• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would never buy anything from Sears again that I had to rely on them for replacement parts or service.

Gas grill parts can be HELL! Best to stick with Weber (though in 17 years of grill ownership, the only thing I've ever needed to do is clean spider webs out).

But "Craftsman" snowblowers are made by MTD, which is the Goliath of the business -- though Sears' current precarious state did give me pause.

I have had a 30" Craftsman for the past 9 or 10 years on 600' of driveway. It has a Briggs & Stratton engine and since Sears doesn't service it anyways, I get parts from a local power shop. So far all I've needed is a spark plug and shear bolts. And the heated hand grips have never worked but it is no big deal.

I had to use it today for the first time this season and I love snow blowing the driveway cause skiing fresh pow follows soon after.:yahoo:

I had trouble starting it until I remembered that there is a little plastic "key" that fits in a slot.:doh:

Same story -- and I've done the key thing, too! My 28" Craftsman served me well for 12 years, until I mentioned to a neighbor that I might sell it, whereupon he appeared at my door with cash money.

After much internet agonizing, I just ordered another Craftsman. This one is 34", with a stomping 420 cc engine, 14" auger and impeller, a MUCH sturdier/heavier chassis, and LED lights. I was leaning towards a Cub Cadet, but was a bit put off by their "revolutionary" 3-stage design, which seems awesome in deep snow, but not so much in less than 4 inches (sloppy, apparently). Plus, at my budget, 30" was as big as they got.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-pro-series-34inch-420cc-dual-stage-snowblower/p-07188978000P

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gas grill parts can be HELL! Best to stick with Weber (though in 17 years of grill ownership, the only thing I've ever needed to do is clean spider webs out).

But "Craftsman" snowblowers are made by MTD, which is the Goliath of the business -- though Sears' current precarious state did give me pause.

Same story -- and I've done the key thing, too! My 28" Craftsman served me well for 12 years, until I mentioned to a neighbor that I might sell it, whereupon he appeared at my door with cash money.

After much internet agonizing, I just ordered another Craftsman. This one is 34", with a stomping 420 cc engine, 14" auger and impeller, a MUCH sturdier/heavier chassis, and LED lights. I was leaning towards a Cub Cadet, but was a bit put off by their "revolutionary" 3-stage design, which seems awesome in deep snow, but not so much in less than 4 inches (sloppy, apparently). Plus, at my budget, 30" was as big as they got.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-pro-series-34inch-420cc-dual-stage-snowblower/p-07188978000P
My local service guy who handles multiple brands including Sears says not to worry about parts as models that have been around for a few years are really trouble free and with MTD there are more likely to be parts down the road than for other brands that remain in business.

Nice thrower. I like the matching yellow blades and hubs.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's funny, I have a snowblower but I usually shovel by hand because I love the serenity of being out in the snow! Plus I like to see how big of piles I can make.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I have had a Craftsman for about 8 years, and I've used it maybe 8 times since I bought it. I typically just shovel anything less than about 4 inches and save the blower for deeper stuff. I keep fuel stabilizer in the gas can and fire up the blower for a few minutes once every month or two just to clean out the fuel system. Every spring and fall the lawn mower and the snow blower trade places in the garage for easier access to whichever gadget is required for the season.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use a Snapper 2 stroke/single stage from the late 1980s. I bought it for my Dad (actually for me, since I was the one shoveling his driveway and sidewalk:D). When he and my Mom moved to a townhouse, I was living in NYC so they gave it to my brother. When I moved out of NYC, my brother gave it to me. The Snapper runs thru anything up to about 5-8 inches with ease. I am surrounded by neighbors with big 2 stage units and quad runners with plows. They will do my driveway if I am not around or the snow is too heavy for my unit or if I do not get out quick enough.
snowblower.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I could sell my plow truck for a couple thousand but then I'd still have to buy a snowblower for a grand so what's the point? I like to shovel but prefer to cross country ski.

When I used to plow the company I subed for had an army of Peruvians who would shovel the sidewalks by hand. They were a rugged group and could work in any conditions. They also had a few 2 stroke honda blowers which were small but could blast through anything.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Honda track HS928 here, it's got to be at least 10 years old and still goes on the first pull. In ~14/15, I forget the year but remember blowing driveways that loaders got stuck in with 60+ inches, it took a while but it did the job !
At 32 -34 inches wide we have driven it up stairs with the tracks, straight through homes out to decks to keep them from collapsing as well.
Its validating when just about every resort we go to has one as well.
One of the few things I'll take west when I move, buy once and be done.

Another 928 track fan here! It’s a monster with the track. That’s what they use on the mountain here too to clear out the lift lines.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's funny, I have a snowblower but I usually shovel by hand because I love the serenity of being out in the snow! Plus I like to see how big of piles I can make.

I have had a Craftsman for about 8 years, and I've used it maybe 8 times since I bought it. I typically just shovel anything less than about 4 inches and save the blower for deeper stuff.

