• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
sorry for the potentially stupid question but here it goes:

when and under what circumstances are pit zips effective... I am in the process of looking for a shell but will just be on the greens and blues with my kids, I don't see myself getting too aggressive because frankly I don't have the skill.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Well, in spring, when it's warmer and the sun is beating on me, I use the pit-zips on my shell. For me, it has more to do with the outside temperature, rather than the intensity of my movements.
In those circumstances, I wear a shell jacket because of the wind higher up the mountain and because I am moving faster than you will, perhaps.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Spring definitely. I also get really nervous on challenging new runs and sweat up a storm, so need the pit zips then :)

I also tend to use them when it's really cold. When it's really cold, you don't really want any moisture hanging around, it will keep you cold. You want your layers as dry as possible – that's when the pit zips come undone.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
On warmer days, especially if walking/skating/hiking is involved. I have an insulated Mountain Hardware jacket with Dry Q Elite that doesn't have pit zips, and I have never needed them skiing with this jacket, but have used the pit zips in my Gore-Tex work wear and was glad to have them.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You probably don't need them. I like them for when I am skiing hard (moguls or trees) or hiking. For average skiing groomers, etc. there is no need. Honestly you can always just unzip a bit and while it may look a bit sloppier it is probably a more effective way to vent.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You may be asking the other side of the question -- when do they work?

They have to be big enough -- most are, but I've seen some that are pretty short.
You can't have too many layers under them -- preferably just a base layer.
You can't have something holding them closed -- notably backpack straps.
I suppose if you always hold your arms close to the body that might block them too -- get those hands out there like an instructor practicing for an exam.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It can be a surprising amount of work to ski with kids. You might find yourself making more turns to control your speed, you might even have to snowplow, you might have to help them with gear, etc...pit zips are good when you are sweating. It's nice to have the wind proof shell when you get on the lift.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Staying comfortable while skiing is a matter of regulating temperature. It's inherently an on/off sport. When you're skiing, you're using your muscles and building up a sweat (to varying degrees). When you ride up the lift, you stop exerting yourself, you're sitting on/against metal, and you're exposed to increased wind. So you essentially need to dress for two completely different sets of conditions, and you want to avoid sweat as much as possible.

I won't wear a ski jacket without pit zips anymore. I need that option so that I don't sweat on the way down and then freeze on the lift. I also like hoods - I never wear them while skiing, but I put them up on the lift to preserve body heat.

I agree with @luliski - skiing with kids may be more physical exertion than you think.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I open them if I'm hot, they are amazingly effective. (That might depend on the cut of your jacket.). Now, just to be clear, I'm not some beast on the slopes. Female on Medicare. Since I'm in Montana, chair rides can be pretty nippy, so I dress for those. Which means if the downhill involves any work, the next thing you know I'm sweating enough to fog my goggles. I wouldn't be without them. They are also handy anytime there's a big difference in temperature between base and summit, or during spring, between morning and afternoon. Another key instant adjustment that works fine for me (once again, may depend on the jacket) is the hood. Especially on windy days it can make a huge difference.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I generically won't buy a jacket without pits, pants either. Price wise i've always found them at a c similarprice.

Given equal quality I'd opt for em given aforementioned reasons. Some bbase layers offer zips too. Can't beat venting out heat on a short run or two with them open.

I'd recommend for kids jackets too, may keep em zipped up front while otherwise cool.

my kids all love em especially in spring or the cloudy days they later up but turns sunny. Lines are no fun hot.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I also won't buy a ski jacket without large pit zips. When overheated it is more convenient to open a zip rather than remove a layer and then have nowhere to put it unless you ski with a backpack, and I don't.

I also dress for a 10k+ feet long, 22 minute chairlift ride at my home mountain.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with those who say they can be useful even during low intensity skiing, because you can get hot doing that too based on lots of schlepping of gear, helping kids get back into bindings or boots, skating across a flat area, etc., or just cruising on mild days when the sun is hot. All things being equal I give pit zips the :thumb::
LL

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have 2 shells. One with pit zip vents and one without. I tend to wear the vented shell on days when it is snowing because I can vent without letting wet in. On sunny days it doesn't matter because I get a whole lot more ventilation by just unzipping the front zipper a bit.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
when in doubt, get pit zips.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most importantly you need to try the jacket. Don't get too caught up on one feature over fit. For example, you may get enamored with a jacket online only based on features and specs. But when you try it on the fit is poor and you can't even raise your arms above your head without the jacket feeling tight.

You would be better off getting a better fitting jacket, even if it didn't have the zips.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Most importantly you need to try the jacket. Don't get too caught up on one feature over fit. For example, you may get enamored with a jacket online only based on features and specs. But when you try it on the fit is poor and you can't even raise your arms above your head without the jacket feeling tight.

You would be better off getting a better fitting jacket, even if it didn't have the zips.

Getting the proper fit is the reason I do not buy ski jackets or pants on line. End of season ski shop sales are a better way, imo.

From personal experience late March to early April at Sun Peaks, Revelstoke, and Whistler just about everything ski related is 30-50% off; Banff-Lake Louise some sales but not as much as winter isn't the main season in the Alberta Rockies.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Going on your bib post, it sounds like you run warm. IMHO, a shell should always have pit zips. Don't buy a pit zip jacket that uses a 'snow stop' mesh. The mesh really reduces venting even if the zip pit is open.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to run hot, and so I wont even consider a shell without pit zips. I tend to have them at least partially open all the time, until the temps really drop. Or a long chair ride. The same thing goes for pants. Got to have some zips. More to let the steam out than to let the cool air in

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tend to run hot, and so I wont even consider a shell without pit zips. I tend to have them at least partially open all the time, until the temps really drop. Or a long chair ride. The same thing goes for pants. Got to have some zips. More to let the steam out than to let the cool air in

I have vented pants and I do love that.

Sponsor

Staff online