• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Hi there, plenty of time here in the Northeast before skiing, yet looking for advise before hand. I am approaching 62 and want to ski again, depending on $$$. When and if I do, I want to go for 3 nights, 2 days skiing, taking a 1/2 day private lesson. Here's my plan: the first day I arrive, I will rent skis, get a half day pass, and hit the bunny hill, to get my balance back, turning and most importantly stopping. Then spend some runs on the easiest beginner green runs to control my speed, etc. All this so the instructor can teach me carving, different turns, etc, not the basics, the next day. I DO have boots I was fitted for back in fall of 2012. They are still in the box, never used. I made many inquiries and was told I can still use these. I need skis though. Interested in Volkl RTM 81s, that I can demo, and purchase at the resort I want to ski at. Here's my question. Since I have not skied so long, can I get away with learning again on the RTMs? Of should I rent beginner skis for my lessons an the rest of my trip? Then demo performance skis later on? Also, is what I am doing the first day, on the bunny hill, worth it? Thanks all and would like to hear other ideas.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Welcome back to skiing. And you've got a great plan. I'm thinking the RTM might be a little stiff to start out again on. But I'll let those that have skied them comment further. Where are planning this adventure, so we can help with an instructor recommendation?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Returning? No problem, it is like riding a bike except no streamers on the handle bars or baseball cards in the spokes. Getting with a coach/instructior is a great idea, that way they can help you retrain your muscles to work with modern tecnique. RTM's are a good option...maybe for the following year...depending on how fast you get your ski legs under you. Like @Jilly says, it is a pretty beefy ski to jump right back in with. Are you going to the Catskills? Vermont? Poconos?

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
If you are near NY City, you have several options for ski hills that would make sense. I would begin by checking out their websites and getting some information on rates, ski and stay packages, ect.

Available are day trips to places like Patterson, and perhaps the Berkshires, or more destination type stays in condos, motels, or AirB&Bs, ect that are close to or right on the mountain.

Most mountains will work with you on ski packages, allowing equipment swaps as you progress, but its a good idea to communicate your needs as early as possible. (shorter, bendier skis are a good place to start....)

welcome to the site, Eddie and congrats on getting back into the sport!

Jp

TS
E

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all your replies. Depending on trails open, skiable, etc. Ideally I would like to start Windham Mtn. It is close, and I've been there so many times. I know their rates, etc. I see hourly private rates, not sure if I can get a half day. Otherwise I will go to Okemo, if they open before Windham. Good thoughts re the RTMs. Let me ask you this, I do have, in my garage, old Salomon X-Scream series from year 200. I know I have to replace the bindings. Would the rentals still be better than these? Because, as you said Phil, the RTMS a good option maybe for the following year, I really don't want to buy skis to learn on for one year, then buy the RTMs or Nordica Nav 85s. Nor would I want to rent skis each time I ski. This is the only reason I brought up the Sallies. Again, I appreciate your input. Great site.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most resorts have a package deal for rental, beginner lesson and lift ticket.

Even if no, renting beginner skis for a few days wont be very expensive, and if you plan to ski more times the ,look into the season rentals.

Then buy some nice skis when you are sure you want to go through with it and can handle an intermediate ski.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I also went through the not having skied for years routine and then got back into it. It honestly was a simple process. Doing the ski lease/season rental is a great idea. it gives you an opportunity to change skis as the comfort level changes. From my own limited experience I'm going to predict that after 2-4 days of getting on the hill you'll have a fair amount of your mojo back. muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I did zero skiing from 1998 through 2006. At age 41 I got some new gear and hit the mountain.. starting off on an easy blue. By noon I was pretty much back to form, but tired, no ski legs. Balance and edge feel came back pretty quickly though. I'm ten years down the trial from that but a little short of where you are in life. If I was coming back from a break that long again I'd focus more on some conditioning, hiking and biking, etc. That's what the biggest obstacle for me was after a long break,, not having the stamina to ski more than a couple hours. The balance and feel really does come right back. I don't think you need to worry too much about that aspect. Buckle those boots, click in, and hit that lift to an easy run to warm up.. Only way you'll have any real edging problems on the first run is if you forget to scrape your wax hahahaha..

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I'm 57 and while I never fully stopped, I really wimped out for years. Arthritis, lots of injuries, illness, etc. Still I think the base, core ski skills are ingrained, like riding a bike... a bit timid at first but if you feel good you can really get up to a high level quickly.

And the secret is feeling good. Increase your general activity and outdoor time, get moving. Pick a nice day. Do yoga or stretching, wear compression socks. And just take what you have and go to the closest ski area with snow and plan on just pissing the money away and if you only get a couple of runs in before it hurts or whatever then so be it. You'll have a baseline to go from.

I don't think having "expert" too stiff skis or boots are really going to inhibit you for a couple of runs down a bunny slope.

