• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shaggy’s Ahmeek 95s

Jelder

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi,

Has anyone been on Shaggy’ Ahmeek 95s? I’m considering them but can’t find reviews. The 105s just got a good write up at Blister, so I’m wondering how the 95’s might compare in terms of stability, float, playfulness, etc.
And now that I’m thinking about it, these seem to be in the same neighborhood as Masterblasters.
Can anyone comment?

Thanks,
Jay

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
They are turni-er than the blasters, but I found them to be really stout & fun. I moved my mount forward & they were fantastic. Float is on par, not a playful ski.

paging @Eric Edelstein

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I did a couple runs in the 95. It was not my cup of tea. I expected more power given the heft of the ski. It just blah to me. I just didn’t feel comfortable on the ski. It didn’t feel as stable as the Blizzard Brahma or Bonefides. Nor did I feel I could really let it rip. I was quite surprised. It could have been binding position, but I wasn’t interested in doing more than the 3 runs I took on it.

This is the reason so many skis exist, so we can all find the right ski for each of us.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
A friend and I just had Shaggy's owner/engineer John go over 95 vs 105 and other models while having us demo them too. John pointed out same sidecut but 95 has a different core profile with tip and tail being a little more substantial with 95s.

My daughter chose 95s influenced by her weight and wanting more hard snow versatility. I chose 105s wanting more off piste performance. The more forward boot position is new to me but it totally made sense when I had them in off piste soft snow and tight turn skiing.

John had us try other models and pointed out how their titanal option will give the twin tips a Brockway or Mohawk won't have but the more stable characteristic. He said they standard build Ahmeek is all wood for them to be most lively where and how most use them.

My conclusion is 95 is likely best for my pal who spends more time at a midwest hard snow ski area and otherwise only has hard snow skis. My 105s take more effort on hard snow but their "camber pockets" idea really works and it gives me a 1 quiver ski more than any others that have promised that.

Shaggy's might not be for everyone but after the demo day and time on the skis I would call the way their site describes the two Ahmeek models as spot on. We contacted a few small USA firms who do same and similar stuff. We feel they were fantastic as far as customer response with product quality to match.

Sponsor

Staff online