• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swix Evo Pro

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since we seem to be getting back into the swing of things (dry land is well underway, snowmaking starts in 20 days or less) it's time to think about skis.

I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with the Swix Evo Pro and if that is a tool you would recommend to race parents. My reason for the Swix is it seems pretty straight forward in use, it's cheap and well suppprted with most shops carrying the grinding discs. Athletes are using four pair of skis, but it is generally only two pair are tuned at once. A few parents have two kids.

I realize there are better machines than the Swix, but it seems like a good blend of cost, ease of use, and guaranteed parts availability.

Thoughts?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't used one yet bob but a couple of my athletes have bought them. I will see if I can get any updates from them

Skiboatr

Booting up
Skier
I got a tuning machine last year after seeing a parent using s Snowglide. It is a great machine but costs $1700!! That was out of my budget so I tried the Swix EVO and Razor Tune since both are in the $500-$600 range.

The Swix is very compact and lighweight, so nice for traveling to races. It worked well but only removes a very small amount of edge (multiple passes to get sharp) Also the angle change dial makes it easy to change angles. Like a file guide, you have to be careful to keep side pressure against the edge.

I ended up getting the Razor Tune because it is a more substantial tool and you use it with the base flat like the Snowglide. It has a strong motor, tunes very quickly and gives an amazing edge. I've been tuning race skis for years and it is as good or better than what I can do with a file & diamond stones. Changing edge angles has screws to switch out plates on the bottom. A bit of a pain, but I always tune a 3 degrees, so a non-issue for me.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I spent a weekend around a bunch of tuning
Crazed parents during the local semi finals last
Spring and has the chance to try out both.
IMG_3368.JPG
The consensus was the Swix evo was more
Like a toy and the Razor tune was the one to have.
I will be buying a razor tune myself come fall.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Oh, those look awesome!
What do you think @Philpug?
Wouldn't one of those come in handy on Mother's Day!
(Which I will not miss this year).

TS
BGreen

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks, I had forgotten about the Razor Tune. I can get the Swix units for about half the cost. Maybe I’ll just recommend parents get something and just provide info for the various options.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Haven't used one, but I bought a pair of U16 Rossi FIS Hero GS skis last season that had been prepared with a Swix machine. I'd rate the result as first class. Then, I don't know if the machine is ankward to use or if it breaks easily.

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been using a Swix Evo Pro since they very first came out, for its intended purpose, it does an excellent job. They are very compact, lightweight and extremely easy to use and more importantly, especially for the novice/new/younger tuner, they are very easy to learn how to use. IMO, this is a great machine for those who want to maintain and keep a consistent and extremely sharp edge, that just about anyone of all ages can learn to use. It's not particularly powerful, which is a good thing because that makes it much more difficult to screw things up, but being not very powerful of a machine I believe its intended purpose is more for edge maintenance rather than setting or changing edge bevels.

TS
BGreen

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Thanks @Polo that’s great information. Do you have experience to be able to comment on how long the discs last and which ones I should tell people to get? One of my concerns was the discs seem very expensive for the amount of material on them, but that may be moot if they last a while.

For example, they are about the same price as the Carrot grinding wheels, and clearly a different design. I’m concerned about recommending a product with an unusually high usage cost.

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
@Thanks @Polo that’s great information. Do you have experience to be able to comment on how long the discs last and which ones I should tell people to get? One of my concerns was the discs seem very expensive for the amount of material on them, but that may be moot if they last a while.

For example, they are about the same price as the Carrot grinding wheels, and clearly a different design. I’m concerned about recommending a product with an unusually high usage cost.

I have all three but primarily use the medium disk and I'm still using the original medium disk I got with it.

It's been mentioned before but I'll say it again, it is very important that the sidewalls are pulled back when doing any side edge tuning, whether it's with hand tools or a machine.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I bought the medium and coarse discs as add-ons. When they arrived the "coarse" disc seemed smoother than even the fine, and didn't seem to do much. A Swix rep replied quickly agreeing that the discs maybe have been mislabeled. It's been over a week since then and still no reply with the promised return shipping info. I'm not getting good vibes right now.

Martinr007

Booting up
Skier
Hi,

After a lot of swithering I eventually bought a Swix EVO tuner. I’m happy with the results so far as I bought it mainly to save time. I’ve 4 girls (3 eldest race) and 14 pairs of skis between us all so spend half my life tuning skis.

Anyway, I was wondering, to anyone who uses this or the Razortune, Carrot etc do you finish with a diamond and Arkansas stone afterwards?

Before I bought the tool I’d always use a 400,600, 1000 diamond and then Arkansas. I have the fine and extra fine discs and am wondering if it’s it worth using the diamonds or Arkansas stone afterwards? It just doesn’t seem right not using them :)

TS
BGreen

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just run a ceramic lightly up the base and side edges to remove any burr that may have formed, followed by either a gummy or scotchbrite to blend sharp and dull areas on the edge.

If I were tuning for a speed event, I’d finish with a finer disc.

James

Out There
Instructor
Before I bought the tool I’d always use a 400,600, 1000 diamond and then Arkansas. I have the fine and extra fine discs and am wondering if it’s it worth using the diamonds or Arkansas stone afterwards? It just doesn’t seem right not using them
It's insane to go to 1000 grit stones tuning for juniors. Even not juniors for tech it's unnecessary. Esp with 14 pairs to do. You could stop at file then 200. Maybe go to 400 since your Jonesing, but then put the brakes on.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a Protek grinder. After doing the edge I normally give it a couple of passes with a 1000 stone just to finish off on the side edges. Then,aa always, I Run an Arkansas stone over the base edge

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
Sounds like we all are doing something similar-ish. I typically use a fine disk with my Swix Evo and a ceramic or surgical hard stone on the base edge to finish.

Martinr007

Booting up
Skier
It's insane to go to 1000 grit stones tuning for juniors. Even not juniors for tech it's unnecessary. Esp with 14 pairs to do. You could stop at file then 200. Maybe go to 400 since your Jonesing, but then put the brakes on.

The 1000 grit wasn’t for speed :) I’d thought finishing with the higher grits and Arkansas would simply keep the edge sharper for longer. Ahh well that’s god knows how many hours of my life I’m not getting back :)

Martinr007

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the replies, a 1000grit and an Arkansas to finish it is then.

Cheers,
Martin

Sponsor

Staff online