• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
On the flip side ... some of us walk a lot in our boots. There is a decent amount of hike-to terrain at pretty much every place I ski, ranging from a 5-min bootpack to a 45-min trip around the backside. For me personally, walking in my traditional boots hurts my knees more than just about anything. Slipping and falling on ice or rock also hurts. I am in the process of swapping out all my bindings to the Dual Pivots, so I can use either of my boots without much ado. I can live with a little less precision on the snow, but precision isn't really my deal anyway :D. I give it two thumbs up.
You got me. I am about to buy new boots, and this thread is right on the money. Perfect timing! Thanks for the heads-up on those Look Pivot Dual Ski bindings.
I miss my old Look N77R bindings, so these look really good to me. :hail:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1 year later & I'm contemplating using the new Krypton w GripWalk w Marker ID bindings on my 'charger' skis.
Marker bindings that are GripWalk compatible will have a Gripwalk logo on them.
@Philpug can you validate the above- really terrible consumer information out here now. Can't even find the sole kits online.

You got me. I am about to buy new boots, and this thread is right on the money. Perfect timing! Thanks for the heads-up on those Look Pivot Dual Ski bindings.
The Look Dual bindings will take both WTR and GripWalk soles.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Cool.
The Gripwalk is available in the Ten.2 HVL, which is on my wish list for November.
Although, I have to admit, I am a huge fan of the Yaktrax Skitrax. But @SBrown makes a great point about hiking.
The Skitrax do come off at inopportune times.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Sorry to be daft @Philpug, can you confirm that this boot is GripWalk compatible?

https://www.dalbello.it/en-us/boots/freeride-tour/krypton-130-id/

It would appear that the reason the went away from the block sole was the Lupo style clog that accepts replacement din/gripwalk.

Again- not clear on any level for consumer.

If this is GripWalk compatible- it would solve a lot of problems!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, I was positive I was going to buy WTR compatible boots

It did not happen. I bought (yesterday) the boot that fit me best.

6D563C9F-55D9-43EC-AE8E-0266FBD0D9C1.jpeg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Why oh why does the ski industry insist on screwing itself over with proprietary standards. Awesome if you buy your boot binding combo at the exact same time in the cycle terrible for the rest of us.

I really need new boots but I'll probably eek out another season out of mine to see if Marker and Salomon can knock heads hard enough together to get a single standard. I don't want to be hostage to any manufacturer's standard in my future boots.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I was positive I was going to buy WTR compatible boots

It did not happen. I bought (yesterday) the boot that fit me best.

View attachment 31108
That is a quality boot, you should be good. As far as not being GW/TWR, that is not the biggest sacrifice, you still have a sole that is pretty good to walk in w/o feeling like you are Bambi on an ice pond. I am glad you concentrated on the fit first.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to be daft @Philpug, can you confirm that this boot is GripWalk compatible?

https://www.dalbello.it/en-us/boots/freeride-tour/krypton-130-id/

It would appear that the reason the went away from the block sole was the Lupo style clog that accepts replacement din/gripwalk.

Again- not clear on any level for consumer.

If this is GripWalk compatible- it would solve a lot of problems!
You are not being daft, it is really that confusing, much more than it should be at this point. I do not see a GripWalk option for the Krypton that you are looking at. I am supposed to see my locan Dablello guy this week to pick up the Tech Guide, that should either have exact ifno in to and I will also check confirm with him. It does look like the Lupo sole and the Krypton are indeed the same shape, so it should be compatible. On that note, it also looks like the Strider soles designed by Michelin would also work on @Started at 53's Speedmachine 110's.

q-auto-ecoboot_tech_michelinsoles_jpg.jpg

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I went in to the shop to have the annual check. I have Tecnica Mach1 MVs and STH2 wtr 13 bindings. I asked about the heel wear and the tech said he would order new soles. The OEM version for my boots is sold out. The GW version is available. Will these work? And do I need to have the Bindings adjusted again? This is all very confusing even with @Philpug ‘s great summary. I probably am being over cautious but this the one area I rely on the experts for advice. Tx.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I went in to the shop to have the annual check. I have Tecnica Mach1 MVs and STH2 wtr 13 bindings. I asked about the heel wear and the tech said he would order new soles. The OEM version for my boots is sold out. The GW version is available. Will these work? And do I need to have the Bindings adjusted again? This is all very confusing even with @Philpug ‘s great summary. I probably am being over cautious but this the one area I rely on the experts for advice. Tx.
The Sth2 13 currently is not compatible with Gripwalk. I know if it frustrating. I am hearing rumors of some more uhm...compatiblity coming down the road. As far as the DIN/Alpine being sold out, are all colors sold out, you can use a different color. Check Nordica too, same sole, again just different colors. I find it odd that all are sold out. I do not think that brands are discontinuing DIN/Alpine soles yet...there are too many boots out in the market that need to be compatible to NON Grip Walk bindings. Can you use a GW sole with a Sth2 13? I am not saying you should...or can....

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Sth2 13 currently is not compatible with Gripwalk. I know if it frustrating. I am hearing rumors of some more uhm...compatiblity coming down the road. As far as the DIN/Alpine being sold out, are all colors sold out, you can use a different color. Check Nordica too, same sole, again just different colors. I find it odd that all are sold out. I do not think that brands are discontinuing DIN/Alpine soles yet...there are too many boots out in the market that need to be compatible to NON Grip Walk bindings. Can you use a GW sole with a Sth2 13? I am not saying you should...or can....
I just looked for model compatability, i.e. mach1 mv to mach1 mv, they had 10.2. What nordica model is comparable to the mach1 if I might ask? And thanks for the info was just about to order them.

dcpnz

Booting up
Skier
The Sth2 13 currently is not compatible with Gripwalk. I know if it frustrating. I am hearing rumors of some more uhm...compatiblity coming down the road.

?? Anything more on this "rumor" ??

Might impact some imminent binding decisions

Sponsor