• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Thumbnail Reviews: An Intermediate Female Skier Checks Out 2018 Skis

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Following in the footsteps of @Stephen and his reviews of 2017 skis last year is me, lucky me, who was fortunate enough to test many of next season's women’s skis (some of which are already available) at the testing event held at my home mountain, Snowbasin. Like Stephen, I felt like a kid in a candy store and at times became almost overwhelmed by the choices. My goal was to find a benchmark ski and take it out a few extra times to compare it to the other skis. That benchmark ski was also to be my new Utah daily driver, as I’ve been looking for one all season. More on that later.

About me: I am a 47-year-old athletic, upper-level intermediate. I am 5’5” and weigh 117 lb. I have skied for 20 years, but I have had consistent time on the mountain only for the past two seasons, logging 88 days last year and 53 days so far this year. I am cautious by nature and lack confidence, which wasn’t helped by sustaining a tibial plateau fracture while skiing in January 2015. I love to mountain bike in the summer and have been an avid equestrian my entire life. I am fortunate enough to work at Snowbasin, so I have access to some great instruction by long-time L3 instructors. I have demoed a lot of skis the past few seasons, which has enabled me to tell the differences between them. Sometimes, it is simply, “I just didn’t like it. It didn’t work for me,” but I’ll try to articulate better than that in these reviews.

On Day 1, snow conditions were as challenging as I’ve ever skied, with dense, creamy powder up top even on the groomers, high winds that provided free microdermabrasion, low visibility, followed by sticky mashed potatoes and RAIN on the lower mountain. It was, in all honesty, a nasty day to be out skiing -- and yet there we were. I did not demo nearly as many skis as I’d hoped to due to the weather. I was soaked and exhausted by lunchtime, so I called it quits.

On Day 2, snow conditions were vastly improved, with buttery smooth groomers up high that became pushed-around piles and ill-formed moguls, followed by rock-hard corduroy and refrozen chunks down low that later turned into pure slush. The sun was out most of the day, so visibility was not an issue.

I took each ski through the wringer in these variable conditions. There’s no lapping only good snow at Snowbasin: you ride to the top, then you ski to the bottom and take whatever the mountain throws at you.

First, the favorites:

Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Dimensions: 126-88-110
Radius: 14m@166cm
Size tested: 166
Design: All New

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! The Black Pearl 88 became the benchmark ski that I ended up taking out three times to feel it out in all conditions. On the first day, I knew would be the last run of the day, as I was tired and really didn’t want to get out for another run anyway. I decided to take out a ski I had loved a few years ago when I was just moving up as an intermediate skier but felt I had “outgrown” the length. This ski has been completely redesigned for 2018, and what an improvement! Compliant and playful, it didn’t care if I got in the backseat, didn’t care what was under it; it just did what I told it to, and did it well. It easily transitioned through a huge variety of turn shapes without missing a beat. It felt much smoother and damper than the old version, and the tip shape lends to much easier turn initiation that, once locked in, holds even on hard pack and marbles. Extremely confidence-inspiring! I am getting a pair ASAP! Giggle, giggle, giggle! I loved them!
  • Who is it for? ME ME ME ME ME! Someone who wants a playful, easy-to-turn, compliant ski that has the chops to carry an advanced/expert skier and will get an intermediate to that level.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn’t like to ski.

Blizzard Sheeva 10
Dimensions: 131.5-102-121.5
Radius: 16m@172cm
Size tested: 164

This ski was a hoot! Super turny, maneuverable, and easy to get on edge. I could vary turn shapes to my heart’s content and these skis complied. Surfy, smeary, fun! I’d love to own a pair of these as my powder ski. They were light yet stable and did whatever I wanted them to. I giggled a few times in spite of the snow pelting my face, crashing into a hole created by what might have been a snowboarder’s butt, and not being able to see 5 feet in front of me. I also watched @Tricia lay down some railroad track turns on them. These skis can RIP!
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a playful, maneuverable powder ski that can rip.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who never skis powder.

