• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommended one-quiver skis to demo for beginner-intermediate? West coast. $750 budget.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
There are quite a few pretty accomplished skiers here who have gotten out on the Brahma SP (CA) and were duely impressed with what it was capable of. As far as it being able to handle powder, it wasn't too long ago that an 88mm ski WAS a powder. ski. The Brahma is a good foundation ski for you, and if I was going to choose one width of a ski for Tahoe it would be a ski in this range. You can always add a wider ski down the road but I would not go much over 95mm for what you need and where you are in your skiing career. While you might not be ready for this Olympics, you will surely be ready for the next one.

I gave a pair of Bushwackers (basically an older version of the Bramha SP) to my son's race coach a couple years ago. As you can imagine, she can ski. She has raved about them more than once. I looked up an old text from her "I don't know what it is about those magic skis you gave me but I'm crushing it and my knees dont hurt!". That $400 deal for new skis and bindings is legit, I'd go for it. For your size you could go 166, 173 or 180 but I'd probably go with the 173 with your description. With the shape and profile, they will work fine in powder.

These will work in the park but stay off the rails so you don't trash your new skis (an post yourself). As for "trying backcountry", you should have probe, shovel and beacon on hand and have taken Avi 1 class before going outside a resort.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Depending on how often you get out, you could probably get two pairs of skis within your $750 budget. If you get out fairly often you will probably progress beyond the beginner/intermediate level to solid and improving intermediate midway through the season. So, doesn't really make sense to drop that much money on a ski appropriate for beginners.. Might even consider a seasonal rental which you could trade in/up midway through the season for a more intermediate/advanced level ski. Having the boots worked out already puts you in very good shape for that seasonal rental option.. And I think those seasonal rentals often include tuning and maintenance.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Didn't see it mentioned here, but the Atomic Vantage 95 C is a good option and pretty good value. It's got carbon but no metal. Despite the lack of metal, it is a pretty impressive ski. I demo'd them last season (in the PNW) and was impressed. Fun ski. Forgiving yet there's lots of performance. Great carving, pretty good float (for a 95). Playful. Some pop out of turns. Sweet spot seemed easy to find. Turn initiation was pretty good. Held well on firmer snow, I'd think it would be suitable for a pretty wide range of skiers. Definitely for progressing intermediates through advanced/expert. Very approachable and dependable ski. Could qualify for an in-bounds PNW one-ski-quiver ski for a lot of people. Just my 2 cents.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Brahma SP with bindings for$400? :yeah:

If you encounter a powder day and find yourself struggling, especially in the cut up stuff, then go to a on mountain demo centre and rent some fat skis for the rest of the day. The fat skis will allow you to skid your turns making things a lot easier.

Sponsor