• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
With either the DMS or the MMS system of measurement , is that in your sock feet or in your boots ready to go?

When you are in your boots and on your skis on the snow a pole planted into the snowpack beside you should give you the forearm parallel to the ground measurement. So, grasping the pole below the basket while wearing street shoes in the shop should give you roughly the same measurement.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I will definitely admit I've screwed up!

... I also like my poles shorter than the system, so maybe that explains my mix-up. There is some amount of preference in ski pole length, but until you have enough experience that having a preference makes sense, follow the chart/system. The right one, I guess, not the one I listed ...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
With either the DMS or the MMS system of measurement , is that in your sock feet or in your boots ready to go?

Or better yet, in your boots, clicked into your bindings, on top of your skis, in your normal ski stance. Maybe some pressure on the tongue of the boot.

Many people often also "miss" on the fact that on the surface that @Started at 53 plans to ski, groomers, the pole is almost always used with a light touch...rarely planted up to the basket.

I'm 5'10". Been at this "a while." As I found myself skiing on fewer skis with race plates, and in New non plug boots without lifters, I began to ski a shorter pole. Pretty much 120cm, which is roughly 48". A 50" pole feels like I dragging it, and it's in the way these days. I thing my cut down preference is actually about 122cm.

I was using a 50" pole back in the 70's. Technique was a bit different. Maybe I was taller. I recall my dad fitting poles for me the same way when I was six, 1960.

I played around with my adjustable AT poles before getting out the saw, this time around, BTW. So cut down some aluminum poles. Skied them a day or two, Then moved on to the rest. BTW, all the same brand, same grips. The grip on any given pole can place your hand nearer or further from the top of the pole.

That Goode pole is a great choice. I assume that they are as indestructible as ever. The length adjustment feature is nice, as well.

Agree, in general, a lot of those new to the sport, or "returning" to the sport seem to ski a pole on the long side. No need to blast out of a starting gate, etc.!

As others note, you can always shorten them. So buying on the long side is not a bad idea. Kind of like softening a boot. Hard to go the other way!

Nice job on the boot choice and bootfitting, @Started at 53! A+!!! Awesome.

Great pole choice, too. Length? TBD! You're good with yours!

And yes, personal preference rules. Just don't talk to park skiers or mogul skiers....they ski real short poles. For good reason.

Lots of good scores on this thread!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Pro tip-Use $5 jr. poles from Goodwill store. No one will steal them and use the extra money on other gear. :)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
the pole is almost always used with a light touch...rarely planted up to the basket.

Totally off topic, but the term "plant" implies something a lot more aggressive than I think is called for* ... "pole touch" is more evocative.

* Unless you're talking about blocking pole plants, which may or may not be evil

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I didn't "need" them, but for $20, and currently drilled for my BSL and the right touring bindings.... I'll take them as an early season BC ski. Massive core shot (fiberglass intact) will be nice to learn some base-weld techniques on.

Moment Belafonte in 187.
R0vIRcM.jpg

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I didn't "need" them, but for $20, and currently drilled for my BSL and the right touring bindings.... I'll take them as an early season BC ski. Massive core shot (fiberglass intact) will be nice to learn some base-weld techniques on.

Moment Belafonte in 187.
R0vIRcM.jpg

So sexy- I've always wanted a pair of Moments!

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Here is my purchase I need to brag about. only $100 on Fleabay and the calibration seems to be right on. I had to build my own tilt vise. I just copied what VSS makes. I love having full access to a Machine Shop. now I'll be able to Test all my vintage bindings in the comfort of my own garage.

I would like to start a thread all things Vermont Ski Safety binding Release Calibrator. what would be the best Location? I learned to run one of these in the early 80's and the re is a great training video on their website but I'm sure I'll have questions for some of the more experienced users.

View attachment 30413 View attachment 30414
Here is my purchase I need to brag about. only $100 on Fleabay and the calibration seems to be right on. I had to build my own tilt vise. I just copied what VSS makes. I love having full access to a Machine Shop. now I'll be able to Test all my vintage bindings in the comfort of my own garage.

I would like to start a thread all things Vermont Ski Safety binding Release Calibrator. what would be the best Location? I learned to run one of these in the early 80's and the re is a great training video on their website but I'm sure I'll have questions for some of the more experienced users.

View attachment 30413 View attachment 30414
"Is it safe?" Szell (Laurence Olivier) Marathon Man

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Brand new ROSSIGNOL ALLSPEED ELITE 130 msrp $ 850.00.
I just picked up brand new 2017 for $ 200.00 on e-bay ( they are green but I'll live with it ).
For two weeks I was crying because the first time I saw them they only came in 25.5 and 27.5
27.5 is my usual size but tried these on in a 26.5 in Sun Valley a couple years ago and confirmed with a toe cap and some heat I should be fine.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier

Moment Belafonte in 187.
R0vIRcM.jpg

I have a pair of 187 Belefontes. You'll have fun on these. I almost gave up on them when I first bought them as I found them hooky on groomed slopes. After some reading, I dulled them back (I almost never do this) to just past the rocker point and they started to work for me, especially if I tried to be more neutral. They are great in cut up snow and powder under about 6-8" deep. Odd for such a big ski to not like deep powder but in crud at high speed they are drama free and easy.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice, you here a lot of good things about that ski.
The folks at Footloose in Mammoth really push that ski.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
746BF346-5CEE-49D3-9C9C-8FC80C583746.jpeg
68192AD6-2601-493F-BAF3-6ECA50E5A23C.jpeg

Added the 185cm Armada El Rey with Attack 13 bindings for hard snow/Park Skis, 181cm Head Collective 105 with Attack 13 bindings for trips out West and a fantastic, padded 2 ski bag with wheels from KGB Sports for $105 Canadian on sale. Just need some snow now!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not a deal in any way, but my bright orange helmet faded significantly within a few months of purchase. I just bought a bright green helmet from a different brand - it fits well, and I hope it'll hold its color!

Giro_H_NineMIPS_MatteBrightGreen_1_6.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online