Nordica Astral 84
Dimensions: 120-84-105
Radius: 14m@158cm
Size tested: 165

The Astral 84 was a very, very fun ski: stable, turny, light, and playful, and also easy to get into and hold a turn. The tip shape favors softer snow, yet it did very well on the firmer spots and death cookies. A close second to the Black Pearl 88, the Astral would be a wonderful Utah daily driver.
  • Who is it for? A lighter-weight gal who likes a forgiving, playful ski for primarily softer snow conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who likes a little more heft to their skis.

Below are the skis that I liked, that if given to me, I’d happily accept and ski the bases right off of them, but probably wouldn’t seek out to purchase.

Armada Victa 87Ti
Dimensions: 127-86-118.5
Radius: 16.5m@163cm
Size tested: 163
Design: Carryover

The Victa 87 was a really nice ski that has also been on my radar. It has Titanal in it (two sheets, I believe), which made it very damp and smooth yet still extremely easy to turn. I found that I could ski it in a very centered stance, where it would pivot and swivel beneath me and never miss a beat in any condition. I wish I had taken another run on this ski as I don’t think I got entirely dialed in on it.
  • Who is it for? Someone who skis centered and wants to play in the bumps and trees.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who does not like metal in their skis.

Dynastar Intense 10
Dimensions: 104-73-120
Radius: 15m@167cm
Size tested: 167

I went to the Dynastar tent hoping to take out a different ski, but they didn’t have anything available in my length at that time. So what the heck, why not take out a narrow, frontside carving ski? This was a nice ski! It was smooth and had very good edge hold. It would not let me cheat in my turn transitions yet did not kill me when I tried to (which I do, often). I think the 167 was a bit long for me. It handled every type of snow on the way down, including the slush, very well. This would be a really good firm groomer ski for me to really hone my skills on.
  • Who is it for: An Eastern skier who needs a ski that can handle a variety of conditions.
  • Who is it not for? A true tail pusher.

K2 AllLuvit 88
Dimensions: 128-88-110
Radius: 13.5m@170cm
Size tested: 170

This ski felt like an 88mm powder ski. It was very smeary, very easy to ski, but definitely lacked the ability to lock onto and hold an edge. It was playful and preferred a centered stance and could easily be a true powder ski for a smaller skier. It felt effortless but wasn’t my favorite ski in the mixed conditions as it definitely favored soft snow. I was told that I looked like I was skiing very confidently, but I never did quite learn to get along well with it.
  • Who is it for? A smaller gal who wants an all-mountain ski that can kick it in powder.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who skis in a lot more than very soft snow.

K2 OooLaLuv 85Ti

Dimensions: 126-85-114
Radius: 14m@163cm

The OooLaLuv was very, very stable and easy to turn on a dime, but it felt a bit stiff and planky. It does have metal in it, which might be why it felt that way. It just lacked the compliance of the Black Pearl or the Astral, yet it wasn’t any damper or smoother. It skied true to length and was maneuverable, but lacked some smoothness. I’ve had this ski on my radar for quite a while as a possible new daily driver, and I’m glad I got to test it out first. I’d be pretty content owning it, but it didn’t make me giggle like the Black Pearl 88 did.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a maneuverable, lightweight tree and mogul ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn’t like purple.

And now for the not-so-favorites:

Blizzard Black Pearl 78
Dimensions: 115-78-100
Radius: 16m@163cm

So, unlike the big sister Black Pearl 88 that blew me away, the 78 did not. Maybe I’d prefer it longer, I’m not sure, but it felt squirrelly and did not give me confidence. I didn’t make many other notes, as I just wanted to get back down to the bottom to get on something else. Tricia hopped on this pair after me just to make sure it was not a tune issue, and it wasn’t.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a sub-80mm ski for trees and moguls.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who craves stability.

Nordica Santa Ana 93
Dimensions: 124-93-112
Radius: 15.5m@169cm
Size tested: 169
Design: New Construction

I demoed the 2017 version of this ski a couple weeks ago. That version was zippy and fun, but very light and lacked some stability; still, I liked it quite a lot. This new version is a whole different animal. They beefed up the ski perhaps too much for my tastes. It felt a bit noncompliant in the powder and didn’t want to smear like I prefer a ski to do when I am hesitant/cautious/can’t see. I skied this ski on both days, and on Day 2, it felt a bit like a tank to this lightweight non-charger. It was a lot of work to maneuver and I think would wear me out in a hurry if I skied several runs on it.
  • Who is it for? A charging gal who wants an all-mountain ski a bit wider than 88mm.
  • Who is it not for? A lightweight cruiser.

