• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommended one-quiver skis to demo for beginner-intermediate? West coast. $750 budget.

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Hey all,

Another one of these generic posts for a first time buyer. Did a lot of searching but have been a bit overwhelmed with all of the information, especially since I don’t understand a lot of the terminology/lingo (although I do a bit more after researching). Anyways, here’s the quick rundown but I’ll go into more detail below:
  • Height: 6’1”
  • Weight: 160 lbs
  • Ability level: Beginner - Intermediate
  • Budget: $400-750 USD (for both skis and bindings)
  • Ski preference: One-quiver ski
I’ve been skiing since I was ~10. Mostly tiny, crappy mountains in Southern California (i.e., Mountain High and Big Bear). Have typically gone about 1-3 days/year. Finally got a season pass to Tahoe this year (value pass so I’ll be at North Star, Heavenly, and Kirkwood) so I figure it’s time to buck up and buy some gear. Hoping to bump that number up to 15+ days this year.

I can definitely get down the mountain okay without looking like a total jackass but I think relative to most people on here I’m still fairly inexperienced. I’ve pretty much skied groomed runs exclusively with a few (think 2-3) real powder days. Definitely have trouble in powder but my previous experience has always been with on-piste rentals that I’m sure didn’t help. Think I’ll still mostly be skiing groomed runs but would prefer skiis that would at least keep my options semi-open in the future. E.g., would love to try back country and park has always appealed to me a bit.

Budget is unfortunately not as large as I would like it to be but that’s largely due to being a broke grad student. I have no problem buying used gear that’s a few years old if it’s going to save me some sheckles. If it’s really worth it, I could probably stretch that budget out a little bit more. Just to clarify, I need both skis, bindings and poles. I do have boots that I got fitted for at Start Haus in Truckee last year; I got Salomon XMAX 100’s.

What would you guys recommend I demo that might fit my criteria? Like I mentioned before, I’m down to buy older used skis (if it’s going to stretch my budget more) and realize that shops may not have these as demos anymore. What new skis would you recommend I demo that might replicate some older skis that would be within my budget? What specifications should I look for in a ski? Length? 180-189cm? Waist? Etc. I’ve heard good things about the Salomon Rocker2, Line Blend, Nordica NRGy, and the ON3P Kartel 108s after searching a bit but obviously open to anything.

Hope that’s enough information to get started. Don’t hesitate to ask if there’s anything else that you need.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We aren't sure exactly where we'll be fitting this year, but it will be somewhere that you can access.
Also, if you're ever in the Mammoth area, Footloose is good.
I believe @VickiK has had great luck with them.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i would say if you still think you are beg/int. then buy a pair of used demos off of like powder7.

Get something waist 90-100 and about low 170scm in length, which might be a bit more manageable as a beginner and that you won't mind trashing a bit.

In 1 or 2 seasons you can then think about a new pair of skis perhaps about 180cm in length and have a better idea of what you want.

Given these specs:
here are some, but not all. i got tired clicking through the options
http://www.powder7.com/Blizzard-Brahma-Skis-173cm-Used-2017/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Blizzard-Bonafide-Skis-173cm-Used-2017/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Nordica-Enforcer-93-Skis-177cm-Used-2017/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Rossignol-Experience-100-HD-TI-Skis-174cm-Used-2017/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Rossignol-Experience-88-Skis-172cm-Used-2016/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Rossignol-Experience-88-HD-Skis-172cm-Used-2017/for-sale

TS
NoScoped

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
i would say if you still think you are beg/int. then buy a pair of used demos off of like powder7.

Get something waist 90-100 and about low 170scm in length, which might be a bit more manageable as a beginner and that you won't mind trashing a bit.

In 1 or 2 seasons you can then think about a new pair of skis perhaps about 180cm in length and have a better idea of what you want.

Been trying to find a good reference video. After searching around, I'd say I'm more of an advanced intermediate.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Given these specs:
here are some, but not all. i got tired clicking through the options
http://www.powder7.com/Blizzard-Brahma-Skis-173cm-Used-2017/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Blizzard-Bonafide-Skis-173cm-Used-2017/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Nordica-Enforcer-93-Skis-177cm-Used-2017/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Rossignol-Experience-100-HD-TI-Skis-174cm-Used-2017/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Rossignol-Experience-88-Skis-172cm-Used-2016/for-sale
http://www.powder7.com/Rossignol-Experience-88-HD-Skis-172cm-Used-2017/for-sale

Those are pretty wide and beefy skis for a beginner/intermediate. Plus the Salomon demo bindings on most of them are pretty heavy and create a disconnect.

90ish is a good width for Tahoe, especially at your level. It is a good start for the conditions that we get as opposed to the conditions we dream about. If @SkiEssentials still has some of the Brahma SP's for well less than $500, that could be a realy good option. Basically this year's Bramha CA for a gret price. This years Nordica Navigator 85 or 90 are two skis that I thought of right off the bat that could work well.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
90ish is a good width for Tahoe, especially at your level. It is a good start for the conditions that we get as opposed to the conditions we dream about. If @SkiEssentials still has some of the Brahma SP's for well less than $500, that could be a realy good option. Basically this year's Bramha CA for a great price. This years Nordica Navigator 85 or 90 are two skis that I thought of right off the bat that could work well.

If your goal is to improve - narrower skis make it easier to feel and attain certain edging maneuvers. I'd second Phil's recommendation to stay at ~85-90. If you see your quiver extending in the future - I'd suggest starting narrower with an ~80mm ski, and then going big for your second ski at ~110+.

That said - Phil's knowledge of ski recommending (especially for Tahoe) is >>>> than mine, so take this as supplemental to his specific rec's for skis.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
If @SkiEssentials still has some of the Brahma SP's for well less than $500, that could be a realy good option. Basically this year's Bramha CA for a gret price. This years Nordica Navigator 85 or 90 are two skis that I thought of right off the bat that could work well.

With the current discount and some special PugSki pricing we can get the Brahma SP pretty darn close to $400 with bindings.

I'm pretty blown away by the value Nordica is offering with the Navigator collection. Impressively low full price for all three models.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
OP -- take the advice here much more seriously than your thread at reddit. The people over there are recommending a bunch of way too burly skis for someone of your size and skill. While those are fun later in your life as a skier, they'll slow down your progress for now.

I'd personally start out with a 90mm ish ski, with a medium flex, probably no metal, and a hint of tip rocker. The Brahma SP is a good example, as are the Nordica Navigator, the Atomic 90CTI, K2 Pinnacle 88 etc.

The Line Blend wouldn't be a bad choice if you see yourself getting into freestyle more in the future. A similar ski I like more and is quite affordable is the Volkl Revolt. The Kartel 108 is too wide for progressing to the next level. The Salomon series could suit you.

TS
NoScoped

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all of the informative replies guys, really appreciate it. After doing a bit more searching, I'd say most guides would class me as Advanced Intermediate. With that said, would your recommendations still be the same (i.e., 90mm-ish ski, medium flex, etc.)? I have no problem with the current recommendations, I'm just curious if me misrepresenting my skill level in the original post skewed the answers a bit.

With the current discount and some special PugSki pricing we can get the Brahma SP pretty darn close to $400 with bindings.

The Brahma SP is really, really appealing. Especially for that price.

Few questions, how does this ski handle powder? I remember hearing someone say a while ago to buy equipment that will play to your weaknesses. This really stuck out to me and I bring this up now because the two times that I have skied powder, it wasn't a very enjoyable experience. Lots of falling and I was exhausted after just a few runs. I'll be the first to admit that this was largely due to my skill level but I'm sure the smaller waist on my rental skis didn't help. I guess that's why I'm concerned if 88mm waist will be enough to handle powder. I'm sure it will be in which case I'll focus on my technique rather than trying to blame the equipment. Like Philpug mentioned though, I suppose I should really be planning for the conditions that we'll get rather than the conditions we dream of but I'd love to be able to enjoy the powder in the off chance that we get it.

A lot of people mentioned that these would be good skis to grow and develop on which I totally understand. Are these a pair of skis that I'll outgrow in just a few seasons though? Or will these last me a while (in terms of what they're capable of)? Unfortunately, these are the only skis that I see myself buying in the foreseeable future so I want to make sure they're versatile enough to keep me happy for a while.

OP -- take the advice here much more seriously than your thread at reddit. The people over there are recommending a bunch of way too burly skis for someone of your size and skill. While those are fun later in your life as a skier, they'll slow down your progress for now.

I appreciate the clarification. The recommendations there definitely seemed contrasted with the recommendations here a bit. When you say "burly", do you just mean skis that are too big for me that I won't be able to properly take advantage of?

Final random question, what length would you guys recommend for someone like me? Most guides I've seen have recommended ~180cm but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I appreciate the clarification. The recommendations there definitely seemed contrasted with the recommendations here a bit. When you say "burly", do you just mean skis that are too big for me that I won't be able to properly take advantage of?

Final random question, what length would you guys recommend for someone like me? Most guides I've seen have recommended ~180cm but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Reddit folks (with few exceptions) recommend gear that they ski and think cause they like, it's good for everyone. But that is just not the case with skis.

By burly I mean that many skis you see recommended there (like Bonafides) take a good bit of speed, energy, and technique to get them to ski to their potential. Based on your description, even if you "ski fast" you are not at the level where you can bend a ski like that and be rewarded. Skiing big burly skis when your'e not ready causes one to bypass good technique. That's fine if you just want to go fast down the hill. If you want to become a better skier, it doesn't help you. Ask me how I know.

Re:sizing: I'm 6'2" / 170#. My skis range from 177 (groomer ski) to 187 (pow ski). I would aim on the lower end of that if I were you, some just sub 180 should be about right.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are quite a few pretty accomplished skiers here who have gotten out on the Brahma SP (CA) and were duely impressed with what it was capable of. As far as it being able to handle powder, it wasn't too long ago that an 88mm ski WAS a powder. ski. The Brahma is a good foundation ski for you, and if I was going to choose one width of a ski for Tahoe it would be a ski in this range. You can always add a wider ski down the road but I would not go much over 95mm for what you need and where you are in your skiing career. While you might not be ready for this Olympics, you will surely be ready for the next one.

TS
NoScoped

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all of the replies and everyone's patience throughout this thread. I'm virtually sold on the 180cm Brahmas SP. I I know that everyone talks about demoing skis before buying but I'm tempted to just pull the trigger on them, especially since I'm not sure how long the discount (or SkiEssential's stock) will last. The price, as well as everyone's recommendations, makes these really appealing. Any insight? Anyone think I'll find a better ski/binding at this price point? Still worth demoing other skis?

@NoScoped : sorry if I missed this, but you do have properly fitted boots, right?

I do. I got fitted for Salomon X MAX 100's last season at Start Haus in Truckee, CA.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thanks for all of the replies and everyone's patience throughout this thread. I'm virtually sold on the 180cm Brahmas SP. I I know that everyone talks about demoing skis before buying but I'm tempted to just pull the trigger on them, especially since I'm not sure how long the discount (or SkiEssential's stock) will last. The price, as well as everyone's recommendations, makes these really appealing. Any insight? Anyone think I'll find a better ski/binding at this price point? Still worth demoing other skis?

You can definitely send @SkiEssentials a PM and they'll give you color in terms of stock. If you look around, puggers (including myself) have had a great experience with them.

Last season I got my first skis, also like you as a OSQ, but I was behind you: about 40 days skied over my first two seasons, and I'm a couple decades older, so I'm sure you are at a better place. Same height, 20 pounds heavier, and I got the Dynastar Powertrack 89 at 179cm. I Love them. Day one, they improved my skiing, not in small part because they were much more stabled than the rentals, and they inspired a ton of confidence. I am sure they would work great for you. You would flow better (being lighter), but you have the same lever to tip them on edge. But I think they would cost more with bindings, than the amazing price shown above. And it's quite possible that the Brahmas are actually better for your skill level and for development.

But I would defer to others who actually know about skis on that. I just wanted to share my own experience with a OSQ in Tahoe. But I;m no gear expert by any means, so just take this as my own experience rather than an opinion. @Philpug , thoughts on how they would compare?

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still worth demoing other skis?

No, don't lose a good deal on a fine ski that is well-suited for your level, size and mission. The truth is that you aren't really at a point in your skiing where demo'ing will make all that much of a difference. My guess from this thread is that you haven't put in enough miles on enough different skis to know what you want nor will you be able to reach informed, actionable conclusions regarding the inputs you are feeling. Moreover, anything you try in the category (medium to soft flexing, ~90 underfoot) will feel amazing in all conditions relative to rentals.

Phil gave you a perfect suggestion. You found a sweet price. Go for it. Worst case scenario, get something else next season and presto you have a quiver!

Have a fun season.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
There are quite a few pretty accomplished skiers here who have gotten out on the Brahma SP (CA) and were duely impressed with what it was capable of. As far as it being able to handle powder, it wasn't too long ago that an 88mm ski WAS a powder. ski. The Brahma is a good foundation ski for you, and if I was going to choose one width of a ski for Tahoe it would be a ski in this range. You can always add a wider ski down the road but I would not go much over 95mm for what you need and where you are in your skiing career. While you might not be ready for this Olympics, you will surely be ready for the next one.

Hey Phil, what are they going for flat? I'll bet it'd make a ripp'in good teley ski!

Sponsor

Staff online