• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

North Korea and the Olympics

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
So how much money do you think the Olympic Committee and Samsung are going to give North Korea to chill out during the Olympics?

While I doubt NK is a legitimate nuclear war threat, there seems to be enough bluster to put quite a damper on the Games. And provocations like missile launches and bomb tests are a pretty good possibility.

What do you think will happen? Could he force a cancellation? If the situation was a notch or two higher I'd be second-guessing my travel plans.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just proud it looks as though the French will pull out before the Italians.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So how much money do you think the Olympic Committee and Samsung are going to give North Korea to chill out during the Olympics?

While I doubt NK is a legitimate nuclear war threat, there seems to be enough bluster to put quite a damper on the Games. And provocations like missile launches and bomb tests are a pretty good possibility.

What do you think will happen? Could he force a cancellation? If the situation was a notch or two higher I'd be second-guessing my travel plans.

I'm pretty sure that the global community sanctions prevent IOC from giving NK anything at all. China is the only nation on the planet currently sending aid or funds to NK. I guess the hopes are that Kim wants to compete so they won't ruin it.. Imagine what might happen if they lose at speed skating again and want to blame the officials for the loss?

Personally, I believe without a major development in diplomacy there we will see a change of venue or the events cancelled entirely. Where's Rodman when you need him??

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm pretty sure the IOC ain't giving them anything. They already got their bags'o'loot. South Korea and other sponsors? Yeah, maybe they'll be sending some gifts North. I don't think sanctions apply at the IOC level..maybe to the commoners..not the 0.1%'ers..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
ADMIN NOTE: Title changed to keep the level of talk on track. Please keep all discussion based on the Olympics. Other political discussion and references NOT Olympic related will be removed/deleted with no additional notice.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If Un is as much an athlete as his father was (who built a golf course and after shooting 18 holes in one on his 1st and only outing) he might compete as the entire men's team, and win all of the events.

If North Korea is cash strapped, why not 'go for the gold'?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm pretty sure that the global community sanctions prevent IOC from giving NK anything at all. China is the only nation on the planet currently sending aid or funds to NK. I guess the hopes are that Kim wants to compete so they won't ruin it.. Imagine what might happen if they lose at speed skating again and want to blame the officials for the loss?

Personally, I believe without a major development in diplomacy there we will see a change of venue or the events cancelled entirely. Where's Rodman when you need him??

Lots of evidence that Russia sent their rocket engines, money, etc... and have just opened up a ferry route. The rocket engines explain the overnight leap in capabilities pretty well. Anyhow...

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be surprised if Samsung (or any other global company) were to do this. IF they were found out it would land them on the denied parties lists and thousands of suppliers would be barred from shipping anything to them without a specific license. Many of those suppliers would just decide not to do business. Others would apply for a license but I would be surprised if that license were then granted. For reference, the 14 operating companies I work for run every single transaction through these lists and we are required to by law. Export violations land people in jail and companies with hefty fines. There are few things that scare me more in business than an accidental shipment to a denied party.

scott43

Skier
I would be surprised if Samsung (or any other global company) were to do this. IF they were found out it would land them on the denied parties lists and thousands of suppliers would be barred from shipping anything to them without a specific license. Many of those suppliers would just decide not to do business. Others would apply for a license but I would be surprised if that license were then granted. For reference, the 14 operating companies I work for run every single transaction through these lists and we are required to by law. Export violations land people in jail and companies with hefty fines. There are few things that scare me more in business than an accidental shipment to a denied party.
Without going too far down Phil's Bad Road, I think you are assuming other people are as honest as you.. Probably a bad assumption!! :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Without going too far down Phil's Bad Road, I think you are assuming other people are as honest as you.. Probably a bad assumption!! :)
Maybe they have been guaranteed a gold medal in figure skating :roflmao:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

scott43

Skier
Oh, I'm well aware of that case. I'm speaking of the suppliers who don't want to go to jail. I don't know anyone in my company who would allow a shipment to knowingly go to a denied party. If Samsung can't get what they need to make their products they are in a world of hurt.
All joking aside, I know people like us wouldn't do this kind of stuff. However, I believe sanctions only work to a certain extent..and there are elements that would have no problem bypassing these regulations, possibly with implicit acceptance by the sanctioners. We're just not privy to these things.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
AFAIK, the IOC does not pay bribes, just accepts bribes.:P