Salomon QST Lux 92
Dimensions: 129-92-112
Radius: 16m@169cm

These skis were compliant and easy to turn but felt a bit jittery and nervous. I never did feel stable or comfortable on them. They seemed to hold up fairly well in the wide variety of snow conditions, but their feel just did not inspire confidence. They also had a tendency to slide out when I hit some of the harder snow patches.
  • Who is it for? Someone who likes blue skis.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who prefers a damp, smooth ski.

Go here for all reviews listed by brand.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great insights. Thanks for joining the team.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great insights. Thanks for joining the team.
Thanks for having me on the team! I should add my review of the Head Super Joy and a long-term review of the Black Pearl now that I've skied it a ton.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great article @AmyPJ. I really enjoyed reading it. :thumb::)

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great article @AmyPJ. I really enjoyed reading it. :thumb::)
Thanks, Stephen! And hey, we kind of match! Is it a Pugskier intermediate uniform or something?? Blue Pret helmet with a blue jacket?? :P (I would like to add that I have since removed the size sticker. I was demoing the helmet along with skis!)
16508072_10212304039862472_8326298117196253072_n.jpg

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I had the QST92/Lux 92 out at Tremblant for a demo. Not impressed either.

As for the Intense 10...winner for an eastern skier..

Did you get a chance on any of the Atomic's...loved the Vantage 95W.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Following in the footsteps of @Stephen and his reviews of 2017 skis last year is me, lucky me, who was fortunate enough to test many of next season's women’s skis (some of which are already available) at the testing event held at my home mountain, Snowbasin. Like Stephen, I felt like a kid in a candy store and at times became almost overwhelmed by the choices. My goal was to find a benchmark ski and take it out a few extra times to compare it to the other skis. That benchmark ski was also to be my new Utah daily driver, as I’ve been looking for one all season. More on that later.

About me: I am a 47-year-old athletic, upper-level intermediate. I am 5’5” and weigh 117 lb. I have skied for 20 years, but I have had consistent time on the mountain only for the past two seasons, logging 88 days last year and 53 days so far this year. I am cautious by nature and lack confidence, which wasn’t helped by sustaining a tibial plateau fracture while skiing in January 2015. I love to mountain bike in the summer and have been an avid equestrian my entire life. I am fortunate enough to work at Snowbasin, so I have access to some great instruction by long-time L3 instructors. I have demoed a lot of skis the past few seasons, which has enabled me to tell the differences between them. Sometimes, it is simply, “I just didn’t like it. It didn’t work for me,” but I’ll try to articulate better than that in these reviews.

On Day 1, snow conditions were as challenging as I’ve ever skied, with dense, creamy powder up top even on the groomers, high winds that provided free microdermabrasion, low visibility, followed by sticky mashed potatoes and RAIN on the lower mountain. It was, in all honesty, a nasty day to be out skiing -- and yet there we were. I did not demo nearly as many skis as I’d hoped to due to the weather. I was soaked and exhausted by lunchtime, so I called it quits.

On Day 2, snow conditions were vastly improved, with buttery smooth groomers up high that became pushed-around piles and ill-formed moguls, followed by rock-hard corduroy and refrozen chunks down low that later turned into pure slush. The sun was out most of the day, so visibility was not an issue.

I took each ski through the wringer in these variable conditions. There’s no lapping only good snow at Snowbasin: you ride to the top, then you ski to the bottom and take whatever the mountain throws at you.

First, the favorites:

Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Dimensions: 126-88-110
Radius: 14m@166cm
Size tested: 166

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! The Black Pearl 88 became the benchmark ski that I ended up taking out three times to feel it out in all conditions. On the first day, I knew would be the last run of the day, as I was tired and really didn’t want to get out for another run anyway. I decided to take out a ski I had loved a few years ago when I was just moving up as an intermediate skier but felt I had “outgrown” the length. This ski has been completely redesigned for 2018, and what an improvement! Compliant and playful, it didn’t care if I got in the backseat, didn’t care what was under it; it just did what I told it to, and did it well. It easily transitioned through a huge variety of turn shapes without missing a beat. It felt much smoother and damper than the old version, and the tip shape lends to much easier turn initiation that, once locked in, holds even on hard pack and marbles. Extremely confidence-inspiring! I am getting a pair ASAP! Giggle, giggle, giggle! I loved them!
  • Who is it for? ME ME ME ME ME! Someone who wants a playful, easy-to-turn, compliant ski that has the chops to carry an advanced/expert skier and will get an intermediate to that level.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn’t like to ski.

