• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Those must be the 177cm Monster 98 everyone was jumping on from ASOGear! I guess they raised it back to $369.99 as I think someone put the wrong/too cheap price on them.
Got 2 pairs of Attack 13 Bindings from them in the last month to go on my new to me park/rock skis, the Armada El Rey and my brand new Head Collective 105 to go along with my 2 pairs of Head Venturi 95 in different lengths.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Yes, those are the ones... had them on watch for a day or two, then a Pug posted the deal so I grabbed a set.* Really like the ski and binding, I may even get an 88 or 83 and mount 'em tech for b/c use. *AKA a pair.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Thanks to @Philpug "The Enabler" -- I have some new 177cm Monster 83s on the way to me for $200 flat. Now I'm officially pumped for the WROD.

Have some Head GTO 15 bindings (w/ 10mm risers) to mount up to them. May consider mounting w/o risers if I can source a set of shorter length screws.

Link in case anyone else is looking... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0163JFKJW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61HpO5jR8TL._SL1002_.jpg

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow.

Verrry interesting.

@jmeb, Do you know, what does the "SW" in the ski title for those skis stands for? And what year is this ski? (this or last year's?)
And what are they like compared to the 88? :) (pant, pant)

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wow.

Verrry interesting.

@jmeb, Do you know, what does the "SW" in the ski title for those skis stands for? And what year is this ski? (this or last year's?)

Not sure about the SW...but they are selling the same ski paired iwth bindings in other places. 99% sure its just the Monster 83 Ti, I've never seen SW elsewhere. They are $325 shipped with Tyrolia Attacks on the asogear ebay store or $200 flat at the amazon link above.

I haven't skied the monster series, but my understanding (from @markojp ) is that the 83 is basically just a thinned 88.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wow.

Verrry interesting.

Those are last year's. But a screaming deal. @Philpug has been adamant about how much he likes them--even more than the 88 if I recall correctly.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
'15-'16 graphic. Same ski as the '16-'17, just the gen 1 graphic.$325 with a binding... good deal!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
These two beauts are being added to the quiver this year...the tallest and smallest of the bunch. I can't even contain my excitement!! :yahoo:

The Nordica was actually added late last Spring and missed all the pow, so will be debuting this year. She will be skied; hopefully early and often.

FullSizeRender.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
These two beauts are being added to the quiver this year...the tallest and smallest of the bunch. I can't even contain my excitement!! :yahoo:

The Nordica was actually added late last Spring and missed all the pow, so will be debuting this year. She will be skied; hopefully early and often.

View attachment 31022

Very nice. I have a pair of Santa Ana 110s, powder and springtime lets go. Rtms are next on my list at the end of this season (demo sale). Need to work on a few things this season first. Congrats. What beauties

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
RTM 84 is a lovely ski and a prefect compliment to either the great joy or 90Eight. This season's is worth waiting for. The extra material (glass wrap) on the sidewall underfoot is a small, but excellent change. This ski just feels 'connected' and smooth without being high strung.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
RTM 84 is a lovely ski and a prefect compliment to either the great joy or 90Eight. This season's is worth waiting for. The extra material (glass wrap) on the sidewall underfoot is a small, but excellent change. This ski just feels 'connected' and smooth without being high strung.

This is pretty much what I've heard from everyone that's been on them. Even though they haven't changed much...those slight changes have made a great ski even better. After two east coast seasons of 100 underfoot skis (Santa Anas) being my regular go-to, I decided it was time for something narrower. Looked at the Code originally, then after much thought, I opted towards something slightly more versatile. Originally was going for the 86, but sizes pushed me towards the 84 (86 doesn't come smaller than a 167).

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

I demoed last year's model in a 167 at Lake Louise and had an absolute blast. I have never felt a ski so solid under my feet. I'd heard the change to this year is subtle but good. What you described is exactly what I've heard. I want to ski most of this season on my Head Rally's for some ski fine tuning and then pick up a gently used demo pair from one of my usual two ski shops who sell on eBay. I'm selling my 90Eights and have replaced them with Meier Wild Bill's which feel more solid to me. 90Eights although a great ski are just too light feeling for me. Bringing them to the swap today so someone should gobble them right up.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@elemmac my guy love, love, loves his 84s. He's got 2016s and it's his daily driver. I bought him a pair of 90Eights which do indeed seem to be a great combination. Between the two skis he's set for the season. He did just buy a pair Meier Big Hoss skis for some "fatties" so he'll likely end up selling the 90Eights or use them as an end of season rock ski. Either way, great combo of the 2. Are you keeping your other Santa Anas?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor