• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, if the dude is using a $12 pig brush. Twenty cent may just break the bank.

Usage of Bounty for waxing is not my cup of tea skiing. Perhaps to wipe up the spilled tea only.

But just think how fresh your skis could smell.... I need my skis's to have that 'freshly washed' scent...

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Sorry...totally different material. Try pulling your iron along the ski with a Sheet of Bounty under it that is saturated in wax....and paper is fuzzy. NO thanks. You guys trying to save 20 cents when you spend thousands on gear, wax, and lift tickets is just plain laughable!

^ Ha ha truth.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
This thing is fun!
Rotobrush.png

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
you should really Hot Scrape a couple of times after a grind and use something like Dominator Base Renew (3 different Products depending on Application) One for Clear Bases, Graphite Renew for Black bases and they now have Race Renew. then do a normal wax with Renew , let it dry and scrape it and then wax and scrape with your final wax.

The key to this is reading the instructions at Dominator's site. The Renew series and the Zoom series are a three hour cure. If you rush it, you can see the difference. The ski base will look almost hazy.

L&AirC

Skier
The key to making scraping easier is not to over-wax in the first place. Crayon the wax and use Fiberlene sheets to absorb excess wax immediately after waxng. One sheet does one PAIR of skis. https://www.amazon.com/Swix-Fiberle...pID=41bIidYC5PL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

So this box will do 100 pair of skis.

It also helps prevent overheating the bases. Leaves an extremely even thin coat of wax that is much easier to scrape.

You know I keep reading posts about folks doing this. I really need to try it as I hate the clean up of hot waxing. I bet it saves a lot of wax as well.

My problem is I'm such a creature of habit it would be like eating sushi with a fork and knife.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I can do 100 pair of skis with one box of that Fiberlene, it's time to try it.

Thanks for the easy Amazon link @Atomicman (I put it on my Christmas list)!

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but the real key to making scraping easier is using a SHARP scraper. Every time I scrape skis, I look over at my Mantac scraper sharpener, give it a smile and say I love you. :D

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but the real key to making scraping easier is using a SHARP scraper. Every time I scrape skis, I look over at my Mantac scraper sharpener, give it a smile and say I love you. :D
Me too!!!!:golfclap:

RobSo

Booting up
Skier
I love my Mantac almost as much as my Razor Tune. I just hope it lasts forever! I can't afford to buy it again.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The key to this is reading the instructions at Dominator's site. The Renew series and the Zoom series are a three hour cure. If you rush it, you can see the difference. The ski base will look almost hazy.
I just used Renew for the first time and it had a 24 hour cure and is hazy. So far, the skis look worse than when I started. Still have other things to do to them so I am hoping this clears up. Certainly not sold on the stuff at this point. Did hot scrapes first, although they'd been tuned, waxed and stored at the end of last season, then hot scraped, waxed, and used two days before coming home again. (They really didn't need hot scraping, in other words, but I didn't want to strip the skis before using this stuff.). Renew has a very oily smell while being ironed, and seems quite sticky. After the 24 hour cure I scraped and brushed, then scraped and brushed again because of how the ski felt and looked. Starting to apply next wax layers now hoping this improves. Right now, definitely not sold on the stuff. But the proof is in how the ski does going forward. They looked beautiful and glossy and in need of nothing when I started. Now cloudy/hazy.

L&AirC

Skier
I just used Renew for the first time and it had a 24 hour cure and is hazy. So far, the skis look worse than when I started. Still have other things to do to them so I am hoping this clears up. Certainly not sold on the stuff at this point. Did hot scrapes first, although they'd been tuned, waxed and stored at the end of last season, then hot scraped, waxed, and used two days before coming home again. (They really didn't need hot scraping, in other words, but I didn't want to strip the skis before using this stuff.). Renew has a very oily smell while being ironed, and seems quite sticky. After the 24 hour cure I scraped and brushed, then scraped and brushed again because of how the ski felt and looked. Starting to apply next wax layers now hoping this improves. Right now, definitely not sold on the stuff. But the proof is in how the ski does going forward. They looked beautiful and glossy and in need of nothing when I started. Now cloudy/hazy.

Sibhusky,
I'm not a Dominator rep but if you go to their site, they have email links. IIRC the guy is out of Stratten. I have talked to him a couple times via phone and email setting up deals for the race club. Good guy and I'm sure would answer any questions.

What I do know is the first time I used this I had the same issue (not with Renew but Race Zoom - Previous Rep straightened me out) but it was because I didn't let them cure long enough. That certainly doesn't sound like your issue.

