• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski bum race skis for the carving-challenged

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Pro has the RD layup schedule and WC plate in the 18r package. It's a bit like the difference between a Hero Master and Hero LT. They're a blast just to ski on. Love the Hero Master as well.

Thanks. Perfect. My next one.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of good recommendations here. A couple of thoughts. Echoing advice from josh and epic, don't go shorter than 180. In fact at your size I would be looking at 185ish. Also, don't get hung up on radius, the radius will not help if you can't bend the ski! Flex is much more important, why I happily run the 30 m women's ski.

You should have jumped on that Fischer masters ski I had listed! it was a terrific deal and would have worked really well. 25m and reasonably soft flex. Just sold to a buddy a couple of days ago. I do still have a pair from the previous year as well that have seen a bit more use. The head pro could also be a good option.

What I would stay away from at your size is the "tweener'" or U 16 skis, normally found in 183-186 with a 23ish radius. I would be concerned they are not solid enough for you being designed for 140-160# The various masters skis are a bit beefier from 180 up

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes, for me it seems to the best of my memory, that the 184(?)6(?) Blizzard WRC skis much stronger than the 180.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeha both me and Epic ski at stowe and both of us either have raced or currently race the series.....

at your size and weight a 175cm Master ski is too short. I think any masters ski in about 180cm- 185cm range will be your ticket. They all make good skis just find soemthing and get it.

these are local and would be a decent ski bum ski and a very fun all around carver.

http://www.skiessentials.com/2017-volkl-racetiger-sw-gs-uvo-skis-w-rmotion-bindings.html
Now that's a recommendation! Local great skier not only gives reasoned recommendation but local ski/binding recommendation also. Kudos!

TS
B

backseat driver

Booting up
Skier
Yes, I truly appreciate the specific recommendation and the Volkl is still on the list for sure. However, and this is probably irrational, but I've just never demoed a Volkl that made me want to buy it. Nordica, yes, Blizzard, yes, Rossignol, yes, etc. (Sorry Volkl people...)

I will take the Head Rebel iSpeed off the list based on input above, thanks.

Still somewhat confused on radius vs flex. I definitely am looking for "detuned" version of a race ski. My current list, in order of what I presume is less forgiving (though probably faster if you already know what youre doing) to more forgiving (softer flex and potentially better for improving and not ending up in the fence?) Really not sure since "they all makes good skis, just find something and get it" makes a lot of sense as well.

Blizzard WRC (182) - 20m
Rossi Hero Master (180) - 21m
Volkl Racetiger GS (180) - 19m
Rossi Hero Elite LT (183) - 20m

Thanks again for the replies

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
You know, as I think about this more, I don't think you should get the "ideal" race ski. I mean you are self-admittedly carving challenged, so why don't we get you on something that you will be able to learn to carve on. Something where you can really feel it easily. It won't be perfect at 11 AM on Tuesdays, but it's not like you are going to be winning. Let's get you on a ski that will be fun to free ski on at 8 AM on a Wednesday. Not something where you have to be worried about killing yourself and/or other when you open it up. When you get on the front page of the results sheet then you buy a GS ski. I won't pretend that I am familiar with every ski on the market, for Fischer I'd say Curv DTX 178cm. Maybe Rossi Pursuit. Volk Code if they have taken the rocker out. That Laser AX I think could be a great option. A Kastle RX if they still make it.

Let's just get you carving first. Walk before you run.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I think the non-FIS recreational Redsters would be worth a look. Like the Redster G9 or X9. Even the Redster X7 - which would have a bit more versatility. From what I've seen, the pricing on the X7 seems like a pretty good bang-for-your-buck value.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Any idea what the other guys on the league are on? If it's a shallow/flat hill that takes time to build speed, then a masters or 30M FIS ski may take a couple gates or more to hit bending speed, especially in soft conditions. The learning curve is a little steeper stepping straight to an FIS model as well.

A front side carver will have less of a learning curve, but less overall potential for competitive times. A cheater GS ski will be a little tougher to learn, but will have more upside to better times than a front side carver.

If you go the cheater route, a 175 will be too short at your height and weight, you should be on a 180ish.

The Volkl cheater in 180, Rossi Master 21 and Head Rebels in 180 or 185 are likely in the wheel house of what you are looking for if you don't mind jumping right to race ski.

Do you have an opportunity to do NASTAR or public races on your latigo's to start working on technique?

