• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tuning waxing kids skis worth it?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
@Jacques here is my high end WC/racing version. 30 seconds per ski.

with the right technique, this method can podium all the way to Europa Cup, for sure !!!

:beercheer:
:hug:

p.s. I can't find that watch anymore, so if anyone can find it in my other videos or elsewhere, you have a beer.

Nice work! I think the reason some feel a rub on works better than a hot waxing is because they fail to scrape and brush properly.

That said, a proper rub-on job can be effective for a short time.

For those that use rub on techniques, they must remember that the base still needs to be cleaned prior for best results. Rubbing wax onto a dirty base will not yield good results. If one is serious about a rub-on they should look into Swix Glide Wax Cleaner and learn to use it.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The answer to any question related to "should I tune and wax" is always yes. If you own skis and ski more than one trip a year, than yes. If all you do is one trip than have the shop do it for you. I'm home for the weekend from my work assignment and here is what I spent my weekend doing besides working with our new dog.....
View media item 1950View media item 1949View media item 1948
Not pictured are the Pursuit HP's that I did two weeks ago when I was home. I just got the GS-11's back from a fresh base grind and machine tune so they just got waxed and a little detuned at the tip. I picked up the GS-11's and left him a pair of SG 210's that need to be flattened out. I've been teaching my son to do his own. He will be doing his next weekend when I am home. I want to walk him through it again. Again, the answer is yes and furthermore, teach your kids to maintain their own skis. Kevin has a cork on wax, cork, and a pocket edge tool in his bag when he skis so he can touch them up whenever he wants as well. He is more invested in his skis now and takes better care of them as a result. It's a win win. Plus it saves you a bunch of money and will save your kids a bunch of money when they're older as well.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another positive is your skis can be ready whenever you need them in under 20 minutes rather than having to rely on, wait on, and then pay a shop. Easy stuff.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes and no... ;)

Most likely the little skis have the non-sintered base material, so hot waxing won't do much good. You could rub some instead and should last the day.

Yes, I've noticed that a hot wax on little kid skis does not last very long at all. Any specific rub on that you all recommend that is easy to use and is not too expensive? I tune and wax all the skis in my family which is a total of about 8 pairs.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
so I finally got an iron and had my first waxing experience

I started with my sons 90cm skis, and did a hot scrape 3x. Then brushed tail to tip with a metal brush then put on the wax, let cool, scraped, and and then brushed tip to tail with a nylon brush followed by a horsehair brush

then I did my daughters 100cm skis, but didn't bother with a hot scrape

all went well and went as expected based on all the input I got from everyone here as well as youtube.

one thing that I noticed when waxing with the iron that seemed a little odd was once or twice I noticed the the iron seemed to get stuck in a certain position, perhaps I had the iron too hot and slowed down and got things too hot??? could this have happened if I got the base too hot and start to damage it?

Sponsor

Staff online