Same! My driveway is 450 feet long, and if I can shovel by hand, I do shovel by hand. Love the exercise, as does the dog. But then the shared road is another billion feet, and the apron in front of the garage is too wide to get the whole thing by hand........so snowblower.

I even have my favorite shovels (pushing and lifting -- very different), and even then, they must be slightly modified to satisfy the picky engineer.

And then there is the Bully Ice Chisel for the crazy ice storms we get here (just two a year, on average, but last year included a 1.25" event).

Flame suit on, but if I'm honest, I'll admit that I kind of set out with the intent of justifying buying a Honda. The more I learned, the less interested I was.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Simplicity 8hp that the wife bought me 25 years ago is still the best. Love getting out first thing in the morning to start my day by moving snow. Then head to the mountain to move more snow. Pretty much reach my limit digging out the hot tub in the evening but never too tired to start the process over the very next morning.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Simplicity 8hp that the wife bought me 25 years ago is still the best.

These continue to be very well regarded, but are nearly impossible to find in my neck of the woods (PNW).

11 days until delivery!

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I have an Ariens track drive because I used to work for the company and my loyalty is still strong. A great unit that will drive through anything, but for the money the Honda track is the gold standard for tracked units. That is the go to blower here and I would have gotten that one otherwise. I spent a lot of time in the snow blower world and I can tell you that you will never be disappointed with the strongest engine you can afford. Track drive is great on slopes (mine is 12 degrees+ so I had to go track drive) but if your drive is flat a wheeled unit with chains works just fine. I think the Ariens is the best wheeled unit out there and they are even offering fuel injection this year to make performance that much better.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an Ariens track drive because I used to work for the company and my loyalty is still strong. A great unit that will drive through anything, but for the money the Honda track is the gold standard for tracked units. That is the go to blower here and I would have gotten that one otherwise. I spent a lot of time in the snow blower world and I can tell you that you will never be disappointed with the strongest engine you can afford. Track drive is great on slopes (mine is 12 degrees+ so I had to go track drive) but if your drive is flat a wheeled unit with chains works just fine. I think the Ariens is the best wheeled unit out there and they are even offering fuel injection this year to make performance that much better.

Yup, yup, Ariens is tough to beat, but off the list here in small town USA. The only purchasing option is Home Depot 30 miles aways, and/or interweb.

I suppose they will all go to EFI eventually. The first year out, they had a mixed rep in terms of power, but have apparently sorted out those teething issues.

Track drive is funny. If you need it, you need it. If you don't, it is a PITA. I borrowed my friend's Honda track blower about 5 years ago, and it certainly performed well, but my apron area requires so much turning and backing that it was a net negative. Sure went up the hill on our shared road like a bull, though!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wrong thread.

Attachments

• STP Cork Screw.jpg
    STP Cork Screw.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 6

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Keep Snowblowers Direct on mind. They ship/deliver for free and without tax in almost all states. I've never bought from them, but I've heard good things. That keeps all options open.

I agree on the track drives. I had a wheeled unit and only sold it because of our slope. A wheeled is much easier if it makes sense for the driveway.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Same! My driveway is 450 feet long, and if I can shovel by hand, I do shovel by hand. Love the exercise, as does the dog.
alwaysintheway.jpg

I moved likely a few hundred ton of asphalt and modified stone in my youth and I can use a Manual Earth Transport device pretty well. If I never pick one up again, it will be OK. I am a big fan of doing as much as I can with machinery.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Killing time, waiting for delivery, I took a peak at it on the interweb yesterday, only to find it had dropped $55 in price.

A nice 3 mile drive to Sears (via a bakery and a few chores at my Dad's place on the way) and I was a richer man!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got it awhile ago. Took until December 23 for the first test. Eight inches of snow, 1,000 feet of driveway and shared road. It rocked. Done in 1.5 hours, on the road for a 625 mile drive to MT for Christmas by 7:15 AM.

Probably overkill, but I doubt I'll ever read about or shop for snow blowers again in my life.

Thanks for all the input, pugskiers!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got it awhile ago. Took until December 23 for the first test. Eight inches of snow, 1,000 feet of driveway and shared road. It rocked. Done in 1.5 hours, on the road for a 625 mile drive to MT for Christmas by 7:15 AM.

Probably overkill, but I doubt I'll ever read about or shop for snow blowers again in my life.

Thanks for all the input, pugskiers!
Sorry to say I've only used mine once this season so far and at 5 years old but it operated flawlessly. Hope you get similar performance. Handle the oil and gas well and I'd guess it will be your last.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I had to use my snow blower on my 600ft driveway yesterday and last week. I even had to replace a shear bolt last week but I don't recall doing anything that would have caused it.:huh:

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had to use my snow blower on my 600ft driveway yesterday and last week. I even had to replace a shear bolt last week but I don't recall doing anything that would have caused it.:huh:

I've had the same thing happen. Once. In 17 years at this house.

I think that's the beauty of shear pins. They protect your machine when you don't realize it needs protecting!

Sponsor

Staff online