Honestly there have been days where I'll get off the lift and everything hurts and the snow sucks and I can barely make it down. A week later I'll go back and be the best skier on the hill (in my mind). It's that variable. But you have to have that faith to go back out after a bad day.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
HI, Welcome back to skiing!! yes those RTM's are beefy.. since you are getting back into it, likewise I suggest go with a MT. Package skis, ticket, lesson at Windham..most resorts do package- some like Okemo even have lodging included! If you can sneak away mid week, less people sometimes more availability for instructors to do 1/2 day lessons..

I'll add Skis have come soooo far since 2000! (ditto:leave those salomons in the garage) If you enjoy being back on the Mt. and decide to keep skiing I'll suggest you check out some demo days before committing to a ski. Technology has come so far it's amazing!! what some of us love others hate!

I'm a midweeker at Okemo, they have a nice fleet of demo's and did allow you to swap out. I have tried a 3 pair in one day. It's always nice to demo skis on same conditions- Northern Ski Works in Ludlow is nice shop they let you swap too but have to leave the Mt. to change out. I'm pretty sure Windham has demo days, My Home Mt. Royal Mt (caroga lake NY) has an awesome FREE demo day Pres week in Feb. I've demo'd 15skis in one day (no I didn't take any breaks) With the price of skis/bindings I'll always suggest demo demo demo...

Yes to Check w/ski shops near home and the Mt you are skiing. Some shops will deduct the rental price from purchase if you find a ski you love.
Yes to Season long rentals. although personally I'd find the ski I enjoy skiing then go with that ski.

Here's to enjoying being back sliding on snow! We enabler's will convince you that you need a quiver of skis not just 1 pair. :)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Forget the beginner skis, forget the X-Screams. Get a decent ski, either by renting a demo, or leasing, or ski swap. You will be back to skiing the runs you found comfortable in no time. Skiing's not as hard as some of these instructors make it out to be, however, they are right about the conditioning. It would suck to pay for a three day vacation and spend the last two days not skiing because your legs hurt too much. I recommend you spend a couple of nights or weekend days just skiing at any local speed bump before shelling out for a nice vacation. Skis for runs marked on a trailmap in the northeast? Skis marketed to intermediate, advanced, and expert skiers, 68 to 76 mm at the waist, 13 to18 m radius depending on how fast you ski and if you can get to a bigger hill, and if you want to get serious about learning how to carve turns, full camber.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
One of the best conditioning routine for ski legs is to step up and down at the bottom of a set of stairs. Step up with a leg, bring the other up next to it, step down with a leg, bring the other back down. Do this at a steady beat of 96 moves a minute for a couple minutes. Gradually extend to five minutes.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do yoga or stretching You'll have a baseline to go from.
I'll second on the stretching/yoga as it greatly enhances your balance, overall agility, reduces injuries, and helps to lower your recovery times. At 55, I generally spend 45 min to an hour prior to skiing doing stretching/yoga in the lodge. It pays HUGE dividends and I'm surprised to see so few at the mtn doing this, especially after sitting in a car for an hour or three. This is a highly athletic activity and needs its due physical respect. Stretching/Yoga needs to be an integral part of our routines for safety and longevity....

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll second on the stretching/yoga as it greatly enhances your balance, overall agility, reduces injuries, and helps to lower your recovery times. At 55, I generally spend 45 min to an hour prior to skiing doing stretching/yoga in the lodge. It pays HUGE dividends...

I completely agree with this as part of general fitness.

...I'm surprised to see so few at the mtn doing this, especially after sitting in a car for an hour or three...

But there's a lot of literature that suggests that stretching before you exercise or exert yourself has little to no effect on injuries. You need to stretch and be more flexible and balanced in general. Stretching at the mountain right before you ski most likely doesn't help prevent injuries. It may make you feel better - warmed up and looser - and have other mental benefits though.

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But there's a lot of literature that suggests that stretching before you exercise or exert yourself has little to no effect on injuries. You need to stretch and be more flexible and balanced in general. Stretching at the mountain right before you ski most likely doesn't help prevent injuries. It may make you feel better - warmed up and looser - and have other mental benefits though.

Good point about the injuries and yes on the studies about injury prevention. In fact, some studies have shown that stretching prior to physical activity can actually cause a higher possibility of injury. Overall, it seems to work for me as a morning warm up, so I do it as I tend to seize up pretty easily.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Stretching should occur with warmed tissues, not right after a lengthy car ride or other static situation. So go move around some before stretching.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stretching should occur with warmed tissues, not right after a lengthy car ride or other static situation. So go move around some before stretching.
I need to be more clear about my sequence as to not give potentially harmful information. This is what I'm doing when I arrive early before I start skiing: https://www.jasonyoga.com/2015/03/13/sun_salutations/

Along w/ breath exercises: Ujjayi Pranayama (ooh-JAH-yee prah-nah-YAH-mah) is one technique that helps calm the mind and warm the body. When practicing Ujjayi, you completely fill your lungs, while slightly contracting your throat, and breathe through your nose. This breathing technique is used throughout Ashtanga and Vinyasa yoga practices.