• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Schedule & General Information:

3/4 Sunday: Snowbasin
3/5 Monday: Snowbasin

• Meeting Place- Look for the Moose in the courtyard between the main base lodge and the base of the gondola. The ticket office is to the right of the Moose as you approach from the parking lots and our meeting area is going to be just behind the Moose, to the left. To get your MC Pass, bring your paperwork and photo ID with you into Earl’s Base Lodge.
  • Meeting Time: Sunday (Guides, 15 min early)
  • Announcements will begin promptly at 8:45 and groups will move toward the lift as soon as we form them.
  • Meeting time Monday Everybody - 8:45
3/6 Tuesday: Alta
  • Meeting Place- We will be meeting in the area between Goldminers Day Lodge and the ticket office. There are lockers and a boot up area just steps from the meeting spot inside the Day Lodge. You can get your MC Pass in the Skier Services building just below the Wildcat lift.
  • Meeting Time: Tuesday 8:45 (Guides, 15 min early)
  • As of today the Alta web sites shows the lifts start at 9:15. Plan on getting in the lift line at 9:00 AM
3/7 Wednesday: Snowbird
  • Meeting Place- We will meet on the Tram Deck in the morning. It is upstairs a few flights and there is also elevator access to the deck. Best bet, if you don’t boot up at your vehicle, is to boot up on the ground floor and then make your way up to the Tram Deck. There are benches and lockers on the first floor. Skis and poles are allowed in the lodge, but off your shoulder please. Ticket offices and the Season pass office are on the Tram deck. Per the MC-Pass web site you can get your pass at either the pass office or the ticket windows.
  • Meeting Time - 8:45 (and off the tram deck by 8:55 or sooner) (Guides, 15 min early)
  • Best Parking lot is lot # 2. #1 is your second choice. There is a near constant bus that runs through the logs.
3/8 Thursday:Alta
  • Meeting Place- We will be meeting in the area between Goldminers Day Lodge and the ticket office. There are lockers and a boot up area just steps from the meeting spot inside the Day Lodge. You can get your MC Pass in the Skier Services building just below the Wildcat lift.
  • Meeting Time: Tuesday 8:45 (Guides, 15 min early)
  • Special Event: DPS Demo Day- Have CC & ID along with your BSL (Boot Sole Length)
  • UPDATE(3/1): Evening Event 4-6 P.M.: DPS, Pret, Kulkea and other Pugski sponsors will be hosting a party at The Peruvian (change in venue) at Alta. There will be raffles from the sponsors and other fun stuff.
3/9 Friday: Snowbird
  • Meeting Place- We will meet on the Tram Deck in the morning. It is upstairs a few flights and there is also elevator access to the deck. Best bet, if you don’t boot up at your vehicle, is to boot up on the ground floor and then make your way up to the Tram Deck. There are benches and lockers on the first floor. Skis and poles are allowed in the lodge, but off your shoulder please. Ticket offices and the Season pass office are on the Tram deck. Per the MC-Pass web site you can get your pass at either the pass office or the ticket windows.
  • Meeting Time - 8:45 (and off the tram deck by 8:55 or sooner)
3/10 Saturday- Snowbird (Alternate Day)
  • Meeting Time - 8:45 (and off the tram deck by 8:55 or sooner) (Guides, 15 min early)

Please be ready to go right from the meeting place every day.

Look for the Pugski banner near each meeting place. We will typically attach pink or orange ribbons to attendees’ ski poles for easy identification on the hill.

