• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would be more than interested in just what makes a " women's specific " ski.

I recently was in a conversation with a proficient female skier who condemned a certain "women's ski" after having been skied out by same, but was still "too much ski " for an intermediate skier as a hand me down.

"get confusing" at times.
Again, check out the Shrink it and Pink it thread referenced in the original post. There is not blanket answer to what makes a women's ski, you can talk to 5 product managers and get 7 different answers. I can think of a few "women's skis" that even skied out are too much ski for a good amount of mortal skiers.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A "woman specific" ski is a ski made for light weight skiers and marketed to women but also suitable for teenage boys and little old men.
But not all women's skis can be described that way...Just saying. ;)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
FWIW, I'm a lot more "not lightweight" than @Tricia , and I bring a healthy skepticism to skis marketed for women, but in the last few years I've fallen in love with the Santa Ana, the La Nina, and the Zelda F106. The first two I believe are the same design as the men's ski, just with less stiffness. Works for me. I don't know if the Zelda is the women's version of anything, or its own beast entirely.

The last ski I found too soft was the Line Sick Day 110 - definitely not marketed as a women's ski, although their women's version, the Pandora, was identical except for the range of lengths.

And the fully rockered powder skis I've had so far have been marketed as soft, but were simply too heavy for me to ski all day in powder and chop. Those were unisex/men's.

Women are lucky in that we have the ability to choose from either pool without stigma, while men, if they are interested in women's skis, need to overcome some level of mental barrier and possible public opinion.

I had a guy admire my traditionally-cambered Icelantic Nomads 6 or 7 years ago. He saw the TheSkiDiva sticker on it and lamented that he couldn't ski them because they were women's skis. :doh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It might have been a brilliant marketing move, but they were not women's skis. They were the JJ's with REALLY ugly graphics. And, I think they were darn lucky that Oprah didn't sue for the appropriation of VJJ!
I will give you that. They had to be some of the most....ummmmm, questionable graphics aesthetically, but they also had an artist do all of their graphics, each with a story. It was cool of you know the story, but very few knew the story, so the questionable graphics are nothing more than questionable.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Man, this convo is really going downhill.

Edit: I have a very dry sense of humor, I should probably use an emoji somewhere here.
:crash:
More than "a little", but I appreciate it. ;) and they'd make an awesome shot ski. :martini:

@AmyPJ I think your first BPs were too short for you, but they served their purpose at the time.

**I won't take the bait** ** I won't take the bait**

I should have held onto my purple bulls just because they were such a cool looking ski. Would be fun to have around the house. Might be a good mogul learning ski, too.
Maybe @VickiK can donate one of her skis to you for a shotzski, so you can each have one to remember your sparkle purple bull fondly.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Isn't it a "murder" of Pearls
Pearls maybe, but this is the the Black Pearl named after a bull.

maxresdefault.jpg

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pearls maybe, but this is the the Black Pearl named after a bull.

maxresdefault.jpg
Whenever I see a bull this song pops in my head. Just replace "Bodacious" with "Black Pearl". Greatest song about a bull ever!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I have kept only a few skis in the recent years, one being the first Bonfide with the red bull.

I have had contact with @Betsyworld to see if these Bad Bitches are still around. It could be a cool pair of skis to add to the collection and fun for @Tricia on Retroday.
Find a pair for me! The Bad Bitches, I mean!

Xinga

Booting up
Skier
Speaking of VJJs, Armada does not seem to be doing them for 2018. Additionally the shortest JJ length is now 175cm. I personally would prefer the bro-fest symptom of a name that can be taken offensively vs. the even bro-festier symptom of not even having the shorter length available for women like me.

As a daily VJJ driver for years, I am very disappointed that I can no longer refresh my favorite skis. :(

Xinga

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of VJJs, Armada does not seem to be doing them for 2018. Additionally the shortest JJ length is now 175cm. I personally would prefer the bro-fest symptom of a name that can be taken offensively vs. the even bro-festier symptom of not even having the shorter length available for women like me.

As a daily VJJ driver for years, I am very disappointed that I can no longer refresh my favorite skis. :(

Xinga
I agree entirely.
Meanwhile, maybe we can find you an alternative with similar properties.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm all ears.
The first ski that I'd look at is the DPS Foundation Yvette.
I believe @SkiEssentials sells them.
I've had experience on them and liked them a lot, even better than the VJJ.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Santa Ana 110 is in that same wheel house but I have limited time on it, in the conditions for which its designed.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, you certainly would have a hard time losing the Yvettes in the snow ....

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Cc...2.294...41.0.bfLMCzrOR2k#imgrc=M5hBl1036HXGTM:

What about the Line Celebrity 90 (think the '07 or '08 version) as a pioneering ski? Yeah, it was a twin tip, but it was a strong women's ski that performed well all over the mountain and had some gorgeous graphics. In terms of graphics, I think Line was cutting the mold. I learned to hit those big kickers in the park on this ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hadn't thought of those, but now I'm thinking.