• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where we used to measure 90* from on the top of the fore arm, now I will measure 45* on the bottom of the arm, this will give you a good idea. for length.
This is an old post from page 1, but I don't understand it. Wouldn't that make them 6 inches shorter than the old method? I'm thinking the current consensus is for slightly shorter poles than the traditional length, but that much? Am I reading your response correctly?

James

Out There
Instructor
This is an old post from page 1, but I don't understand it. Wouldn't that make them 6 inches shorter than the old method? I'm thinking the current consensus is for slightly shorter poles than the traditional length, but that much? Am I reading your response correctly?
There you go with calculating again..
So now we need a protractor. It's near impossible to eyeball 45deg on your own arm without a mirror.

The odd thing is people are way more resistant to changing pole length than skis. They'll listen about ski length, but poles they know. I've had kids with poles 10 inches too long. When I mention it often I'm looked at as crazy.

I'm down to 45 inches from 49. Though last season seems like a 100 years ago, I believe I was contemplating going to 44 inches. Which is kind of shocking - knocking on the park rat door.
The whole right angle arm thing- you never ski like that. Try a pair of adjustables for a bit and see.
The worst part of short poles seems to be poling to the lift line. That does feel weird.

Sponsor