GROUP LEVELS

Please be realistic about assessing your ability with regards to the group you belong in. Snowbird and Alta’s terrain can be downright gnarly so please consider your physical condition, ability to ski a given trail (as opposed to “able to get down it”) and whether your gear fits the conditions if it’s a significant powder day. You can change groups, but that can be difficult once the groups scatter on the hill.
  • Intermediate- You prefer groomed terrain and avoid moguls if possible. You may avoid powder and terrain like glades and narrow runs.
  • Intermediate / Expert- Generally you are comfortable on Intermediate (blue) terrain and need to pay attention (but don’t panic) on groomed (black) single diamond terrain. You may venture off into some boot-top (or less) powder on the edge of the trail. Not a big fan of moguls, but you can work your way through the smaller ones. It may be time to explore the (widely spaced) trees on an easier Intermediate run.
  • Experts - You generally ski the whole mountain. You can make your way through the vast majority of snow and terrain conditions but still may need to pay attention (vs just being on auto-pilot) in bumps, heavily treed terrain, open bowls with rock or avi debris and tight chutes. Intermediate terrain is for getting back to the lifts. It’s black and double black diamond for you.
  • Extreme- Anywhere / Anytime / any conditions. You want to go where the others aren’t. In other words…you wouldn’t hold Dean Spirito or Josh up too much. ( sorry…..I just couldn’t resist)
Intermediate & Intermediate/Expert groups will have guides every day.

Chances are some of the Expert Groups will have a guide every day.

We will try our best go get a guide to every group every day but we may not have enough guides to accomplish that. Some of the upper level groups may need to be “self guided”. We have done this successfully in the past by mixing new comers to the areas with those who are familiar with the area they are skiing that day.

Thanks Everybody
See Y’all in March.

If you haven't signed up on the roll call thread HERE, please do so now.

Last edited:
TS
Uncle Louie

Uncle Louie

Skier
Mountain Collective Pass pick-up locations

SNOWBASIN - Bring a printout of your purchase confirmation or present the message with voucher barcode along with a photo ID to the Activities Desk in Earl’s Lodge at Snowbasin Resort. 2017-2018 passes can be picked up after November 1, 2017. If you would like to have your pass mailed directly to you before your trip, please email your request to [email protected]. Additional questions please call 1‑888‑437‑5488.

SNOWBIRD - Bring a printout of your purchase confirmation or present the message with voucher barcode and a photo ID to the Season Pass Office, or any ticket window. Anyone under 18 will need to be accompanied by a guardian (to sign a release form). Additional questions please call 1‑801‑933‑2200. 2017-2018 passes can be picked up starting November 21, 2017.

ALTA –Wildcat Base - Bring your purchase confirmation email and a photo ID to Skier Services, located at Wildcat Base, or to the ski school office at Albion Base. 2017-2018 passes can be picked up after November 9, 2017. Additional questions, please call 1‑801‑359‑1078.

Via e-mail from Mt Collective I received recently, you can now request your pass in advance and receive it in the mail in advance or you trip , but only for certain areas. See the MCP web site for info. Update- See post # 6 in this thread by dbostedo.

3/1/18 A few additional notes...............

All three areas are presently requesting attaching a credit card number to your MC Pass when they make the transaction with you. You can ski any extra days by going right to the lift and the ticket scanner at the lift triggers a charge to your card (after your 2nd or 3rd day). The drawback to NOT DOING THIS is that you have to go to a ticket window both the days we are at a given area to update your MC Pass for the day.

Snowbird MC Pass pick up points . You can go to any ticket window to get your MC Pass and there is one in the Cliff Lodge if any of you are staying there.

Snowbasin. The location of the customer service desk is to the left as you come through the main doors of Earls Lodge. The stairs to the bathrooms and the basket room as well as the Huntington Room are right next to the customer service desk.

Alta. The customer service desk is the best place to get your MC pass as there will probably be fewer lines there and they open at 8AM . You can also get your pass at the ticket windows and they open around 8:30.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Update It appears someone has anonymously stepped up and is renting the Huntington Room for our use on the first two days of The Gathering at Snowbasin. Details are being worked out today (12/22/2017) and we do not expect there to be any complications. This is a huge benefit to all of us that are attending the Snowbasin days. The room is private and seats in the neighborhood of 75. We can use it for booting up, storing our boot bags, lunch, as it's just steps off the food service area and end of the day drinks and socializing. Nothing like this has ever been done at a Gathering before. It's amazing.

