• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powder turns

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Eric and Newfy. Hows the snow at Bachelor ? I am thinking I bought the wrong ski but will give them another try or two. Next day with 6 in or plus will take the Praxis and Soul7 and then I may have a better idea. Thanks

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
I own a pair of 7's, but unfortunately I don't like them for the same reasons as @Josh Matta . Very unreliable on hard groomers when you ski them hard. (I now use a pair of Black Crows Atris which I love).
I do think they work ok in the powder though, but you have to ski them like a modern ski. They don't work very well with the bouncy kind of turn that we used on old skis. They bend too much. Try to use them more like on the groomers instead.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I skied a few runs on a Soul 7 the first year they came out. I am a heavy guy and I didn't like them on hard pack but never gave them a try in powder.

Most of the skiers who like Soul 7 are light weight skiers, some use them in all types of conditions.

There are subtle differences between skis and subtle differences between skiers which is why it is always best to demo.

Hey Pete, I noticed that in your op you state your age as 75. You know that at Red Mtn, 75 and up ski free, don't you?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not knowing the op or his abilities I don't know if he might have just bought to soft of a ski. I suspect so.

Oh yeah, he is an excellent skier. Plus, he is really old, and its unlikely he can learn any new tricks;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to answer your question Pete, the snow on Bachelor was great around Halloween, and has sucked ever since. Every storm goes around us. Come on down, and bring those rock skis!

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied a few runs on a Soul 7 the first year they came out. I am a heavy guy and I didn't like them on hard pack but never gave them a try in powder.

Most of the skiers who like Soul 7 are light weight skiers, some use them in all types of conditions.

There are subtle differences between skis and subtle differences between skiers which is why it is always best to demo.

Hey Pete, I noticed that in your op you state your age as 75. You know that at Red Mtn, 75 and up ski free, don't you?

Yep Red, Whitewater and Whitefish

Oh yeah, he is an excellent skier. Plus, he is really old, and its unlikely he can learn any new tricks;)

"really old" yep probably guilty of that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to answer your question Pete, the snow on Bachelor was great around Halloween, and has sucked ever since. Every storm goes around us. Come on down, and bring those rock skis!

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Another data point: my wife, who is 5'11 and about 160, is gonna buy some 180 Soul 7s after demoing a few times . Her comment after demoing them in soft bumps recently: they practically turn themselves. She's not an expert skier, but is fairly strong/athletic. Normal ski is a 173 Black Pearl. Anyways, I could believe that it's not quite enough ski for you.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Little late to comment but so what.

Demo'd one day at Silver with about 5 in of good powder on a soft base. Tried Liberty 2 models, Rossi, K2, Line. Skied the same area with each ski and decided I liked the Liberty genesis the best. Took Libertys back to shop at 2pm and shop guy told me to take out the Solomon QST which I did. I liked the Solomon best, found it more predictable and consistent in the powder and was better than all the others on groomers. Especially like the dampness of the QST's. Bought a pair.

Now happy with my quiver: Rock skis old original pair of Blizz Bonafidees (bent edge, corse shot twice but still skiing), groomers Elan 88xti, little powder/variable off piste Solomon QST 106under foot, Powder skis 8 in plus or cat or heli Praxis Protests.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
75 years old and still ripping powder. RESPECT!

Thanks, don't know about the ripping part but still having fun. Blew away my bucket list; heli, week at JH, Chile in August did it all so now bucket list is to ski this (after a 30 min hike to the top) when I am 80 in at least 6 in of powder. Silver Mt. Idaho Wardner peak.

IMG_0536.JPG