• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Public service announcement by a dedicated lifty

ThePeople'sLifty

Mountain Warrior
Skier
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to throw this out there. Today was a tough day for all of us who work the backdrop of the resort. It was a powder day at Sunday River with beautiful conditions! Fresh, beautiful natural powder, of which everyone should have been thanking the Mountain gods for.

Alas, so many guests were so rude and so entitled I just couldn't wrap my head around it.. this is not the norm and it blew me away to see this type of behavior.

I just want all of you to know how much hard work and dedication goes into being a lifty, snowmaker, groomer or lift mechanic on any mountain anywhere in the world.

We are the beasts of the mountain, and are the heartbeat of the resort. We are strong we are resilient, and we don't take kindly to rude gusts, but even still serve you with respect and a smile.

I think I speak for all of us who's voices may may never be heard.

To quote one of the wisest Lift mechanics at Sunday River. "They think these things run on hopes and drems," Understand this! We work harder than anyone on the resort, respect us, trust us and love what we do for you.

When you cut through the minutia, behind all the suits, administrators, and dollars these resorts run because we allow them to.

We do it for you, We do it for us and we do it for our families.

Our bond is like none other and if you disrespect us, talk down to us, or take us for granted, the gods of the mountain will have their way with you.

The majority of you are amazing and we love you like our own family. We will protect you, guide you and make sure you have the time of your life!

For the few who decide they are so entitled to walk on us, you will pay the price at the mercy of the gods of the mountain!

Next time you see a snowmaker, mechanic, lifty or groomer, thank them. Buy them a beer, Give them a hug or even just let them know you understand that without them you would not be able to enjoy the mountain the way you do. We appreciate it and It makes our day worth it for all the extraordinarily difficult, and in most cases underpaid work that we do so y'all can have a safe and magical experience.

These resorts are giant machines that consist of thousands of moving parts of which we are responsible for most.

We are not suits. We are not ski patrol. We are not administrators. We are the ones who possess the most necessary skill, hardness and gusto to do the job that needs to be done so the mountains can operate to the best of their abilities. We are the people of the mountain and our protector is of the divine!

Thank you for your time.
Much love,

-The peoples lifty!

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They're all lovie dovie until you've already picked their group as next to move closer to the bullwheel amirite??T

he place I worked at would open about 2pm-6pm Christmas Day for JUST The staff to hang out and ski many moons ago. They stopped doing that sometime in the late 70s/early 80s.

We're definitely an over entitled bunch these days. Service and especially retail workers get treated as sub human fixtures.

Many years ago working in retail management I once offered some entitled egomanic who was talking down to our staff a job application.. Yes, I really did that. They demanded the contact info for my district manager.. The DM was actually there in the back eating their lunch. I think this was Black Friday weekend. Anyway they angry customer told the DM what I did and the DM busted out laughing in the angry customer's face.

Sometimes it's worth it to be a little snarky back..

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
You are not forgotten by this group of skiers. Unfortunately many in today’s society are so totally wrapped up in themselves they don’t even realize how rude they are. I know that I have clapped for snow makers here at my home mountain in the Pocono’s for actually. giving us skiing in a hostile environment. My wife is a good cook and baker and constantly gives cookies to lift attendants. When we vacation in Colorado and Utah she packs up all the worthy leftovers and offers them to ski area employees and many of them are very much appreciated. Your guys are needed and under paid

TS
ThePeople'sLifty

ThePeople'sLifty

Mountain Warrior
Skier
@YallsfavLiftySRME , we appreciate all you do.

Different industry, different circumstances, but in your situation I'm wondering if you've ever considered trying something like this?

Entertaining idea but I'd be more than willing to bet that's asking for a visit to HR. ;)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Alas, so many guests were so rude and so entitled I just couldn't wrap my head around it.. this is not the norm and it blew me away to see this type of behavior.
Ugh, sorry you had to deal with this behavior. Unfortunately, I sometimes feel like powder days bring out the worst in people. The whole "no friends on a powder day" mentality can be pretty contemptuous. Then there's the opposite crowd that can't ski 3D snow and complain that there's not enough groomed. Powder days can be a no-win situation to those that run the resorts.

I was at SR on Monday, and it was a day to remember. I'm sorry you have to remember it in the light of the crap you received overshadowing the beautiful day. Thank you for your hard work getting the lifts going and clearing snow! All of your hard work did not go unnoticed.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Admins, any thoughts about moving this thread to the general skiing forum so it get a wider audience?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
During Christmas @Andy Mink and @AKMINK usually take some kind of goodies to hand out to the lifties.
In general, we should keep this in mind.

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is so easy to be kind, and kindness tends to spread when you share it. Thanks to all of you whose hard work makes our ski days possible. Especially those days when you turn a pile of ice into something we can turn on.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunday River skier here.. I was not at the mountain that day, but hate to hear about the bad behavior of some. It’s so hard to understand how people can spread such negative energy in such a special place. I mean how can they be anything other than happy they get to be on a mountain sliding on snow??? And on a powder day at that!

I do hope the vast majority of visitors you encounter are friendly, respectful, and grateful human beings. It’s my favorite place to be and that wouldn’t be possible without all of you!

Sponsor

Staff online