• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stereo Zenith V3?

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone skied the Zenith V3 (last version)? I am currently on the original Piste RS and love them (East Coast), but looking to add a cut up powder/spring soft snow ski as well. Heading to UT in a few weeks and don't feel like tossing money away on demos again. Also looking at Rustler 10's which seem to be most folk's favorite. The Zenith is almost the same ski dimensionally and core wood just no metal layer. Also looking for something relatively light to possibly strap to a pack (Tuckerman's). If on wide open space I charge pretty hard, but when in UT I tend to hike/traverse to get away from the crowds and into trees/tight chutes/deeper chopped up snow. I found some terribly tempting deals on the Stereo, Rustler and Black Crows Atris.

Thanks much,
Bob

TS
B

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
The right tool for the right job. Just got back from Alta/Snowbird (March 24/2024). Had two days of windblown hardpack (to put it kindly) then a classic Wasatch powder DUMP. I will caveat this review. I have been skiing for +45 years on GS skis out East (hard and fast snow, 6'x160lbs), and these 183 Stereo Zenith V3's were my first powder skis. I assume my feedback would be the same for a bunch of different skis in the same catagory, but I got these for 50% off and couldn't resist.

As long as there is snow to push, the Zenith V3's were phenomenal. I was struggling a bit with edge bite on the hard stuff because of the higher angles needed on a wider ski, but that was a "me" issue. The edge hold on hardpack/ice was pretty good (not GS good, but close), and chatter was surprisingly minimal. They nailed the rubber content in there. Where these skis really came to life was in the +12" powder. I got up to Snowbird late (Powder Panic is real and fills the lots by 8:30am, who knew), so I was plowing through chop all afternoon. The float combind with the ability to easily change direction was eye opening. Back in the old days, I really struggled cranking around my 205's in powder, but the Zenith's were an absolute dream. Don't fight the ski, let it do what it wants and you'll have a blissful day.

The two things that supprised me most: 1. On the groomers/shallow soft snow they absolutely RIP high speed arcs with excellent feedback. Nothing noodly here. 2. How light they are. When I pulled them out of the box I was afraid they were going to be excessively flexy and/or nervous becasue they were so light. Not at all. Now I don't weigh a lot, but this ski seemed like it could take a lot more abuse then I am capable of putting into it.
One of the odd things I was not prepared for was how loud they are. If the tips bonk together or bounce on hard chunks (like death cookies, also not fun with these skis) they rattle pretty loud. That may be all wide skis, but it supprised me.

All in all I am super happy to add the Zenith V3 alongside the Piste RS's for a perfect (for me) 2 ski combo. I had an amazing power day and even stubled across an hero chute to turn them down.

On to Mt Biking in NH,
Bob K.

Attachments

• Snowbird 24Mar2024.jpg
    Snowbird 24Mar2024.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Stereo Zenith V3.jpg
    Stereo Zenith V3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin