• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Racer Marketing

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Rather than dwell on negatives I spent some time looking around at the rest of the ski racing stars....

Gotta say that https://www.laragut.ch is a great website, one of the best individual racer sites I've seen. Especially like that she promotes her coaches and staff and everything is written with a positive vibe that isn't overly narcissistic or vain. And it's a well designed responsive website too.

http://www.aksellundsvindal.com presents a great persona too but like most of the others they rely on social media to carry their message.

Of course Ted Ligety and Mikaela Shiffren have great content on Instagram, they're one of the last reasons left for keeping that horrid app around ;-p

Who else is doing a good job?

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
A lot of these athletes are being encouraged to use Instagram as it's fast, easy, and it measures your followers right away. Having "X" numbers of followers on Insta is a good negotiating tool. Now having said that, some post good, fun content to let you know what they are up to. Others, not so much. At least, IMO.

Having a strong and well done social media presence also takes a bit of the "power" out of the traditional PR advisor's hands. For the bigger guns, I hear that there is conflict about "who does what", and for how much of the pie. I can't imagine anybody being told to not be concerned about their social media, but depending on how it's done, it can get out of the grasp of the advisor group. And some athletes have had big teams.

Sad reality is that the very top guns are the ones for whom this matters, as they have the income, the deals, the opportunity. The others, and the younger up and comers really have to claw for it. We have so many racers in this country who are paying a big piece of their own way, and are not getting paid a dime by their equipment manufacturers. They are delighted to get a pretty minor head gear sponsor to help pay a few bills.

Whenever I hear a young USST athlete, or somebody who "films for....insert film company", and they or their family describes them as a professional athlete, I cringe.

Our son is a very close friend of a skier who I think is certainly becoming one of the biggest names in the sport and he's not making anywhere near as much money as I had hoped he might be. Not even close. In fact he's given the chance and opportunity to get his name and face out there, and the pitch is that the pay days will come form other sources, down the road, but they don't seem to materialize.

A lot of "I need to get a real job...." I know one top free skier who is seriously thinking of becoming a plumber or electrician, as he thinks it's one way that he could get back to living near the mountains, paying his bills, and getting back to loving the sport.

When it feels like a job, and you are making no money, not so much fun. Too bad.

The income disparity is enormous. Some ex racers have done very well, by being smart and energetic. I think Keely Kelleher has really done a great job, as one example. Nice presence on line.

I'll have to search a few websites. Funny, have never even checked a few of my favorite athletes.

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Translation of one of Mattias programs on a threadmill:

warm up
4min 10km/h
4min 13km/h
4min 15/h

3min rest

Test
15km/h 0 degrees on threadmill, after 1min raise to 1 degree elevation, then raise 0,5 degress every minute. See for how long you can go. Mattias did 9 minutes, elevation 4,5 degrees when he stepped off.

"There you have it, a time to best. Go for it!"

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How much of this is for relevance as an athlete to gain sponsors and how much is to remain relevant after the last gate is crushed?

scott43

Skier
I dunno..I have a professional online presence, partly because I feel like I genuinely have valuable knowledge and partly because I'm marketing myself. Probably a bit of both I'd say.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
http://mattiashargin.com really excellent photographer, I'm impressed!

Going with the whole DIY aspect of some of the outlier member of the USST and the international level Americans who have to foot their own bills, I see where the social media really pay off. It's diminished the "blogging' from a few years ago and replaces it with more immediate smart phone imagery and less writing but for most people that's probably easier and better. It actually feels like a hassle to leave instagram and go spend time looking at someone's personal website so I bet that someone like Lara Gut may have XXXX instagram fans but only 1-5% actually go look at her website.