Blizzard Sheeva 10
Dimensions: 131.5-102-121.5
Radius: 16m@172cm
Size tested: 164

This ski was a hoot! Super turny, maneuverable, and easy to get on edge. I could vary turn shapes to my heart’s content and these skis complied. Surfy, smeary, fun! I’d love to own a pair of these as my powder ski. They were light yet stable and did whatever I wanted them to. I giggled a few times in spite of the snow pelting my face, crashing into a hole created by what might have been a snowboarder’s butt, and not being able to see 5 feet in front of me. I also watched @Tricia lay down some railroad track turns on them. These skis can RIP!
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a playful, maneuverable powder ski that can rip.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who never skis powder.

Nordica Astral 84
Dimensions: 120-84-105
Radius: 14m@158cm
Size tested: 165

The Astral 84 was a very, very fun ski: stable, turny, light, and playful, and also easy to get into and hold a turn. The tip shape favors softer snow, yet it did very well on the firmer spots and death cookies. A close second to the Black Pearl 88, the Astral would be a wonderful Utah daily driver.
  • Who is it for? A lighter-weight gal who likes a forgiving, playful ski for primarily softer snow conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who likes a little more heft to their skis.

Below are the skis that I liked, that if given to me, I’d happily accept and ski the bases right off of them, but probably wouldn’t seek out to purchase.

Armada Victa 87Ti
Dimensions: 127-86-118.5
Radius: 16.5m@163cm

The Victa 87 was a really nice ski that has also been on my radar. It has Titanal in it (two sheets, I believe), which made it very damp and smooth yet still extremely easy to turn. I found that I could ski it in a very centered stance, where it would pivot and swivel beneath me and never miss a beat in any condition. I wish I had taken another run on this ski as I don’t think I got entirely dialed in on it.
  • Who is it for? Someone who skis centered and wants to play in the bumps and trees.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who does not like metal in their skis.

Dynastar Intense 10
Dimensions: 104-73-120
Radius: 15m@167cm
Size tested: 167

I went to the Dynastar tent hoping to take out a different ski, but they didn’t have anything available in my length at that time. So what the heck, why not take out a narrow, frontside carving ski? This was a nice ski! It was smooth and had very good edge hold. It would not let me cheat in my turn transitions yet did not kill me when I tried to (which I do, often). I think the 167 was a bit long for me. It handled every type of snow on the way down, including the slush, very well. This would be a really good firm groomer ski for me to really hone my skills on.
  • Who is it for: An Eastern skier who needs a ski that can handle a variety of conditions.
  • Who is it not for? A true tail pusher.

K2 AllLuvit 88
Dimensions: 128-88-110
Radius: 13.5m@170cm
Size tested: 170

This ski felt like an 88mm powder ski. It was very smeary, very easy to ski, but definitely lacked the ability to lock onto and hold an edge. It was playful and preferred a centered stance and could easily be a true powder ski for a smaller skier. It felt effortless but wasn’t my favorite ski in the mixed conditions as it definitely favored soft snow. I was told that I looked like I was skiing very confidently, but I never did quite learn to get along well with it.
  • Who is it for? A smaller gal who wants an all-mountain ski that can kick it in powder.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who skis in a lot more than very soft snow.

K2 OooLaLuv 85Ti

Dimensions: 126-85-114
Radius: 14m@163cm

The OooLaLuv was very, very stable and easy to turn on a dime, but it felt a bit stiff and planky. It does have metal in it, which might be why it felt that way. It just lacked the compliance of the Black Pearl or the Astral, yet it wasn’t any damper or smoother. It skied true to length and was maneuverable, but lacked some smoothness. I’ve had this ski on my radar for quite a while as a possible new daily driver, and I’m glad I got to test it out first. I’d be pretty content owning it, but it didn’t make me giggle like the Black Pearl 88 did.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a maneuverable, lightweight tree and mogul ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn’t like purple.

