• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggestions for ski bag repair!

apache

Booting up
Inactive
HI Skiers,

Last year, my ski bag fell victim to AA baggage handlers at Philly. One end of the bag has tears and gouging in the canvas. The location of the damage makes getting a patch in place via an iron difficult. Would it be worthwhile to visit an alterations/sewing shop to see what they can do with it? Are there irons designed to get into tight places to apply patches? Besides patching what might be another means of repair?

Thanks!!

G

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
One of my bags had the end ripped open a couple years ago. I stitched it back together with 50 pound test braided fishing line and a large sewing needle. Looks ugly, but it worked and is still going strong.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
One of my bags had the end ripped open a couple years ago. I stitched it back together with 50 pound test braided fishing line and a large sewing needle. Looks ugly, but it worked and is still going strong.
And the problem is...?
Ugly and still going strong?
That could be my motto!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I second specialty outdoors as referenced above. While she didn't repair my ski bag, she turned a pullover jacket into a zippered jacket and it is flawless. She does fabulous work.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When the airline damages your property you can report it at the baggage claim and they will refer you to a luggage repair service and pay for the repair or send you a replacement bag or $ to buy a new bag.

However, they won't do anything if you try to report it a week after your trip..

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found a local awning/tent/boat cover/truck tarp sewing shop. The put some great super heavy duty fabric patches inside and out and sewed it on tight.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
When the airline damages your property you can report it at the baggage claim and they will refer you to a luggage repair service and pay for the repair or send you a replacement bag or $ to buy a new bag.

However, they won't do anything if you try to report it a week after your trip..

^^Not always the case, esp. if you aren't a flyer with status on the airline, but doesn't hurt to ask, just don't be shocked. Also you will be filling out forms forever and faxing them off to never never land.

The bottom of my double concourse is a patchwork quilt of tears - I have used this stuff and it works really well - if there is a flat surface - I use aquaseal around the edges. I have used waxed dental floss and a large sewing needle to fix zippers that get ripped out. the cost of sending a bag out vs. fixing it yourself is pretty compelling to learn to sew.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045CQEL...t=&hvlocphy=9009970&hvtargid=pla-308454555330

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^Not always the case, esp. if you aren't a flyer with status on the airline, but doesn't hurt to ask, just don't be shocked. Also you will be filling out forms forever and faxing them off to never never land.

The bottom of my double concourse is a patchwork quilt of tears - I have used this stuff and it works really well - if there is a flat surface - I use aquaseal around the edges. I have used waxed dental floss and a large sewing needle to fix zippers that get ripped out. the cost of sending a bag out vs. fixing it yourself is pretty compelling to learn to sew.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045CQEL...t=&hvlocphy=9009970&hvtargid=pla-308454555330

I used to manage retail outlets for a luggage and specialty goods chain that did airline claim repairs for all of DFW and Love Field airports. I can tell you the airlines are 100% responsible for all damage to any item designed to be "luggage". There are dollar limits per item and per ticket though and things like "removable" straps and "removable" wheels may be excluded.

Bottom line is that you HAVE to show it to them right there at there at the baggage claim to hold them accountable. That usually means waiting for an hour or so to speak to a human at the baggage claim or ticket counter late in the night after being exhausted from a long trip or while already late for a hotel reservation check in.

Hole in your luggage is something they are always mandated by federal law to repair or replace though... As long as you can show it happened right then and there..

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Good points. The cost to ship a ski bag to and from is generally pretty steep. We had had a lot of repairs and alterations done on clorhing, but the shipping is minimal, and often the value of the clothing much higher.

We're sailors, and live on the coast, so my "go to" on this kind of stuff is also a sailmaker or a canvas shop. Reasonable. Looks good, lasts.

You can also DIY. The suggestion of 50 {or even 30} lb. test braided fish line is a good one. You can also buy a pretty cheap sail repair sewing kit on line. West Marine is a good source.

IME, stitching works. Ugly and effective is OK, for sure.

I would fix it, as if you fly with it ripped, I'd take it as a guarantee that it will open up even more on the next flight.

Good luck.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Check with a local luggage repair shop. They're used to this sort of repair as well as luggage-quality zipper replacement. They might even be able to add reinforcement to make it tougher than new.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@crgildart That may very well be true on paper, but in reality if you read the contract of carriage on AA website (which basically absolves them from most things) and combine it with the form you get to fill out (link) without any practical way to follow-up or track the process.- im going tenacious tape route every time. Also good luck with the baggage person at the service desk. In my experience, it has to be pretty bad/catastrophic for them to act. Ive had all types of things denied. zippers ripped, straps pulled off, wheels on a brand new bike carrier ripped off, etc. The "tears" have always been classified as "minor damage". Im a 2 million mile flyer and Platinum Elite for AA. - Id assume they might do a little more economic cost benefit as they process my clairms than the average. Just my experience and worth what you paid for it.

Contract of Carriage - https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp#baggageliability
Form: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp#baggageliability

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@crgildart That may very well be true on paper, but in reality if you read the contract of carriage on AA website (which basically absolves them from most things) and combine it with the form you get to fill out (link) without any practical way to follow-up or track the process.- im going tenacious tape route every time. Also good luck with the baggage person at the service desk. In my experience, it has to be pretty bad/catastrophic for them to act. Ive had all types of things denied. zippers ripped, straps pulled off, wheels on a brand new bike carrier ripped off, etc. The "tears" have always been classified as "minor damage". Im a 2 million mile flyer and Platinum Elite for AA. - Id assume they might do a little more economic cost benefit as they process my clairms than the average. Just my experience and worth what you paid for it.

Contract of Carriage - https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp#baggageliability
Form: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp#baggageliability

It's not all that different from the process for a lost bag. Same hoops to jump through. Hundreds of people a month brought us damaged bags with airline claim forms for us to repair or replace.So, it's not impossible to do. I reported damage about 10 years ago and it was quite tedious but following the steps did result in my bag getting repaired.. dropped off at mall luggage store, shipped to repair shop, and back to my house.

One of the many reasons I prefer to drive whenever possible.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A sail maker would have the tools to fix it as well.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@crgildart im sure you know best, Just pointing out that the airline is expressly not responsible for ALL damage. They aren't. Easier and more time efficient to fix yourself in most situations. Sailmaker, cobbler, Tenacious Tape/Aquaseal are options.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Local shoe repair may be best and cheapest option. Sailmaker will be too expensive. @Muleski had right idea, get some sail repair kit from West Marine, and have a bash at it yourself .

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found a local awning/tent/boat cover/truck tarp sewing shop. The put some great super heavy duty fabric patches inside and out and sewed it on tight.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Easier and more time efficient to fix yourself in most situations.

You're right, absolutely correct, no question...
And that's why you're wrong, because it's precisely what airlines, etc. count on:
Make it "not worth the time" and they won't make us pay for our screwups.
And yet, and yet...I could be spending that hour on the snow...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You're right, absolutely correct, no question...
And that's why you're wrong, because it's precisely what airlines, etc. count on:
Make it "not worth the time" and they won't make us pay for our screwups.
And yet, and yet...I could be spending that hour on the snow...

Exactly.. Choosing to just eat it yourself and not bother them for their responsibility is them winning the game again.. Wanna know another fun fat about most airlines I learned a few years ago. In order to reduce the number of complaints they get about how long people have to wait for their luggage following flights the airlines decided to start using the FARTHEST gate away from the baggage claim areas available. That way it takes you longer to get there and start waiting... fewer complaints about having to wait so long..

Sponsor