Who isn't a bit envious of https://www.instagram.com/warnernickerson/ at least based on his Instagram feed?

~~~

To @Muleski's point about the money not being there I've seen this with other "mature" sports too. Outside of getting that coveted Red Bull sponsorship there just isn't much. When I did advertising and we went after the ski industry it was laughable to finally see budgets the major well-known brands worked with... really pathetic.

And now that people watch less network and cable TV, and mainstream sports, especially American football are rapidly loosing fans ~ we're going to have a lot more personalities and celebrities to dilute a smaller overall budget.

(What it does speak to is how we, the consumers, do the promotion for the brands for them... take the loyal customer base out of the equation and they'd get 1/10th the exposure. That's why when you hear something bad about a ski brand - poor customer service, dumb social media post, etc. - it is 100x worse than all the positives.)

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Frankly I'd love to watch ski racing if I could find it.
:huh:
When I did advertising and we went after the ski industry it was laughable to finally see budgets the major well-known brands worked with... really pathetic.
This is something that we're continually dealing with.

Muleski

Inactive
How much of this is for relevance as an athlete to gain sponsors and how much is to remain relevant after the last gate is crushed?

Good question, @Tricia.

And of course, I'm going to give you the ultra vague "it all depends" answer. I can only speak to the athletes who's circumstances I'm somewhat familiar with, and most are alpine racers. As I have mentioned, the disparity is enormous in current earnings, as well as future earnings both before and after retirement. It also seems like the real "mother lode" arrives when you seriously become a global star.

As you and others ^^^^ have pointed out, particularly with your priceless comment:

@Frankly I'd love to watch ski racing if I could find it.
:huh:

And the comments about lean advertising budgets, etc., the basic business is not that encouraging for the majority the athletes, particularly in North America. There is ZERO TV or mainstream media coverage for the sport in the USA. Yes, we'll get our token snippets on NBC during the Olympics, but otherwise you have to be a cyber whiz or a detective to track down the racing. Does it have ANY appeal for advertisers? Seriously? Even if it were on ESPN3 with fewer than 100K viewers, is that a group that anybody would pend advertising budget on?

So, the "pool" of corporations or organizations that are willing to invest in these athletes is smaller than ever. If you have serious global appeal, well, things are different. Bode Miller or Ted Ligety can pretty much walk down any street in their country and go unnoticed. So can MS, and obviously Mancuso. Lindsey Vonn, probably not. Some of that may be her very stunning physical presence in terms of her size. But ANY of them is instantly recognized, and some of them moved with autograph and selfie requests in Europe. Think Hirscher would be recognized in the US? No. Svindal's GF lives in NYC, and he loves being here as he is just another big guy on the street, riding his bike in the park, getting coffee, etc. Very few of us would recognize him. The general public...no.

Back to the disparity. I'll stick to the USA. The skiers on the C and D teams pay a big price tag to self fund, and it doesn't stop with the USST expenses. They still need to live, and eat. Most want a car. The "delta" is ugly. They need to find the money to pay the USST tens of thousands of dollars to get the uniform, train, and compete. Then, when not with the team, they need a roof over their heads, etc. Being able to work at anything else is pretty much impossible, as it's a year round thing. So that group is scrambling to raise money any way they can. Years ago, if you made the team, you stood a pretty good chance of getting a contract with a ski company that paid you some money. You did not have to be one of the bigger guns. Now those are fewer and far between. The stars of the sport are paid a TON of money by the ski/boot companies. Most of the skiers on the USST are getting very good support in terms of their equipment, some in tech services. Few are putting any cash in the bank.

People like Vonn, Gut, MS, and such earn a lot of money form their headgear sponsors. If you are in a Redbull helmet, you are making serious money. Hirscher earns a fortune. Those women in a Purple Mika helmet are very well compensated. Then look at the USST. It might be the skia rea that you grew up at that throws you $5K to wear the logo. Maybe it's a company near where you grew up, or a regional bank, or a food company. Bottom line...not much money, and very little real return for those renting the real estate on the helmet. Who even sees it?

We all know that MS has the Barilla logo, at least through this season. Do you know who Resi's is? I hear that the price for MS is about 100 times more.

So yes, somebody like MS or LV has a big watch deal. Rolex for Vonn {and Gut}, Longines for MS. Their agents seek and are pitched deals all the time. Do most of the rest even have an agent? Or a good one?

