• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA: That thing that covers your head and neck...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...is called a balaclava. Baklava is the middle eastern/ Greek sweet made with layers of filo dough.

This is a balaclava:
ea03ff32-e009-4ff5-a761-9cddf3e23511

Some people call it a facemask. They are wrong. ;)

This is a facemask:
0d948d37-9c43-464e-b5d8-bc2d2deb4aa8

or this:

Unisex-Men-Skull-Head-Face-Mask-Wear-Tube-Bandana-Durag-Biker-Motorcycle-Scarf-1PCS.jpg_640x640.jpg

I agree, it gets confusing, since a lot of balaclavas include an attached facemask:

bcf68e2d-3808-45d5-bda0-425cfe461e91

It's surprising to me how many people (even here in northern MN, where we have a lot of use for them) don't know the word.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a big fan of a thin balaclava that leaves the mouth free:
  • it fits easily under a helmet and goggles and stays in place no matter what.
  • it keeps your ears and neck covered no matter what
  • the covering over the side of your cheek/neck below the ears, really helps cut wind chill
  • you can always add awarmer hat, headband or neck gaiter if it's cold out.
You can see it in my profile pic (older smart wool one).

I don't like the models that cover your mouth nearly as much. Its seldom necessary, and just leaves you with wet, nasty patch of fabric over your mouth. They are far more common though.

In thicker models you need to watch out that they cover the forehead well, I've tried some that have a gap, leading to an ice-cream head ache.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the one and only Pugski.com approved option...
View attachment 34571

#plugthepug

I know a lot of people like them. But it's not for me. if I pull it up over my head and ears, it leaves the front of my head uncovered, its tight under the jaw, and slides down a lot.

I much prefer a thin balaclava: covers all places you want to, and is shaped to match a human head and stays put.

I do often use a buff as a thin neck gaiter.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I do often use a buff as a thin neck gaiter.
This year is the first time I've heard "buff". We always called them "neck gaiter", usually the Turtle Fur brand ones. I acknowledge that "gaiter" is an ugly word, too close the "goiter".

Does it have to be thin to be a "buff"?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
From the 'authorities' on Buffs: http://www.buffwear.com/faqs#question-2

I have used thick balaclavas, thin ones and totally useless ones (basically the ones that don't fit well or move on their own). I have become a big fan of the buff. All mine are thin, stretchy material that I suspect is very similar to the highly desireable PugSki model.

The thin ones are remarkably comfortable and warm. It apparently doesn't take a lot to cut down on wind and cold. I find I need a buff most of the time at Breck as UV pro as well as for warmth. I especially like them right after a haircut when my neck is particularly susceptible to drafts.

Ummm. Buffff.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
the one and only Pugski.com approved option...
View attachment 34571

#plugthepug

I like these -- but ya'll need a double-layer one as well. They are $$$ on cold days.

My other favorites for skiing are micro-grid fleece balaclavas.

The patagucci one is very nice -- http://www.patagonia.com/product/capilene-4-thermal-weight-balaclava/28690.html.

Or you can get a less precise version with a very similar fabric (I've got both at home) for $7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00819C64U/ref=twister_B018MSRAZY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All later or foreign word terms for what it was originally called (with or without separate eye and mouth holes.. it has ALWAYS been called a "Ski Mask" in 'Murika!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
crimmap2.jpg

OK, Crimean war nerds, what other clothing item name originates from this war?

I googled the answer. I never would have known otherwise. I won't tell you the answer, but I will let people know when they are getting warm. :roflmao:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have or had all of the above and then some.

Got rid of my thin Turtle Fur neck tube. I had thought the thin fabric woukd be more efficoent at wicking and drying but found out otherwise. Worn over my mouth, the wet spot migrated around a majority of the thing. Rotating it a 1/2 turn still left my chin uncomfortably covered with wet fabric.

I usually carry two Anon MFI magnetically attached to the MIG goggle mask and one or two back up face mask.
One of these days I'll cut the bottom section off of an Anon MFI magnetic mask leaving only the upper to cover my nose and cheeks which often is all that is needed to keep my nose from freezing. Would be nice if Anon made such a thing.

https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/mens-anon-mfi-midweight-neckwarmer/W18-152561.html

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Never mind the clothing - was also the genesis of war reporting, modern war poetry and the trigger for the Ruskies flogging Alaska to America.