TS
B

backseat driver

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the additional helpful replies. (Long time, no post. My apologies.)

Since the last post, I've been able to do a few brief ski demos (all fairly different):
-Supershape iRally in 177cm (14.7m) - Fun ski. Definitely felt easier to carve than my Latigo, however, did feel a bit "turny" when trying to go fast and hold an edge, so perhaps better for practice than ski bum course?
-Volkl Racetiger GS UVO in 180cm (19m) - Most confidence inspiring at speed. When I could hold an edge, the ski definitely wanted me to go faster. However, I felt disappointingly slow in how fast I could change from one turn to the next (while trying to hold an edge/ change edges) so turn radius felt much larger than 19m. (Definitely due to my lack of skill... However, I could still smear a turn without much difficulty, so reassuringly forgiving as well.)
-Stockli Laser AX in 175 (15.8m) (183 not available for demo.) Very smooth ski, however, I had a relatively hard time compared to the others in getting on edge. (Again, my lack of skill.) Still very enjoyable and felt the most versatile (basically a better Latigo?)

I also really like the suggestions above for skis like the Atomic Redster X9 or X7, or Fischer Curv DTX, that are 16-16.5m (?) in the longest lengths and claim they are equally capable at longer and shorter turns. Maybe just the ticket, splitting the differences above?

Finally, I was able to find some photos of the side by side ski bum course (from last winter.) First photo is start house and flat section (where a friend who is on a Fischer 25m Masters GS ski says he definitely has to work it.) Second photo is from the finish line looking up at the knoll after the flat section.

Thanks again.

2hcqjqw.png

23iaqf6.png

Attachments

• Starthouseflats.png
    Starthouseflats.png
    697.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Knolltofinish2.png
    Knolltofinish2.png
    655 KB · Views: 13
  • Knolltofinish2.png
    Knolltofinish2.png
    655 KB · Views: 8

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Looking at the race results from our first bum race from last Wednesday shows that I need a race ski that will shave 12 seconds off my time so that I can move to the top of the heap. The over 51 age category is brutal and it gets harder with the over 61 group. There are some seriously fast old guys here.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the race results from our first bum race from last Wednesday shows that I need a race ski that will shave 12 seconds off my time so that I can move to the top of the heap. The over 51 age category is brutal and it gets harder with the over 61 group. There are some seriously fast old guys here.

Thread drift, but I moved up to the 65-69 age/Masters M9 for this season-glad to get away from some of the guys in the younger groups. Fortunately, I never have Pepi Neubauer in my age bracket-guaranteed no better than a distant second against him!

Back to the OP-although it's always deceiving to look at a picture and tell how steep a course is, if you are having trouble going edge to edge on the Volkl 19M cheater, I wouldn't go any larger in radius at least until you get more experience. Our beer league course is fairly flat for the first 5-6 gates, and if you don't ski that cleanly, you lose a lot of time.

TS
B

backseat driver

Booting up
Skier
Latest: I filled in one of the other guys on our skibum team on all the above, and he immediately went on skiessentials and bought a pair of the Völkl racetiger GS skis (!)

For me, after sleeping on it a few days, I take back what I said about never testing a Völkl I’d want to buy. I think I *should* buy the Volkls (except for the whole "could I actually turn it through gates" question mark for me.) Instead, though, I'm holding off on the Volkls for now, and leaving them as Plan B.

Plan A is doing what I always tell myself never ever to do (again): buy skis based on hope and hearsay but without finding a demo first - Atomic X9's in 181 will hopefully be just the ticket. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for all the input.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Can you demo in gates?

Those volkls you are second guessing are superb beer league skis. Not sure what the tune is like on them, but if you keep your weight forward, they will make very progressive turn shapes and not let go on any nastar course and will hold their own on all but the steepest of masters courses. They are like a blend of a masters ski and a front side carver. They initiate quicker than a masters or FIS ski, and split the difference between a volkl code and FIS ski when it comes to grip.

I let a friend race mine, he dropped .3 from his time on his Nordica GSRs on the first two runs. I typically fair pretty well on them too.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also of you can get ahold of a set of last years Atomic doubledeck xt with the x16 var bindings it would be worth a look. Always cheaper to buy last years gear. They are what I run this year, and the tool-less 7 position fore/aft adjustment is really nice.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
What team are you guys on? Did you do the Masters training group today?

Sponsor