• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skier from Japan!

tokyolite

Booting up
Skier
Hello~!

I’m Carmen & I am a skier living in Japan.

I’ve been skiing for 10 years and am currently taking my CSIA L2's (let's hope I pass!) I learned how to ski in Hakuba, Japan & now I teach in Hakuba – which is a dream come true. If you have any questions about Japow or skiing in Japan I am more than happy to help you out (and translate when needed). I spend the green season in between Tokyo & Hakuba :)

I’m probably younger than most on this forum (early 20’s), but I’ve sincerely appreciated reading this forum over the last few years to gain insight into all areas of skiing; particularly the CSIA system & the life of a ski instructor.

Thank you for reading <3 I hope to meet many skiers especially those interested in skiing in Japan! ありがとう!^。^

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi! Glad you came out of lurking and joined. What's one of your favorite things about skiing in Hakuba?

And not all of us are really old:roflmao:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome to the swamp. Always good to have internationals in here. What does it take to commute from Tokyo?
Have you noticed that we sure do like pictures.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to Ski Talk, bring more younger folks in.

TS
T

tokyolite

Booting up
Skier
Hi! Glad you came out of lurking and joined. What's one of your favorite things about skiing in Hakuba?

And not all of us are really old:roflmao:
I love the powder skiing for sure! We had a bit of an odd season this year, but I hear the powder will be incredible for 24-25. Also the fact that Hakuba Valley has eight different mountains so a wide variety of terrain to explore :)

TS
T

tokyolite

Booting up
Skier
Welcome to the swamp. Always good to have internationals in here. What does it take to commute from Tokyo?
Have you noticed that we sure do like pictures.
I will have to find some good ones to post! The commute is about 3-4 hours from Tokyo, depending on what route you take. You can take a direct train which is about ~ 4 hours, or a fast train (Shinkansen) and a bus which is about ~ 3 hours! The drive is about 3.5 hours.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m actually off to Hakuba this coming December (24) and January (25) for around 3 weeks. This will be my 5th visit and tossing up between staying near Goryu or over near Echoland/Misorano. Last trip was 2018 so keen to see what’s changed.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hello!

we were just talking with my gf + her gf + her husband (also in 20s) about going to japow for a powder trip.

severou

Booting up
Skier
Awesome to see someone from Hakuba! I used to live near Matsumoto and skied in Hakuba a lot. Hakuba 47/Goryu were my favourite resorts, but I skied them all except Jiigatake one. I work with a company these days that does luxury adventure tourism in Japan, we are going to launch in Hakuba for the next season.

I’m actually off to Hakuba this coming December (24) and January (25) for around 3 weeks. This will be my 5th visit and tossing up between staying near Goryu or over near Echoland/Misorano. Last trip was 2018 so keen to see what’s changed.
My 2c, December is not very reliable as far as Hakuba goes, sometimes it is awesome and sometimes it is terrible. If you have not booked yet I would recommend going to Hokkaido for the first week then heading to Hakuba. This is what I did this year, spent a week with kids in Niseko from Dec 16th, then had to do some work things in Tokyo then skied in Hakuba and Nozawa after new years. Flights from Narita to Chitose are cheap if you fly discount airline and you can get on 7am flight and be at the resort around 1pm after bus transfer. Both IKON and EPIC have few days lift tickets there(Niseko and Rusutsu)

Reactions: BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Awesome to see someone from Hakuba! I used to live near Matsumoto and skied in Hakuba a lot. Hakuba 47/Goryu were my favourite resorts, but I skied them all except Jiigatake one. I work with a company these days that does luxury adventure tourism in Japan, we are going to launch in Hakuba for the next season.

My 2c, December is not very reliable as far as Hakuba goes, sometimes it is awesome and sometimes it is terrible. If you have not booked yet I would recommend going to Hokkaido for the first week then heading to Hakuba. This is what I did this year, spent a week with kids in Niseko from Dec 16th, then had to do some work things in Tokyo then skied in Hakuba and Nozawa after new years. Flights from Narita to Chitose are cheap if you fly discount airline and you can get on 7am flight and be at the resort around 1pm after bus transfer. Both IKON and EPIC have few days lift tickets there(Niseko and Rusutsu)
Thanks. Sadly I’m constrained and have to take my holidays in (a) school holiday periods (b) coinciding with a compulsory office shutdown. Until my little one finishes school (T-4.5 years and counting) I’m kind of stuck.

i have been early season to Hakuba before and witnessed bare earth at lower elevations. Theres skiing higher though. And for that trip I remember a chest deep snowfall transforming things very quickly (and finding the deep snow limitations of a 98mm underfoot Ski!)

i‘m a member of a club in Niseko and did the last two seasons at much the same time. Just doing something a touch different this coming season!

Sponsor