• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They are not that far away

I’ll get it started

I’m ready

Front
D70AAB9E-4999-4C33-A2BA-D429FF7A8890.jpeg

Back
8C86D635-F354-4894-A22D-D7280C756DDE.jpeg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love, love, love, love, love the winter olympics. I love every event, well except for curling but I'm working on it. This was the one thing that had me concerned when we gave up cable because in the past I'd blow up my DVR recording all things Olympics. SlingTV was sub par for summer olympic coverage so I knew we had to figure something out. Then YoutubeTV came along with full NBC, Olympic Channel coverage and unlimited cloud based DVR'ing and my wishes became true and my problem solved.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like curling. Would like to actually do it sometime.

One of our cherished Searchmont memories is sitting in the bar, watching curling, and trying to puzzle out the rules. Canadian guy nearby finally took pity on us. Or he got reeeeeaaaaallllllly tired of our ignorance. Either way, we got a lesson.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I like curling.

I have nothing against it. There's a curling club here. We always chat with a woman at the farmer's market who's very into it. They have learn to curl events so I thought that would be fun to try. They have a bar so enticing me with beer usually works :). I didn't use to be into the biathalon event either and now I love that. Curling is the last holdout.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I like curling. Would like to actually do it sometime.

One of our cherished Searchmont memories is sitting in the bar, watching curling, and trying to puzzle out the rules. Canadian guy nearby finally took pity on us. Or he got reeeeeaaaaallllllly tired of our ignorance. Either way, we got a lesson.
Just got my mom tix to the 2018 Womens World Curling Championships in North Bay this March. She's super-stoked. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Downhill... Moguls... Hockey... SlopeStyle... Nordic Jumping.. :popcorn:

James

Out There
Instructor
No figure skating?? Sheesh people...

This year there's a mass start event for speed skating! Kind of like motocross on ice.

Muleski

Inactive
If a nuke took out 30 Rockefeller Plaza and we had to watch Euro coverage I'd be happy.

I'd normally be in agreement, but I'm really liking Bode and I think Steve Porino is doing a solid job. Can even give Dan Hicks a few kudos.

As far as most of what will be broadcast, not too excited. I'll still watch it.

Muleski

Inactive
Don't like the news, but thanks for posting. No surprise, to me. Would have been nice, but guess it was impossible.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the NBC sports app on my iPad and DVR. Between the two I can normally get enough coverage of events to keep me busy and usually, on the app you can watch an event in its entirety rather than the jump around coverage they have on tv.

Go USA :yahoo:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll watch the Olympics for sure, well, the alpine skiing coverage. Other sports not so much unless I have little else to do.

I'm old school. I think the Steve Porino and Doug Lewis combo is the best for "at the moment" race commentary. They do know the sport and get excited about what's going down the course. The network guys have good notes about the racers, competition results, and racers ages, but they don't know what it's like to go out of a start gate. Not to criticize Bode or other step in, step up retired athletes, but they don't have the miles in as regards calling races. Maybe best to start as sideline reporters, or start area reporters. Do any of you remember some years ago when the TV coverage had a graphic showing the age and weight of each racer in the start gate? Not unimportant info I guess, but I didn't need it watch the race. I like it better now when age and size (good glider = heavier build) are built into the commentary.

Muleski

Inactive
I'm with @Jack skis. I'll always watch whatever Olympic ski coverage we can get, no mater how dismal or imperfect. Just a long time junkie, I guess.

My opinion is that Steve Porino has developed into a pretty darn good journalist over the years. I know that he's worked hard at it, and he's paid his dues, and learned a lot on the job. He seems to do a decent job covering the Tour de France as well. When his ski career ended, he went to CU-Boulder and I think majored in communications, etc. So he's been serious about it.

I like Doug Lewis. He's a good guy. He loves the sport. He loves kids. He and his wife have done a great job with their EliteTeam camps. He's super enthusiastic, and that plays very well with his campers. I'm not wild about him announcing races, and I'm not a huge fan of him on the air. The enthusiasm might be part of it. He's also not real current. He's not always so accurate, IMO.

I'm a huge Bode fan. I think/hope that Bode might pick up on a bit of training. Then again, he might be stubborn, and NBC may feel that the totally "unvarnished Bode" is best. Bode is current. Bode is smart. Bode is a complete tech nut, when it comes to equipment and the nuances of the sport. He also knows almost every person skiing on the tour, knows the coaches, knows the techs......and knows "the dirt." I really find that insight very, very interesting. I know a lot of what he does is voiceovers after the races have been run, so he's doing it knowing the results, be even when he's live and on sight, he's "on his game." Also like his sense of humor.

My hunch is that given what NBC has paid for the broadcast rights for these games, Bode will probably get the word that he needs to be excited, and he needs to treat the games and the actual races like they are a big deal. As in winning Olympic gold is a big deal! Back when he competed, Bode was one who always pushed the thinking that these were just another ski race, and not worth the hype. The prize was the World Cup. However, when he won his medals, he sure looked emotional. It sure looked like "a big deal."

So hopefully he'll convey that, as I think it's good for the sport, to say the least. Ant any rate, I like this NBC team. I wish we could se more of them throughout the season. Hard to be a ski race fan in the USA these days.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Heard Felix had surgery today so sounds like his Olympic dream is over

Bummer :( . Felix is the man! It really seemed like this was gonna be a great year for him.

I concur with just about everything @Muleski said above. I think Bode & Porino make a great team. Too bad Porino will be out on the hill & not in the booth.

I hope Bode gets a chance to interview Costas :nono: :rolleyes: :D . & maybe Cristan Cooper too.