The social media thing, particularly the explosion of Instragram lets these skiers get a much wider awareness and presence, which helps them push their sponsors, as they increase their followers. Again, the disparity in the number of people following these skiers is huge. Vonn has well over 1 Million followers. MS has slightly more than 300K. Gut, and Anna Veith are about the same. Ika Stuhec, Goggia and others probably more like 50K. Resi, less. A youngster like Breezy Johnson, a few thousand.

These followers are currency. One of the issues that I know some research companies are digging into is whether Lara Gut, Anna, and MS all have different groups of followers among each's 300K....or is their a tire group of fans who follow them all? Early they are all still world class winter sports athletes. Vonn? She is moving on to the next career, and she clearly intends {as do her agents and handlers} to have her become a big media star. In what niche, who knows? But the plan is unquestionably to create opportunity and income to blow her current earnings away.

I follow every single young ski racer that I can on Instagram, and hope that friends of mine might follow them after seeing a post that I like. Some of these kids are more savvy than others. Do not post dumb stuff. Do not use the F-Bomb. It's hard as they want to be "normal" kids, and connect with their friends that way. Problem is the stupid platform could be enormous if they handle it the right way. Same with Twitter. It can be huge.

I have a close friend who has been a pretty big player in the sports wear business, shoes to be exact. I was spouting off a few weeks ago about how much I detest Lavar Ball. My friend says the guy is obnoxious, loud, etc., and that he is a genius. Explains to me even if people hate him, they want to know what he's up to. I guess that the number of people following him on Twitter has just exploded. And on Twitter he can take up more space, more words. Not as visual. Obviously both platforms work well.

Facebook? A webpage.....maybe for some of our demographic group here. Otherwise, not so much. There will be more platforms soon.

Back to Tricia's question, most of our skiers are own Rally Me, Crowdfunding, and doing anything possible to raise every single dime that they can. I really feel for these kids and their families. It is not fun. I have posted many, many times that it is just shameful that the USST can't raise the money to fund the entire squad. I personally think they should cut a lot of overhead, fund the team, and only add headcount that is absolutely essential. It's somewhat bloated.

But the REAL issue is that "nobody", at least in decent numbers, cares about competitive skiing in this country. This is not NASCAR. When the USST pitches sponsorship deals, they are almost impossible to sell. They have some that will dry up when a few key people leave the board, or cash out and retire from work. The USST desperately needs private donations, and I think they do a lousy job, to be honest.

The bottom line is that calling this group professional athletes is not so accurate. As for the men and women who still are ski and racing, late in their 20's, while not sniffing a USST nomination and entirely self funding, in some cases having NEVER had a WC start, and likely never going to, I just don't get it. Do you pay $50-$100K a year to be a professional athlete?

I think that the money is earned by a very select few, in pretty big numbers at the top. I get it. Their brands are stronger, and they bring more value to potential sponsors. It is staggering at how fast the line drops as your world rankings drop. Skiing a full WC schedule, skiing in multiple Olympics, and paying to do it? With virtually no sponsors of any size? That is brutal.

I would assume that after the end of this year, we'll see MS with a lot of new contracts, and that they will be at close to record levels. I bet that we'll see LV's sponsors and deals move to looking a lot like post retirement deals. Maybe she'll leave Under Armor and be back with Nike. RedBull could use her differently. Perhaps fashion, lifestyle. Put it this way, LV is not going to be a ski coach, or earning her living on a mountain. Could she be an ambassador for KSL/Aspen instead of Vail? Yes. In her case, she is in demand, and a million plus people know where she is and what she is doing.....every single day.

LV's game plan has to be to be in the public eye, and very relevant far into the future. I would suspect that Anna Veith is in that mode right now, and that we'll see more looks like that with Gut. Of course both are coming off injury, so you see a lot of non ski stuff. With LV, you see everything. Pretty brilliant.

MS? Building a brand, keeping sponsors happy, and positioning for huge paydays coming. Not that she's struggling now!

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to think if another woman on the team earns close to $50K. Pretty much the same for the men. Ligety and.......hmm. I'd be curious about even Nyman and Weibrecht. Steven might get paid more than he truly should be Fischer. He's been with the forever, since he was tapped as the next greatest thing.

There is a reason why some of our skiers come from very wealthy families. Not all. Some. AW's future is secure, shall we say.

