• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
And so Im considering sportube. But honestly I do not know what I really want for airline travel. Im leaning towards sportube series2 (x2) for our families 4 pairs of skis.

One of the things about sportube is that besides air travel it also makes for a good car/suv rooftop box (if yu dont have a cargo box) vs an open ski rack with unprotected skis. So that's one additional reason to go with the hard box as you can get some more use out of it vs only airline travel.

But just how durable is the sportube (or another brand of hard ski case)

Is a good soft bag more convenient? Certainly easier to store when unused.
Hard case easier to roll through airports due to its stiffness.

The airlines and/or TSA agents damaging your skis id imagine the sportube is best to help protect them vs soft bag.

As for preshipping skis its a big expense even vs the extra cost of airline baggage. However there is always the chance the airline doesn't get your skis on that flight and of course that can be a real problem especially if you destination is hours from the airport and the skis don't arrive till later that night or even the next day.

So anyone experience with hard cases (sportube in specific) can share a review. And also what about soft cases experiences to share?

Pay the expanse of pre-shipping or trust your skis will be on your flight. Not even to mention being abused when you arrive.

The only time I ever flown with skis was back in the 80's (to the alps) with soft bags but the disasters of luggage handling just wasn't what it is today. Workers generally use to care more. Now its about less people doing too much and being quick as possible and little regard for your stuff.

So any experiences , info, opinions are appreciated about anything concerned on this post.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
And so Im considering sportube. But honestly I do not know what I really want for airline travel. Im leaning towards sportube series2 (x2) for our families 4 pairs of skis.

One of the things about sportube is that besides air travel it also makes for a good car/suv rooftop box (if yu dont have a cargo box) vs an open ski rack with unprotected skis. So that's one additional reason to go with the hard box as you can get some more use out of it vs only airline travel.

The airlines and/or TSA agents damaging your skis id imagine the sportube is best to help protect them vs soft bag.

As for preshipping skis its a big expense even vs the extra cost of airline baggage. However there is always the chance the airline doesn't get your skis on that flight and of course that can be a real problem especially if you destination is hours from the airport and the skis don't arrive till later that night or even the next day.

So anyone experience with hard cases (sportube in specific) can share a review. And also what about soft cases experiences to share?

Pay the expanse of pre-shipping or trust your skis will be on your flight. Not even to mention being abused when you arrive.

The only time I ever flown with skis was back in the 80's (to the alps) with soft bags but the disasters of luggage handling just wasn't what it is today. Workers generally use to care more. Now its about less people doing too much and being quick as possible and little regard for your stuff.

So any experiences , info, opinions are appreciated about anything concerned on this post.
My Sportube got run over in the rental car parking lot with my brand new skis in it. The skis were fine and the Sportube had a dent for about a week. Now the dent is even gone.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

First, unless you’re going to start traveling a lot, you may not want to spend a lot on ski carrier that you only use once in 30 years.

2nd, specifically on Sportube, it’s not good a roof box.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have two....err three issues with Sportubes. First, weight. Depending which one you get they are between 15 and 20lb and with a 50lb weight restriction that limits how much you can pack in it. Second, it is tough to pack since you have to pack from the center and lastly expanding on point two, when TSA has to search the bag, they cannot repack it correctly. Give me a soft bag with wheels that is light and opens up fully.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have used a soft bag (no wheels) to travel, it worked just fine and has lasted years. It is light weight and easy to store No history with Sportubes.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got the Dakine Fall Line a few years back due a recommendation on Epic. Fits two pairs of skis with boots and poles and I can usually fit my ski outfit in with it. Never had any issues with damage and TSA inspects it every time.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/travel-bags/ski-travel-gear-bags/fall-line-ski-roller-bag/
looking into that one but need the longer of the two versions as both my and my son skis are more than 175.
As matter of fact it appears they don't even make the longer version anymore and other brands seem to center around skis in the 160's and 70's as well.
But Im not figuring boots with 2 pair of skis. Maybe 2 pair skis with one pair boots I suppose at most assuming I can even get the right length?

I just worry about a soft bag when they throw them around and they wind up with all kinds of luggage on top of them and maybe even being pressured in some way for hours on the plane, etc,etc.

