• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Ski for Me?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two seasons, thirty days total on the Nordica Navigator 85 @172cm. These skis are easy and have allowed me to build skills and boost confidence level. But now looking for the next thing. Something a little more responsive on firm snow, and bit more versatile in powder/chop/crud.

A unicorn I know, but I'm maintaining the stubborn desire for the mythical One Ski Quiver. A Daily Driver for western skiing - Arizona, Colorado, Utah. Typical season is 8-10 days so hard to justify multiple skis.

ME: 69 years old; 6' (183cm); 175 lbs (79kg). Reasonable fitness level - hike, ride a bike, walk and carry golf, yoga...
Skill level: 7th season since returning after a 25 year hiatus. I would characterize myself as an advancing intermediate. When conditions are less-than-ideal, I stay mostly on groom, but enjoy off groom with good conditions (soft snow/new snow). Let's call it 70/30 (?) I don't think I'm an aggressive skier, more finesse.

Thinking I should go a little longer, a little wider and a little more powerful, but wondering if that's a good idea to do all three at once?

I probably won't be considering boutique offerings, or Stockli's. Some research has led me to a few possibilities:

Fischer Ranger 90 @177?
Blizzard Rustler 9 @180?
Salomon QST 92 @176?
Atomic Maverick 88/94 @176?

These all fall toward to middle of the PugSki Power scale, the QST more to the left, the Maverick more to the right.

What say ya'll? Questions? Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Tom

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've got an inch and 10 pounds on you and just did a similar ski swap from an 84 mm width ski. I found the QST to not be enough ski for me. Very easy to turn in bumps and trees but very little edge hold and not good enough on the groomers to replace my current ski. Also did not really like on steeps. You might look at the Kore 93 in 177 too- I demoed that and really liked it everywhere I took it. That said, I don't think you can really go wrong with the Rustlers.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PXL_20240403_181643366.jpg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Yes???

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So... starting to think I should complement them with a frontside fun/sport carver...

e-Rally or e-Magnum ?
:beercheer:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So... starting to think I should complement them with a frontside fun/sport carver...

e-Rally or e-Magnum ?
:beercheer:
The rustler and the eRally make a nice pairing…
IMG_5536.jpeg

I use the eRallys on firm days when it hasn’t snowed in a while and the rustlers on anything fresh. I’ve never skied on the eMagnum but it looks to be a little less versatile, more carving oriented than the eRally.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got to try out the Rustlers yesterday at the Arizona Snowbowl in variable conditions: firm groomers, wind slab, softening afternoon snow, and full on mashed potato/slop. I was able to make different turns including long arcing carves, short and medium brush turns, some small moguls, and pushed-up afternoon lumps. They definitely feel more strong and stable underfoot plowing through choppy snow than the Navigators. I think these are going to work for me! Happy with my choice. Sad now to have to look at them sitting in the closet until next season :(

IMG_20240409_204435.jpg

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
The rustler and the eRally make a nice pairing…
View attachment 232244
I use the eRallys on firm days when it hasn’t snowed in a while and the rustlers on anything fresh. I’ve never skied on the eMagnum but it looks to be a little less versatile, more carving oriented than the eRally.

How do you like the eRallys at the end of the day when the groomed runs are cut up, and in bumps? I’m currently looking at adding a narrower ski for hardpack days but don’t want it to be strictly for groomed runs (yes, I know some ex racers ski SL skis in powder, I have zero interest in doing so). I’ve skied the eTitan and Volkl Kendo in 170 cmand have enjoyed them, but haven’t skied an eRally.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you like the eRallys at the end of the day when the groomed runs are cut up, and in bumps? I’m currently looking at adding a narrower ski for hardpack days but don’t want it to be strictly for groomed runs (yes, I know some ex racers ski SL skis in powder, I have zero interest in doing so). I’ve skied the eTitan and Volkl Kendo in 170 cmand have enjoyed them, but haven’t skied an eRally.
The only time I regretted being on the eRallys instead of the Rustlers was a day that had more fresh snow than I anticipated (I thought there’d be 3-5cm dusting on top of firm, wound up being 10cm+ of unusually heavy snow with wind making it even deeper in spots). On an ungroomed run with heavy ankle deep snow and bumps the eRallys felt sluggish and hooky, but otherwise still fine on the rest of the groomed and ungroomed that day.

Otherwise I ski them in bumps, end-of-day groomers, and anywhere else without any issues. They do want better technique than the Rustlers, though. I tend to spin my skis more when I’m tired and have less separation (old bad habits!) and that’s more noticeable to me on the eRallys than the Rustlers.

Sponsor