• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowboarding?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've gone 5 times now. I wanted to try it because it looks fun and sometimes it's nice to try something new. I even bought a board before the last time out but I've been thinking of selling it. I don't want to risk missing a ski season because I injured myself snowboarding. The falls hurt soooo much. I was convinced I dislocated my shoulder after catching a heel edge but I lucked out.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
I picked up snowboarding when I was working full time at Okemo. With 125+ days a year on snow on a mountain that wasn't overly exciting, it was worth it to have something new to do. I got good enough that I was a dual discipline instructor for a number of years. After my day count dropped and I was skiing on a more interesting mountain, my snowboarding tapered off to the point I was only doing it once a year with my seasonal kids. This offseason I sold my last snowboard, and probably won't pick it back up again.

When it comes to the learning curve for snowboarding, its opposite of skiing. In skiing, the first few days are relatively easy, and the learning curve steepens significantly as you improve. In snowboarding, the first few days are incredibly difficult, then the curve flattens as you improve. Terrain based learning came around after I was instructing on a board. I know it works well for skiing, never seen it in practice on a board. I'd assume the principles are the same.

Can't say that I ever wore any padding beyond a helmet while riding. I did have some sprained wrists, a couple shoulder tweaks, but nothing to keep me off snow.

TS
tinymoose

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Terrain Based Learning is very interesting. Do they have that program at JFBB? I know Blue, at least last year, had some of these features at the base lodge area, including a small banked turn section next to the tubing park. I did not know the name for it, but in thinking how I would teach beginners, TBL is my basic vision as described in this vid:
https://www.skiandsnowboardmonth.or...ting-started/terrain-based-learning-explained

They don't. Only local place that has it is Camelback. I may go there once this upcoming season and try it out (after I invest in wrist guards, knee pads, and some sort of butt protector. Ouch!).

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
They don't. Only local place that has it is Camelback. I may go there once this upcoming season and try it out (after I invest in wrist guards, knee pads, and some sort of butt protector. Ouch!).

yes....don't want you to break that (or the other) wrist. don't want to risk ruining the Utah trip ;)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah - learnt to snowboard and it was my thing for 10+ years till skis caught up. Still worth doing if its breakable crust or do to change it up ( different muscle groups) but airline baggage rules have kinda changed my appetite for slinging a board in these days. Might have to have a dedicated weekend trip this winter.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Learned it about 10 yrs ago. I would recommend but padding and good helmet and give it at least three solid learning days. Speed is your friend, just not very comfortable at first. Learn to fall forward with arms crossed or land on all of forearms. After my third solid, day, I thought broken wrists were coming. :) I have had my best wipe outs, end of day too.

From a patrollers perspective, don't injury your shoulders, please.

Snowboard is harder to learn, easy to master.
Skiing is easy to learn, harder to master.

Still want to rent a board out West on a really nice powder day and take a few runs. Otherwise, trying to master skiing is becoming more fun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember when @Tyler Pugliese wanted to try snowboarding, as skiing parents, while we were disappointed we wanted to let him at least try it. The first time was a boiler plate ice day and he really just couldn't get the hang of it. Again we wanted to be fair so we let him give it another go. This time was about 2' of heavy "eastern powder" and I guess for a 10 year old..it was tough to manuver in. After those two experiences, he never asked again...

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I remember when @Tyler Pugliese wanted to try snowboarding, as skiing parents, while we were disappointed we wanted to let him at least try it. The first time was a boiler plate ice day and he really jsut coudln't get the hang of it. Again we wanted to be fair so we let him give it another go. This sime was about 2' of heavy "eastern powder" and I guess for a 10 year old..it was tough to manuver in. After those two experiences, he never asked again...
I had the opposite experience with Dave Jr. I wouldn't let him snowboard (that's where "If God wanted you to slide on one board..." came from) for almost a year. When I finally gave him a board, he thought he was the coolest, most rebellious 9-year-old in NY. He ended up being the smoothest rider I've ever met.

dm

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanted to learn to board years ago, but now:

A) My knees aren't great, so getting up multiple times would be difficult.
B) The decreased field of vision on one side because of body position makes me nervous. It would be like driving a car that's missing a side view mirror.
C) I just am getting too old for those painful falls.

I think it's a great thing for a ski instructor to learn.....it would remind an accomplished skier what it's like being a newbie at something.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Still want to rent a board out West on a really nice powder day and take a few runs. Otherwise, trying to master skiing is becoming more fun.

Best run of my life first line into Sun Bowl chute on Whistler after a 2 day storm on on a 174 demo board. Powder elevator ride.

TS
tinymoose

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
NO MORE broken wrists!!! I was supposed to ski with you that day, but instead you wound up in Ski Patrol and I got stuck skiing with @guitar73 !

lol. THE HORROR. Hey, it made for some good photo ops with my sweet cardboard splint and misery beers in the bar.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
For those of you recommending protection, can you link to any recommended wrist guards and knee guards?

TS
tinymoose

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
16729309_10154394439150897_5450450408904224717_n.jpg

For everyone else, the outcome of my first boarding attempt. lol I made it through lunch just fine, but got tired and hurt myself after lunch later in the day. Should have probably taken my morning boarding gains and skied in the afternoon. :huh:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
II think it's a great thing for a ski instructor to learn.....it would remind an accomplished skier what it's like being a newbie at something.

This exactly. I was only strapped into the front foot, standing, sliding on flats. Wouldn't think twice on skis, but. The parking lot meets the hill with a large area. But in my mind...it's 2 ft, not 20 meters. And I'm going to be a hood ornament on that fancy car that is parked right beside the snow bank.

I came away from the day thinking exactly what you're saying.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Once. Here's before and after - all of us still in one piece. That hill behind us felt gigantic!

That's me at 45, friend at 48, and dad at 71. There's video, too, but it's the wrong type to upload and I don't know how to change it. Hilarious, but probably only if you know us.
DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0038_edited-1.jpg

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Once. Here's before and after - all of us still in one piece. That hill behind us felt gigantic!

That's me at 45, friend at 48, and dad at 71. There's video, too, but it's the wrong type to upload and I don't know how to change it. Hilarious, but probably only if you know us.
View attachment 30042 View attachment 30043

at least none of you were in a sling ;)