On the free ride side, two big names are friends of our adult kids. BIG names. One of them is everywhere. Films, covers, ski equipment gear sponsorships {and their main face}. You would think that the earns a decent income. No. He gets to ski all over the world. He gets so much free equipment. He'll get bikes and climbing gear. The movies and magazine covers, and product shoots? Not much money. The "sale" is that the exposure will help him cash in down the road. It's been close to 10 years, and the cash has not flowed. When he visits our son, he is treated like a rock star by kids and the ski crowds, and he sleeps on the couch, and is thankful for it.

The son of a friend of mine was not quite at this guy's level, but he was a name that most everybody in that niche knew well. He had "deals" with ski, boot, binding, pole, clothing, helmet, goggle and glove companies. He had a lot of stuff, and not a dime. He "filmed for" all of the indy ski film companies. TGR was the main one. Finally, when he hit 30, his dad said that he simply could not send a dime his way. "This charade is over. You're not a professional athlete. You are broke, and you have NO prospects." It was hard, but nobody else in the sport would be honest. Sick line you skied there, dude, here's another PBR. That blonde chick thinks you're hot.

Now the few guys who they know who were pro freestyle skiers {pipe} and pro snowboarders at/near the top of the game earned a TON of money for a few years. Seven figures plus, annually. They were the best. Snowboarding had a lot of appeal and great numbers at that time. They rode the wave. But most of their fellow competitors were making almost no money.

It's not easy. It's what I always try to give parents who spend a fortune in these things a bit of a reality check to make sure that they are doing it for the right reasons. In the alpine world, the chances of the USST are almost nil, and guess what, you'll still be paying.Most expensive jacket you can buy. College? Yep, great option. Scholarships.....not many. More if you come of the USST. So don't bet on that.

Big Mountain? No USST. No college scholarship potential at all. and less sponsorship money every single year.

That's why I really love the long term focus of just loving the sport. Everybody quits competing at some point so love the sport for a lifetime.

If you're lucky enough to make real money at this sport as a competitor, you are absolutely remarkably special. If it's seven figure income, or much more, you're almost a unicorn. Vonn, MS, Hirscher, Svindal, Gut.......wow.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
You would think with skiing being a white collar sport that the racing side of it could find a network/cable tv outlet to consistently televise the men's and women's circuits.
Of course advertisers love white collar sports and ratings and number or viewers / listeners isn't the end all because of the potential money they can spend.
It's like the Don Imus thing where he doesn't have a huge audience but the people that listen to his show are white collar and he gets a huge amount of money from the advitisers because his listeners / viewers spend money.
With all of the channels available you wouldn't think it would be THAT hard.
( I hope I'm not stating the obvious).

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
OK so it's very difficult for middle class American families to fund an aspiring world class ski athlete. We're trying to keep up with the kids in government funded, full time sports academies using private funds and there isn't much if any help from the national organizations or sponsors.

Why not take a page from the even less popular skiing sports like Nordic and Jumping? They have grass roots programs based where nature and community are favorable to skiing sports (Ski towns and nearby utilizing the Bill Koch League, quaint jumping hills you see lined up outside of town, the school teams, etc.) Anyone who is superbly gifted, Mikaela Shiffren caliber, gets identified early on and given top flight prep to hopefully become the next world cup winning athlete. What ski academy wouldn't give a young Shiffren a full ride? Everyone else skis their hearts out, develops a healthy balance between skiing, school, and life, and maybe goes on to have a satisfying college and Masters ski career.

If some rich kids that don't have Shiffren level talent want to keep at it and support the academies and fund their Europa Cup experience then more power to them.

Maybe some ski academies have to fold and the racing programs on the margins shrink. The whole footprint retracts but people have more fun.

What's the matter with that?

Essentially this is the system we actually have but nobody wants to admit it. Instead we continue this fiction that making the USST is the Holy Grail and you've got it made once you're on it. The reality is that making the team cost most families half a million bucks and it could be another half mil to keep going. In other circles that's a crime... (or college but I digress).

Of course if there were real marketing people involved you could solve this whole quagmire in one deal... get Vail to add $one measly dollar of every lift ticket towards US Snow Sports - every other big ski area has to follow. The win-win is that snow sports generates enthusiasm and new blood and excitement to a sport doomed to an aging demographic. But but but excuses....

Last edited: