was typing quickly! I think we want to see them in a certain light, and if we like that depiction, assume it's real.

Bode is about as unvarnished as we have seen, for sort of a bad boy.

Some of the others....very real. Ligety, Daron Rahlves. Many of the older skiers....very real, IMO.

Don Duran

Instructor / trainer / coach
Skier
Vonn's body is wearing out and like Peyton Manning she is hoping to have a storybook ending to her long career. But not every athlete gets that opportunity. UA certainly hopes she is more than the an also ran but even healthy her time as the dominant woman skier has passed. She might pull off an upset but I doubt it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The closer Lindsey gets to Stenmark's record, the further away it seems to get. These last crashes are taking a toll for sure and it is getting tougher and tougher for her body to recover. Racing against the clock on the race course is easier than racing against the clock of life.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Her IG feed (which, yes, I do follow) had an explanation/clarification on it. Seemed a lot like Baker Mayfield's "apologies" ie. written by somebody and vetted. Hey, I wish her well. This is America and people can have their opinion. Id still TRY to ski with her regardless of what she thinks politically - although i'm sure the UA execs and her agent were a little miffed.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have an old, as in 8-10 years, UA heavyweight compression top that is my go-to for very cold days. It's basically thin fleece bonded to some burly lycra nylon. Or something. i have no idea what exactly it is anymore but its ridiculously warm. Not designed for skiing but so what? That said, I'm all about merino now.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
The closer Lindsey gets to Stenmark's record, the further away it seems to get. These last crashes are taking a toll for sure and it is getting tougher and tougher for her body to recover. Racing against the clock on the race course is easier than racing against the clock of life.
Similar to Tiger chasing Jack isn't it? Most people are sure a record will be broken until something goes wrong with the body.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I have been following this thread and its varying opinions with interest. I personally give her kudos for answering the questions honestly. I am not sure why her answers were any more "foolish" than making a decision not to buy a brand of clothing because a company's endorsed athlete made a comment you didn't agree with. I doubt she alienated as much as 50% of the population given the popularity, or lack of, the current president. It seems as if people want their athletes, celebrities, and other famous people to be seen and not heard when they say something they disagree with but want them to take a stand for something they do believe in. In our society today people no longer respect another's opinion if it doesn't agree with their own. I hope she skis well and can get through the season without further injury and perform well in the Olympics.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Returning to LV's fashion sense, her speedsuit for DH & SG is all white, and, different from other US skiers in speed events, including Mikelia. This seems unusual, but, I'm no expert. Could UA be the manufacturer of her race kit?

Don Duran

Instructor / trainer / coach
Skier
Winning this weekend might help save her UA clothing line. After all everybody loves a winner.
Update on the outfit, we purchased an Obermeyer instead. No controversial soapboxing to worry about.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Returning to LV's fashion sense, her speedsuit for DH & SG is all white, and, different from other US skiers in speed events, including Mikelia. This seems unusual, but, I'm no expert. Could UA be the manufacturer of her race kit?
Still Spyder from what I know. Believe there are actually very few suit manufactures and given FIS porosity test changes (e.g. it's on the manufactures now to ensure compliance) I doubt UA will want to get into it (tough for a new company and very little market if you really think about it).

Vonn likes white, was an article a long time ago on SkiRacing.com (I think) that suggested white is slightly faster than the darker fabrics due to dye or something....regardless her suit is Sypder.

Muleski

Inactive
No question, on the right hill, in the right set of circumstances, she CAN both bring it and dominate. Lowered start, straightened set may have helped. Or not?

The question mark, and where I hope we all wish her well is staying healthy. She did not start yesterday, the day after the win, because she had some minor knee pain. She's been pretty banged up after her races.

Pretty clear that her sole focus and plan is to do well at the Olympics. Her next race start should be when the speed races resume mid January.

Her not racing yesterday may not be much to read into, at all. Might be something to keep in mind, when you think about the WC win record. We'll know more about that later in the year.

I'm enjoying her racing, was excited about the win {and the margin}. Who knows how long we'll see.

Wish her well, and sure hope she stays healthy, and injury free.

Muleski

Inactive
Still Spyder from what I know. Believe there are actually very few suit manufactures and given FIS porosity test changes (e.g. it's on the manufactures now to ensure compliance) I doubt UA will want to get into it (tough for a new company and very little market if you really think about it).

Vonn likes white, was an article a long time ago on SkiRacing.com (I think) that suggested white is slightly faster than the darker fabrics due to dye or something....regardless her suit is Sypder.

She races in the same Spyder USST suit, which has a white background as the rest of the USST women speed skiers. MS normally races in red superhero suit....all events.

Spyder pays the USST a lot of money for that deal. The only suits that an Anerican athlete races in, an a WC event, are the approved team suits. And, yes, they are all tested.

Now, as part of "the deal", LV has a bunch of training suits, some black, most white, which prominabtly display the gold logo of the LV Foundation. Not a "team suit", per se. Same material, same construction and build quality. No racing.

Lots of rules. Note that every USST skier has to display a USST logo on the front of their helmet. Minimum size is very small. But it's there.

Sponsor

Staff online