Whoever you are, from all of us, THANK YOU
Thanks to AmyPJ for all her efforts on this

Uncle Louie

Last edited by a moderator:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would suggest setting up a lunch place and time each day for those who either get to the mountain late or get separated from their group during the morning. An après meeting place at the base would be a good idea as well.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Snowbasin is the only one of the three places that will mail you your MCP ahead of time. Note that the Mountain Collective website mentions emailing Snowbasin to request your pass, but after emailing with both Snowbasin and MC, that is not the correct way to do it.

Here's how to pre-request your pass.

1) Go to https://mountaincollective.com/
2) Click on "YOUR ACCOUNT"
3) Log in (if you haven't created an account with password yet, click "Sign up to create an account" near the bottom and create one)
4) When you log in you should be shown your recent order history, like this :

MCP1.JPG

5) Click on "Request your pass" and follow the instructions. You'll need to sign the waiver, upload a photo (requirements are much like any passport or ID - given on the page) and give your name, address, resorts, etc. You'll also need to give them your expected date of arrival at the resorts. This is, presumably, to help them prioritize which they process first, but it says that there is no effect on when you use the pass or requirement to hold to the date. (You could presumably just put Nov. 1st for all of them.)

Only the following resorts will pre-send your pass, and only for US and Canadian residents :

Sun Valley
Jackson Hole
Aspen-Snowmass
Snowbasin
Sunshine/Lake Louise
Sugarbush
Telluride
Mammoth
Squalpine

So we will all have to setup Alta and Snowbird passes (they're separate) when we get there.

Once you submit all the information required, you're done (there's no final "Submit" button or anything - just make sure you have check marks by all the requested info). You'll receive an email back eventually that confirms your submission has been accepted. It took 3 or 4 days for my email to arrive. I don't know when I'll get my pass but will update when I do. (I requested Sugarbush and Snowbasin... and put January 1st for Sugarbush as my arrival date since I don't know when I'll get there.)

EDIT : My Sugarbush pass arrived a few days ago, and my Snowbasin pass arrived today, 12/9/17.

Last edited:
TS
Uncle Louie

Uncle Louie

Skier
I would suggest setting up a lunch place and time each day for those who either get to the mountain late or get separated from their group during the morning. An après meeting place at the base would be a good idea as well.

I tried this a number of years ago at events I ran and it did not work. The numbers on the hill for this event are clearly going to be a new high. Trying to schedule everyone to arrive at lunch at the same time could put 60-70 people hitting the lunch tables at the same time. Not possible.

I'd say this gets handled on a group by group basis. Talk to your guide or others in the group the day before and come up with something. If you are late at least you'll know the lunch spot (but you still can spot groups on the hill you may fit with by the ribbons on the poles) I would hope the guides are skilled enough and paying attention enough to not lose people.

après is pretty much confined to Earl's at Snowbasin and I suspect Gold Miner's is the choice for Alta.

Who's got an idea for Snowbird ? It's March......Tram Deck ?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only been to two Gatherings (the last two) and I think having a lunch place picked worked out well at both of them. People didn't show up all at once, just naturally, and it gave folks a chance to perhaps hook up with someone they missed that morning. No one really tried that hard to be on time for lunch or all eat together or anything - that would be really difficult - but it was nice to sometimes see folks you weren't skiing with and see how their morning went. And some groups chose to eat somewhere else or at a different time altogether still.

So I'd still recommend we pick a place/time each day, just as a general chance to cross paths for the groups.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only been to two Gatherings (the last two) and I think having a lunch place picked worked out well at both of them. People didn't show up all at once, just naturally, and it gave folks a chance to perhaps hook up with someone they missed that morning. No one really tried that hard to be on time for lunch or all eat together or anything - that would be really difficult - but it was nice to sometimes see folks you weren't skiing with and see how their morning went. And some groups chose to eat somewhere else or at a different time altogether still.

So I'd still recommend we pick a place/time each day, just as a general chance to cross paths for the groups.
This will be my first Gathering. I like the lunch idea. As you said, it’s not written in stone. I’ve never been to any of the resorts so I’ve been studying trail maps and YouTube videos of different trails and chairs I expect to see.

I put myself in the intermediate/expert group. Nothing groomed gives me pause unless it’s really chopped up to the point of forming moguls and on a steep pitch. Not afraid of any powder I can wade out of. I’d like to have more time in powder before entering steeper treed terrain. I need more time in the bumps. My last three times out west produced no powder days short of a 4” drop at Mammoth one night between Christmas and New Years 2015 and a 10” drop of Sierra Cement a couple months later that wore me and my Souls out after only a few runs. Taos was thin and icy and wet at the bottom when I was there. Only a handful of lifts were even running. I left the Souls in the truck and carved up blues for the better part of the day on my Pursuits.

I’d really like to get into some soft snow bump runs and further my skills. I know it’s a must to take my skiing to the next level. My hope this season now that I’ve put the cancer behind me is to get a Masters race or two in and to get into some powder and bumps to advance my skill set. My season ended last year at the end of December with the diagnosis and then a February surgery. I’m short a spleen and a kidney and fortunate to be alive. (surgeon mistake cost me my spleen and my life. I was fortunate to be resuscitated). So I am very excited to get out to Utah and ski with a bunch of great people. Very happy to have a guide and have a bunch of people to share the fun and experience with.

I just dug the skiers edge out and will start hitting the gym after work. They cut me from my breastplate to just below my navel so I’ve got to rebuild my core. I intend to be in very good shape by March.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good luck with the recovery from surgery, PisteOff!

As for my level, is it possible to be between intermediate / expert and expert? ogsmile I spend most of my time on blacks but I need to pay attention in the bumps and trees, perhaps more attention than what that level might suggest and I'd hate to slow down the group. I skied Alf's High Rustler, High Nowhere, etc last year and I didn't just "get down them" but I didn't tear it up either. It was also in 15" of powder, which certainly helped me.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried this a number of years ago at events I ran and it did not work. The numbers on the hill for this event are clearly going to be a new high. Trying to schedule everyone to arrive at lunch at the same time could put 60-70 people hitting the lunch tables at the same time. Not possible.

I'd say this gets handled on a group by group basis. Talk to your guide or others in the group the day before and come up with something. If you are late at least you'll know the lunch spot (but you still can spot groups on the hill you may fit with by the ribbons on the poles) I would hope the guides are skilled enough and paying attention enough to not lose people.

après is pretty much confined to Earl's at Snowbasin and I suspect Gold Miner's is the choice for Alta.

Who's got an idea for Snowbird ? It's March......Tram Deck ?

Point taken. Ribbons are a great idea. Since Marcia and I are the ones that are usually late, I still like the idea of a backup plan, even if it is not set in stone...

I’d be happy to help brainstorm an idea for this. Maybe using social media for each group to post where/when they are taking a break so that stragglers can catch up.

And thanks UL for spearheading this info!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure about cellular service at these locations, but the WhatsApp group text can be a GREAT way to get out on the mountain alerts/notifications.

That is as long as ONLY “group leaders” text on the group. Certainly individual groups could have sub-group texts.

I am NOW stepping away from any further suggestions so I don’t get dragged into this thing :ogcool:

TS
Uncle Louie

Uncle Louie

Skier
Maybe using social media for each group to post where/when they are taking a break so that stragglers can catch up.
I already protected myself from you. I'm the proud owner of a flip phone without a text plan :P. (don't forget I owe you one story) See ya in the Spring

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I might be willing to stand in for the monkey and hold that pose a while.

OK... but only if you wear this :

Sock-Monkey-Ski-Helmet.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I already protected myself from you. I'm the proud owner of a flip phone without a text plan :P. (don't forget I owe you one story) See ya in the Spring

It IS a good question though... is anyone familiar enough to tell us how the cell reception is at the resorts, and whether or not the carrier matters?

I have found myself texting a few folks at these things, particularly to see if they're around for lunch, or to coordinate après.

Sponsor

Staff online