• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lots of good options mentioned and he's 2 more!
The Head Framewall is a fantastic light weight twin tip with a 84 waist with tip /tail rocker for catch free spinning. It has a sidewall that extends 360 degrees around the ski giving it more stability and making it chip proof. Works in the park and all over the mountain. I had a pair in 181cm for similar use to your son. Asogear.com has a pair in his size(171cm) along with the great lightweight Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings for $249.99 for the package! Amazing deal.

Another fantastic twin tip with tons of "kid street cred" would be the Armada El Rey or its new name the Armada AVR 84.(The 2015 or 2016 El Rey has beefier edges than the AVR 84, so first pick would be the El Rey). Full Camber with no rocker but not a "catchy" ski with great hard snow grip and still playful. It's around 84 at the waist as well in the 171cm length. Full cap construction which is usual very soft flexing but this ski not at all. Great flex and you get great durable and lack of chipping because of the cap construction. Amazon has the 171cm El Rey on for $359.99 for the pair and lots of places with the Tyrolia Attack 13 binding for $120 to go with them.

Good luck with the search!

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Just want to 2nd the Volkl Revolts as a solid option, Picked up a pair last year on the cheap to noodle around with in the park and learn some freestyle; ended up being my primary ski of the season. Ridiculously good ski at its price point. Fun, durable, versatile. They make a narrower symmetrical version this year called the Revolt 85 if that's more his bag. Pretty sure you can't go wrong with the on3p Magnus either.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm with a lot of you guys who say that your twin tip becomes your primary ski.
I have the Rossi scimitar and it doesn't matter the manufacturer, it seems like maybe it's an accident that these types of ski are so versatile and the factory's don't really want people to go on and on about how good they are, like no no ski the seven series or the enforcer.
I think because they hav to be sturdy for the landings it makes them able to go right thru crud and make you feel confident on the hard pack, and for what ever reason there JUST SO MUCH FUN !!!

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I'm going to bump this up with another question: hey, @dean_spirito, the Magnus looks like the ski. My son's 5'8", maybe 140, and I was thinking, directional skier that I am, that the 171 would suit him — but this is a twin; the effective running surface of the 171 is around 147 cm. Longer?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm going to bump this up with another question: hey, @dean_spirito, the Magnus looks like the ski. My son's 5'8", maybe 140, and I was thinking, directional skier that I am, that the 171 would suit him — but this is a twin; the effective running surface of the 171 is around 147 cm. Longer?

Just FYI -- ON3P measures tip-to-tip post-pressing -- not length of base material pre-press. Typically this makes them 2-3cm "longer" than most other companies.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
I would say that it is pretty much a matter of preference at that point. The 171 is certainly long enough to be an appropriate size ski for your son, based on his height and weight. But some people prefer slightly longer park skis and others like them short. Just a matter of preference. I personally err on the longer side.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I would say that it is pretty much a matter of preference at that point. The 171 is certainly long enough to be an appropriate size ski for your son, based on his height and weight. But some people prefer slightly longer park skis and others like them short. Just a matter of preference. I personally err on the longer side.

Thanks Dean.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Check out the Attack Demo's for him HERE. A great option if you also want to move the binding fore and aft on the ski.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Check out the Attack Demo's for him HERE. A great option if you also want to move the binding fore and aft on the ski.

I know — I saw that. I'm tempted. He has a pair of almost-new Z12s on his old Kinks, though. Thinking, thinking. Do you know offhand what the Z12 delta is?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know — I saw that. I'm tempted. He has a pair of almost-new Z12s on his old Kinks, though. Thinking, thinking. Do you know offhand what the Z12 delta is?
Delta Schelta,a Z12 under the feet of a teenager in the park is a bad recipe, the binding just won't be able to take it. To answer your question though, it is about 6mm differential.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Delta Schelta,a Z12 under the feet of a teenager in the park is a bad recipe, the binding just won't be able to take it. To answer your question though, it is about 6mm differential.

Ok — that's useful. I'll get back to you.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Check the heel track on the Z12 for cracks after you take them off the Kink.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Thanks. I'll sell the bindings separately — the Kinks have been drilled twice, and they're pretty trashed. Landfill. He skied the bindings maybe eight times; they're worth more than the skis (but not much).

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Ho-ho-ho! (Where's the Santa emoji, @Tricia ?) Super successful early Christmas present for the boy (I should say "young man" — he's been accepted at three colleges so far)! Took him to Okemo last weekend; he was ear-to-ear grins all day, and just on groomers.

Thanks to @dean_spirito for the rec and @Philpug for the bindings (toes look brand new, buddy) — and thanks to everyone who contributed ideas and suggestions!

IMG_9044.jpg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fantastic skis!!! Yes, he should love the Magnus skis. ON3P are incredibly well constructed and bulletproof. Their Kartel 98 and 108 are legendary for all mountain/park performance. His next skis....haha

Simon Buchsbaum

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Tyrolia Peak 11. They've been mounted twice because my first boots had a 316 bsl. They've hardly been used though, and never on boxes or rails; I had a wild hair about getting into park skiing a couple of years ago, but it just never happened.

Didn't mean to turn the thread into a sales pitch. I've been organizing the workshop/ski storage area, so selling these happened to be on my mind when I saw your post.

Here's a link to some text that explains the diff between the Fithy and the Jessie. Lighter core material, sounds like. The Jessies are solid, burly skis, though, so I can't imagine the difference is huge.

https://nextadventure.net/blog/2016-on3p-jessie-review/

View attachment 29089 View attachment 29087 View attachment 29088
Hey @SallyCat i was wondering if these skis were still for sale? Sorry to ask almost a year late.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ho-ho-ho! (Where's the Santa emoji, @Tricia ?) Super successful early Christmas present for the boy (I should say "young man" — he's been accepted at three colleges so far)! Took him to Okemo last weekend; he was ear-to-ear grins all day, and just on groomers.

Thanks to @dean_spirito for the rec and @Philpug for the bindings (toes look brand new, buddy) — and thanks to everyone who contributed ideas and suggestions!

View attachment 35287

But you didn't bring him to the gathering.

Sponsor

Staff online