Guessing, is it possible the application period (time heating the wax on the ski) was shortened or the iron wasn't hot enough? Again, I'm guessing.

Also, Renew is a very soft wax that is designed I believe to use to hot scrape to clean the skis and to prep the ski with a substrate that makes a better bond for following harder waxes being applied.

Another thought is how they were stored during the cure period. Again guessing but if you waxed them then put them out side it might have short cycled the cure process.

From Dominator's Tech Education link:
"Delivering wax to the base: The time element Sufficient time must be allowed between ironing and scraping: When the wax is melted (liquid), the cards are in random positions, away from each other. As the wax cools and solidifies, the cards are on top of each other but they are not stacked well and internal friction is high. After some time the cards organize themselves to the tight deck and the minimum internal friction. The cooling must be slow, if it happens too quickly (like taking a warm ski outside) the cards freeze in a position that has higher internal friction. Typical “cooling” times between ironing and scraping are overnight for very soft waxes, three hours for normal (pink, universal) waxes, one hour for cold range waxes, and around 15 minutes for extreme cold waxes. If sufficient waiting time is not available, paste or rub-on waxes are the best options."

Though you won't get a brilliant shine with Renew like you would with harder wax, they shouldn't look hazy,

Here's Naga's contact info from their site as well:

North America
Naga Kusumi
Dominator Wax USA
PO Box 440
Stratton Mt, VT 05155
TEL: 917-273-0818
Email: Naga(at)dominatorwax.com

He's also a Race Coach so you might not get hold of him until after the weekend.
I just did four pairs of skis with Renew or Race Renew and did not have this issue. My basement never gets below 55 and is where I store them during the cure process. In the thread on using Fiberlene I laid out the steps I went through. Because I had so many pairs to do and needing a total of 9 hours of cure time (Renew, Zoom, Zoom), I was using a timer for the three hours except the last coat that went over night. All the Renew applications, whether Renew or Race Renew, were right at three hours.

Sorry to hear you're having this struggle. I'm a big believer of Dominator and is all I use. I'm sure Naga (or others here) can get this sorted out.

Ken

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It was a warm room, with the door closed, my utility room. It's the warmest room in the house. Normally we leave the door open because you get so hot in it, but I closed the door to extend cure time. There's no thermostat in there, but I've been known (shudder) to remove my top while working. (Oh, the horror.)

Jacques

Skier

^Truth^ All waxes need proper cooling time at room temperature. Never place outside to rush cooling.

Jacques

Skier

Remember, Renew waxes are a primer. Never ski them without applying your day wax next. Trust me, you will be sold.
BTW, Renew waxes are not going to get "glossy". Yes, they are quite "gummy".
I always use Renew's to start prep. on any skis.
For waxing a customers skis, I always clean with Swix Glide Wax Cleaner, then Renew Wax, then the day wax with proper cooling of each.
Wax jobs are reported to last longer than any other.
I have seen the results.
I get the best results when hot boxing renew for 4 to six hours at 150 F

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, like I said, have some more to do, and the proof will be when I ski Sunday. (Not a fan of holiday skiing, but am hoping that they are worn out by then. Probably should have gone today, wind chills are -21.)

L&AirC

Skier
It was a warm room, with the door closed, my utility room. It's the warmest room in the house. Normally we leave the door open because you get so hot in it, but I closed the door to extend cure time. There's no thermostat in there, but I've been known (shudder) to remove my top while working. (Oh, the horror.)

I wonder if the highlighted part is the issue. Since the room is so warm it encourages you to remove a layer, and the waxes as Jacques stated are designed around room temperature, maybe it is extending the cure cycle. Again I'm just throwing out ideas as to what might be causing it.

Jacques

Skier
I wonder if the highlighted part is the issue. Since the room is so warm it encourages you to remove a layer, and the waxes as Jacques stated are designed around room temperature, maybe it is extending the cure cycle. Again I'm just throwing out ideas as to what might be causing it.

Even if one scrapes and brushes out well the Renew's prior to cooling, it will be fine as long as the day wax is properly cooled as normal.
The brushes must then be vacuumed out good after the Renew before you use them again. You must get the soft powder out of them!
I have found the Base Renew waxes to be the best for getting hard waxes to adhere.

Jacques

Skier
Here is the ideal power roto brush set up. Seriously with correct brushes think of the possibilities. Just don’t let @Jacques get hold of it.

Like that brush. One could get some serious structure with that puppy. But I would want the hand model only. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online