• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Breck is blowing snow like nobody's business. Some of the guns are right under the Beaver Run chair, and with a little wind, you get a taste of what I remember the east coast snow blowing to be like ...
We'll be there Thursday. I hope more t than 13 runs will be going! If not first round is on me!:D

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We'll be there Thursday. I hope more t than 13 runs will be going! If not first round is on me!:D

We'll almost certainly be skiing Saturday. Probably not Friday, but there's an outside chance. But either day we'd be in lessons.

FWIW, three of us were riding up with a solo guy. We were discussing how crunchy Cashier was and how we'd go to Bonanza, which was likely better (it was). The guy on the end perks up at hearing "Cashier" and comments on how great it was! Lovely snow. So then I asked, "Hey, are you from out of town?" And he of course said yes. Sometimes I wish I could take off my jaded local lenses and see Colorado skiing through fresh eyes ...

(Plenty of great opportunity to work on technique, though!)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, three of us were riding up with a solo guy. We were discussing how crunchy Cashier was and how we'd go to Bonanza, which was likely better (it was). The guy on the end perks up at hearing "Cashier" and comments on how great it was! Lovely snow. So then I asked, "Hey, are you from out of town?" And he of course said yes. Sometimes I wish I could take off my jaded local lenses and see Colorado skiing through fresh eyes
I was chatting on the lift at a place out west, and was asked about conditions on a certain run. "Well, it's a bit icy but not too bad. Good coverage. " Later they mentioned they were from New England. "I retract my previous comment. The snow is wonderful!"

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It is time:

maxresdefault.jpg

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last year was incredible for all of the premier steep mountains in CO, like Crested Butte, Telluride, Highlands, Silverton and A-Basin.
This year is the complete opposite!
Boo...

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'm currently grounded through at least Thursday with unexplained pain in the right ankle. Been "contrast bathing" with a bucket of hot water next to a bucket of cold. Referred to the surgeon who did the Achilles repair on that foot, who gave me a little wedge to put under shoe/boot insoles on one side of my heel. Pain makes it impossible to do a weighted release of the right ski.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Last year wasn’t that different from this year. We still might be dry through the end of the year.

My first day skiing this season was at Loveland. There was 13 inches overnight and the (granted limited) terrain was soft. I was disappointed, as I was looking for firm snow to provide a lot of feedback.

Personally, I like the current conditions — just wish more was open. The hard pack could be harder. Early season is for dialing things in, working on technique, and taking your skiing to a new level. All of that soft stuff just gets in the way of it.

:snowball:

Mike

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I like the current conditions — just wish more was open. The hard pack could be harder. Early season is for dialing things in, working on technique, and taking your skiing to a new level. All of that soft stuff just gets in the way of it.

Mike, I think you may have hit your head on the hardpack. You might want to get that concussion checked out. :rolleyes:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Mike

Thats an interesting viewpoint and I agree. The conditions have been really good for dialing things like you said (and for teaching and learning) and there have been some soft snow here and there (at least at Loveland and A-Basin). The limited terrain that is open really hurts though given the sheer amount of people that ski in Colorado. I would also love to get on steep terrain to practice (>30º). That is going to take a while but it's a long season I guess.

Most people are having fun out there. But us "all mountain" advanced enthusiasts are hurting a bit.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm currently grounded through at least Thursday with unexplained pain in the right ankle. Been "contrast bathing" with a bucket of hot water next to a bucket of cold. Referred to the surgeon who did the Achilles repair on that foot, who gave me a little wedge to put under shoe/boot insoles on one side of my heel. Pain makes it impossible to do a weighted release of the right ski.

Yes, but - don't panic!!!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We'll almost certainly be skiing Saturday. Probably not Friday, but there's an outside chance. But either day we'd be in lessons.

FWIW, three of us were riding up with a solo guy. We were discussing how crunchy Cashier was and how we'd go to Bonanza, which was likely better (it was). The guy on the end perks up at hearing "Cashier" and comments on how great it was! Lovely snow. So then I asked, "Hey, are you from out of town?" And he of course said yes. Sometimes I wish I could take off my jaded local lenses and see Colorado skiing through fresh eyes ...

(Plenty of great opportunity to work on technique, though!)
Seriously the ice we ski in sometimes is brutal. You could use hockey skates easily. Powder to us is loose snow on top of your ice. It's that bad. But great for carving!!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Anyway will update if I see anything positive.
And now is that time. I see a pattern change staring me in the face. The West should expect more snowfall beyond the 21st, thanks to an extension of the North Pacific jet, caused by several climatic factors in Asia.
And of course CO/UT/NM/AZ are looking like they may get a white Christmas on both EPS and GFS.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
And now is that time. I see a pattern change staring me in the face. The West should expect more snowfall beyond the 21st, thanks to an extension of the North Pacific jet, caused by several climatic factors in Asia.
And of course CO/UT/NM/AZ are looking like they may get a white Christmas on both EPS and GFS.

Shhh, don't say it too loud ;) :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online