• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tesla Model ≡

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Apparently some ramping-up issues with the Model 3. Not quite hitting the production targets.
That is an understatement!
I have read that the 3 is being hand built and that accounts for the slow roll out of 8 cars per day. That would be about 720 cars for the 4th Q. Tesla has said 5000/week by year end.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had scheduled a Model X test drive today... While I did not do the test drive (still suffering a bit from post-surgery), I did everything else. Played with all the toys, sat in all the seats etc....

Wow, what a vehicle. Super expensive, but IF money was not an issue it would 100% be my next vehicle. It had a lot of features I was not aware of even though I have literally scoured the Tesla website.

I had one question that I only thought about after I left.... IF you park the car at the airport for 2-3 weeks, does the battery lose charge just sitting there?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
So Tesla just fired 700 workers at headquarters..that should do...something.. :huh:

Did they lay off 700 workers or did they actually fire them? If fired I'm guessing that some lawyers are going to cash in on a class action wrongful dismissal suit as it seems unlikely that there would be grounds for dismissal for 700 workers.

Do you have a link to more info?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Did they lay off 700 workers or did they actually fire them? If fired I'm guessing that some lawyers are going to cash in on a class action wrongful dismissal suit as it seems unlikely that there would be grounds for dismissal for 700 workers.

Do you have a link to more info?

Here's a link: http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/10/14/tesla-fires-hundreds-employees.html

They were keen to say they were fired, not laid off. I suppose the message is, "we have lots of work, we're not dying, we're just hacking out dead wood".

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Tesla fired hundreds of employees in past week

Tesla Fires Underperforming Workers After Annual Evaluation

“As with any company, especially one of over 33,000 employees, performance reviews also occasionally result in employee departures,” the company said in the statement. “Tesla is continuing to grow and hire new employees around the world.”

What does it say about a company that fires hundreds of underperforming workers rather than trying to improve their skills and performance. How long will the training of new employees take and how much extra cost is incurred with the employee turnover?

Big red flag for me. I would never invest in a company like Telsa. Telsa's technology is impressive and will survive but ultimately the company may not.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah..words like "sacrificial lamb" and "ritual killing" have popped up more and more in the workplace. Kill the chicken to scare the monkey I suppose.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I had one question that I only thought about after I left.... IF you park the car at the airport for 2-3 weeks, does the battery lose charge just sitting there?
Yes, by my observation 2-4 rated miles overnight, could be much more if it's cold.

We travel a lot, and we leave the Tesla plugged in at home at 50% charge, which is supposed to be best for battery life. I rarely leave a car at the airport these days with Uber, etc. available. It has to be a one week or less trip. And I would also take a different car if leaving at an airport for any extended period.

This is a valid question though. A moderately charged Tesla maintains itself in a state of readiness which consumes that 2-4 miles range overnight. When I arrive at Mammoth with ~40 miles rated range and temps in the 30 degree range I get a warning encouraging me to charge, which I do at dinner upon arrival. So I have never experienced the next step.

From what I read the car will switch to a power saving mode to prevent a complete discharge of the battery. There are some functions which may not work like the regen braking when you next use the car until the battery gets warmed into a normal temperature range. And when you then take it to a supercharger, it will charge slowly for a while until the battery is warmer.

There was an announcement today that the timetable for 5,000 per week Model 3 production has been pushed forward 3 months. There are reports of some of the early cars going back to the factory for fixes.

At some point delay will become a problem. But I still think it's more important to get the production bugs sorted out before high volume production to the reservation holders begins. Nearly all of those early orders are to employees in the Bay Area near the factory. The local Burbank Service Center does not know of any SoCal Model 3 deliveries yet.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No chat yet about the new big rig and what it'll do to supply of the parts it shares with the Model 3 like motors?

Ambitious? Certainly. Unprecented? Well who has tried to enter the mass market auto, truck, service and refuelling business simultaneously before.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Tesla Model 3 Owner's Manual has been posted online:

Sponsor

Staff online