Im kind of lost as to just what to do even as for double vs singles. I know united allows a ski and boot combo bags to weight no more than 50 combined and counts them as one item even if separate. So its all a matter of protection, convenience and airline baggage limitations.

I do know for preshipping the few shippers I spoke to recommend the hard cases as the preferred packaging. That fwiw says something to me about hard cases vs soft even if I dont preship.

But I have read that if they open a hardcase they do not repack it correctly. Last thing we want are our ski edges grinding against each other. Bu last the we also want is our skis being bent with weight sitting on them for hours of travel.

Im also thinking if soft case to add air pillows and/or bubble wraps etc besides ski pants and socks etc. But again if opened who to say they would repack that stuff nicely anyway so we may end up with the same issues. And united states that anything non ski related would then make the baggage fall under different guidelines as well.

So im all over the map with this right now for my march trip. I really don't know how to go about this. As said last time I air traveled with skis it was the 80's and things were a bit different. regard for luggage's were handled a bit more friendly than todays fast paced over worked and understaffed world.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Bought mine in 2009 to go to the Mothers Day gathering. 5 trips so far and no damage. I have the single version and I'm not sure that the new 95's are going to fit in it. My 88's did.

Like Phil says you can't really get anything else in the case. Flying Air Canada, they only want the skis and poles in the bag or case. I can get a pair of winter hiking shoes with the skis and poles. I got the case because AC stated that sport equipment needed to be in a solid container. That included golf clubs too. So I bought one. I've seen lots of soft bags on flights, so I'm not sure they are sticking to that criteria anymore.

I've seen lots of ripped bags too! Including my husbands on a flight to Vancouver years ago. And it was a padded one. The airline repaired it.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
looking into that one but need the longer of the two versions as both my and my son skis are more than 175.
As matter of fact it appears they don't even make the longer version anymore and other brands seem to center around skis in the 160's and 70's as well.
But Im not figuring boots with 2 pair of skis. Maybe 2 pair skis with one pair boots I suppose at most assuming I can even get the right length?

I just worry about a soft bag when they throw them around and they wind up with all kinds of luggage on top of them and maybe even being pressured in some way for hours on the plane, etc,etc.

Im kind of lost as to just what to do even as for double vs singles. I know united allows a ski and boot combo bags to weight no more than 50 combined and counts them as one item even if separate. So its all a matter of protection, convenience and airline baggage limitations.

I do know for preshipping the few shippers I spoke to recommend the hard cases as the preferred packaging. That fwiw says something to me about hard cases vs soft even if I dont preship.

But I have read that if they open a hardcase they do not repack it correctly. Last thing we want are our ski edges grinding against each other. Bu last the we also want is our skis being bent with weight sitting on them for hours of travel.

Im also thinking if soft case to add air pillows and/or bubble wraps etc besides ski pants and socks etc. But again if opened who to say they would repack that stuff nicely anyway so we may end up with the same issues. And united states that anything non ski related would then make the baggage fall under different guidelines as well.

So im all over the map with this right now for my march trip. I really don't know how to go about this. As said last time I air traveled with skis it was the 80's and things were a bit different. regard for luggage's were handled a bit more friendly than todays fast paced over worked and understaffed world.

I keep my skis together inside the bag. For padding, I usually put my jacket at one end of the bag and my pants at the other and maybe a hoodie around the middle. I also put the tips or tails into my helmet on one end of the bag. That seems to be enough padding and TSA can get in and dig around the middle.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Transpack is another brand of hard cases. While they offer more protection, people I know with them mention the difficulty of packing.

I've flown with single & double soft bags, wheeled & carry. Never any damage. The point about weight is important. I've had to slide my system bindings off and put them into my carry-on in order to make the 50# combined limit of ski bag + boot bag (in which I never check ski boots). You ought'a see the look on the face of the inspector when they open my carry-on to check the sack of binding toes, heels, & brakes. Only one has had to call his supervisor to ask what those funny looking big hard boots were. I always sling my boots over my shoulder when flying.

Is there much difference in functionality of soft ski bags? Some have a few more features at higher cost, but unless one flies very frequently, how many of these features are worth the extra cost? Wheels for a double bag?--yes.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
It has a dumb-as-hell name (apparently it was the winner of a naming contest), but I think for the money the DouchBag Snow Roller is the best soft-sided roller case you can buy. It has this fantastic shoulder strap for rolling the bag behind you hands-free and a very cool way that it almost rolls completely up for storage.

It’s good for either 2 sets of skis, poles, and apparel or 1 set of skis, poles, boots, and apparel. I think it could do boots with 2 sets of skis if you pack it right, but I haven’t tried that yet.

https://douchebags.com/the-douchebag

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It has a dumb-as-hell name (apparently it was the winner of a naming contest), but I think for the money the DouchBag Snow Roller is the best soft-sided roller case you can buy. It has this fantastic shoulder strap for rolling the bag behind you hands-free and a very cool way that it almost rolls completely up for storage.

It’s good for either 2 sets of skis, poles, and apparel or 1 set of skis, poles, boots, and apparel. I think it could do boots with 2 sets of skis if you pack it right, but I haven’t tried that yet.

https://douchebags.com/the-douchebag
Full length padding all sides? How thick is the padding compared to Dakine ski bags?

Fwiw, I thought the original graphics, a very large bold font "DOUCHBAG" were great, the brand has been castrated with new graphics reduced to "DB" :nono:

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
i have a double Sport Tube that I purchased from Philpug as he was leaving the Philly area. I used it many times on trips west, and, I am pleased with the performance.
I am willing to sell it cheap, as I have another ski bag, but, the shipping may be pricey. I will donate 100% of the purchase cost to Pugski. If you or anyone else is near the Philly area, we can work out a meet-up location. PM me if interested.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
i have a double Sport Tube that I purchased from Philpug as he was leaving the Philly area. I used it many times on trips west, and, I am pleased with the performance.
I am willing to sell it cheap, as I have another ski bag, but, the shipping may be pricey. I will donate 100% of the purchase cost to Pugski. If you or anyone else is near the Philly area, we can work out a meet-up location. PM me if interested.
That's a nice consideration especially since meeting is probably doable within an hour to a middle. But I just don't yet know which direction Id like to go with this baggage thing.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Years ago, when my family and I first started traveling west to ski, we owned 2 Double Sportubes. They definitely protected our gear, but were a pain in the ass to pack/unpack and TSA always screwed things up when checking it.......sold/gave both away.

As a shop rat, through MDV over the years, I have purchased 4 Volkl Pro ski bags and haven't looked back......... Easy to pack/unpack, fits more stuff, lighter, easier to roll, nicer looking, etc. Everyone in the family has their own bag, and we are much happier rolling these things to/from truck/airport/house/condo, etc.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Sportube 1 that I got from Kijiji, so it wasn't a major investment. My Dynastar PT89's just barely fit in with the poles. And it wasn't the easiest to pack. (its for sale now if you're interested) I just use a nylon bag and wrap my undergarments around for padding. Hasn't been an issue. I just got back from a trip with 2 pairs in a older double nylon bag, and I do wish I had wheels on it. It weighed in at 38lbs. I have a Sportube carry-on backpack to carry my boots, jacket , pants , gloves etc. (Everything I need to ski for 1 day) . I thinks thats especially important when you are transferring somewhere to a smaller plane for your final destination. Thats when the risk of left behind luggage rises substantially

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Darn! I wish this was yesterday.

I would have loved to have my hands on it for my trip that's coming up on Friday...

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
and so Im trying to figure out which soft bag would fit two pair skis with one pair boots.
Im also finding many the soft bags don't seem to be long enough for skis 180+.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
and so Im trying to figure out which soft bag would fit two pair skis with one pair boots.
Im also finding many the soft bags don't seem to be long enough for skis 180+.

Can I ask why you want your skis and boots in one bag?

Two reasons not to do that :
1) Airlines treat a bootbag and ski bag as one item if you check both of them
2) You may want to carry your boots onto the flight to ensure they arrive at your destination

I don't know that I've ever seen a ski bag meant to carry boots too, but haven't looked very hard.

Sponsor