• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA: That thing that covers your head and neck...

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I prefer a neck gaiter and skull cap when cold enough to need something under the helmet. It is more adjustable and allows the ponytail to escape out between the two. Most of the time the buff weight works but when it's super cold I really like my Smartwool neck gaiters.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Never mind the clothing - was also the genesis of war reporting, modern war poetry and the trigger for the Ruskies flogging Alaska to America.

Also the trigger for the current perception of nursing as a female profession - in spite of hundreds of years of Knights Hospitaler tradition :D

Also the trigger for final breakaway and independence of Turkish possessions in Europe.

Also the trigger for the next 200 years of Baltic politics - though the Baltic aspect of the war doesn't get talked about much.

And let's not even start on the analysis of the effects that war had on the Mutiny and subsequent Indian politics.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Next to the pugski buff, the next best one is from Mt. Bachelor. It is the map of the hill and can come in handy.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
crimmap2.jpg

OK, Crimean war nerds, what other clothing item name originates from this war?
I bet I have heard of it. The only other war related clothing name I can come up with is Napoleon pockets. I will try and think some more, see if I come up with it.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stated reading wipikedia article in the Crimean war, and there, in the midddle of the page, a well known name jumped out at me. Never would have known that. Good one!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I like the Turtle Fur Balaklava that is thick, because I can pull it away from my face and have it just act like a wall against wind without actually touching my face. The part under the helmet is thin, I can pull down the face protection entirely if I need to, or pull it away from my face if I need the exhalation room, but still need wind protection. It's less elastic or something than the other varieties, so it stays away, but still substantial enough to stay UP. When people give me buffs, I hand them to my daughter. She likes those things, but they are too tight for me.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am kind of with you Sibhusky. I usually prefer a thicker, looser fleece neck gaiter, because it stands up and is wide enough for my chin to fit inside it. Tighter gaiters (like buffs) always end up sliding down underneath my chin.
I do still wear a thin balaclava underneath. I might have to try that Turtle Fur one.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
if you can get a balaclava under your helmet, your helmet is too big.....:rolleyes:

and so help me understand this, many of you want a soft-eared or cut down helmet....and then you need a balaclava under it to keep warm???? too bad nobody has invented a full coverage race helmet that would do both jobs.....oh wait they have ......:popcorn:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
and so help me understand this, many of you want a soft-eared or cut down helmet....and then you need a balaclava under it to keep warm???? too bad nobody has invented a full coverage race helmet that would do both jobs.....oh wait they have ......:popcorn:

Yes, but then goggles have to actually fit faces instead of relying on 19dozen squidgy monobuttocked kludges - sorry- adjustments to get it all ~lined up. Your expectations may be outside the norm? :eek:
:D

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
if you can get a balaclava under your helmet, your helmet is too big.....:rolleyes:

I have a full coverage race helmet that seemed to fit perfectly in the store. Then my head shrank or something, maybe the lining compressed, but it needed just a touch more snugness, so for the first time ever I bought a Balaclava. Far cheaper than replacing a helmet. And really, the cold can be brutal here. I have my spring Balaclava for warm days (upper 20's and higher). No face coverage on that one.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
The UA is my favorite... I have 2. I also have a soft knitted neck gaiter for when it's colder since my jacket (until recently) had a pretty open neck that tended to let cold air in.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And FWIW, I found a small Greek hole-in-wall-type place that, in addition to a decent lamb souvlaki gyro, makes these chocolate covered baklava. I go out of my way for those.

Funny, my auto-correct tried to make it “black lava.”

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Balaclava, yes. But in our household we just call 'em "snoods". I think our kid came up with it years ago.

I'll admit there have been times when somebody asks me what that thing is I'm wearing under my helmet & I have indeed mumbled something that sounded more like "baklava" - but I'm going to blame that on lunchtime beer festivities.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use a buff. My Turtle Fur neck gaiter has been retired. Really cold days I go full balaclava. For really, really cold days buff and balaclava.