And now for the not-so-favorites:

Blizzard Black Pearl 78
Dimensions: 115-78-100
Radius: 16m@163cm

So, unlike the big sister Black Pearl 88 that blew me away, the 78 did not. Maybe I’d prefer it longer, I’m not sure, but it felt squirrelly and did not give me confidence. I didn’t make many other notes, as I just wanted to get back down to the bottom to get on something else. Tricia hopped on this pair after me just to make sure it was not a tune issue, and it wasn’t.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a sub-80mm ski for trees and moguls.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who craves stability.

Nordica Santa Ana 93
Dimensions: 124-93-112
Radius: 15.5m@169cm
Design: New Construction

I demoed the 2017 version of this ski a couple weeks ago. That version was zippy and fun, but very light and lacked some stability; still, I liked it quite a lot. This new version is a whole different animal. They beefed up the ski perhaps too much for my tastes. It felt a bit noncompliant in the powder and didn’t want to smear like I prefer a ski to do when I am hesitant/cautious/can’t see. I skied this ski on both days, and on Day 2, it felt a bit like a tank to this lightweight non-charger. It was a lot of work to maneuver and I think would wear me out in a hurry if I skied several runs on it.
  • Who is it for? A charging gal who wants an all-mountain ski a bit wider than 88mm.
  • Who is it not for? A lightweight cruiser.

Salomon QST Lux 92
Dimensions: 129-92-112
Radius: 16m@169cm

These skis were compliant and easy to turn but felt a bit jittery and nervous. I never did feel stable or comfortable on them. They seemed to hold up fairly well in the wide variety of snow conditions, but their feel just did not inspire confidence. They also had a tendency to slide out when I hit some of the harder snow patches.
  • Who is it for? Someone who likes blue skis.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who prefers a damp, smooth ski.

Go here for all reviews listed by brand.
Great job!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the QST92/Lux 92 out at Tremblant for a demo. Not impressed either.

As for the Intense 10...winner for an eastern skier..

Did you get a chance on any of the Atomic's...loved the Vantage 95W.
I did not ski any Atomics, and I really wanted to. They also were not at our demo day last weekend, which I was unhappy about :(

Great job!
Thanks, friend!!

skijacksonhole

Booting up
Skier
Really nice write up. I did the same thing you did this winter, demoed a bunch of different models. Great job.:golfclap:

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hoping to spend some additional time on the Sheeva 10 this week, and we FINALLY have snow in the forecast. I'll add any additional thoughts on it if I do get to take a few runs on it.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just wanted to update this thread, mostly in regards to the Black Pearl 88. I made a few changes, including going to the 159 length from the 166 that I bought last season. Previous versions of this ski skied shorter, I feel. So, with input from my personal Level 3 instructor/professional ski tuner (my better half, and yes, he is all of those) I went to the shorter ski, and now I love them even more!

The 2018 version of this ski has much improved ice/hard pack chops. (Yes, they have a VERY good tune on them thanks to my aforementioned better half.) It also just enters turns with ease without feeling soft or noodle-y. I have had a chance to ski these skis in just about every condition (except deep powder) and I can honestly say, they do it all, and they do it well and with ease. Today, I took them in some wind buff mixed with breakable crust. Breakable crust used to really freak me out. Not anymore. I have skied ice chunks (death cookies,) ice marbles, sheered off hard pack, powder, hero snow, slush, you name it, and these skis make it all just that much easier and more fun.

For those of you looking for a one-ski quiver, these skis can do the job and do it WELL, and make it fun. Doesn't matter if you are an aspiring intermediate, or an advanced skier, these skis are up for the task, or DOWN for the task if you are like me and have your intermediate "moments" of missed turns, caught edges, or general ineptitude.

I plan to ski them exclusively except for the deepest of powder days, all season. I feel that my skiing is really progressing well since I got these skis, and particularly since I went shorter, which makes turn initiation even easier, and tight spaces that much more fun to navigate.

Sponsor

Staff online