• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New skis after 15 years

SnowForest53

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello guys!
So, this year i went back to skiing after 15 years.
I used to ski 15 times per winter for 5-6 years when i was a kid.
This year, i rented equipment approximately 11-13 times.
Here is the thing. Renting is very expensive. I need my own skis.
The problem is, I dont know what to buy after such a long hiatus.
I would say i'm quite experienced, although i'm mostly self taught. I prefer steep red slopes and most black ones. I can ski fast, safely and comfortably, but i am far from expert, since my tehnique probably isn't good and i don't know how to carve (self taught). I do have a lot of experiences though.
I ski quite fast and sometimes i like to take quick turns, sometimes longer ones. I like speed, but i'm not suicidal. I do go faster than most skiers though, but not extremely fast.
So, i dont know which skis to buy. I can't afford renting anymore, as it is very expensive, if you ski more than few time per year. I haven't really paid much attention to gear i rented, although for the first few times
they gave some really bad begginers ski. As i asked for me, they give more advanced stuff.
Last time, they gave me skis that i really liked, Elan Primetime 55 plus.

The only weird thing is, that those skis are really really wide. I felt very comfortable skiing on them, they were really fast, i had great stability and i could make both fast and longer turns. I was very tired on them though after 5-6 hours of skiing. I used the 165 cm model, although Elan recomends 172 for me. My question is this: should i buy them and should i buy 172cm? I am 178cm tall and my weight is 82kg. I really like those skis and i can get a discount. Or is 172 too long?

Elan also offers primetime 55, which is much more narrower:

I'm afraid those are too advanced for me. Any opinions?
Ps: most of the skis are marketed as "carving skis". Is that ok for oldschool skiers who dont carve? Or should we buy some other type of skis?
Thanks for all replies!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
If you don't (want to) carve at all, consider skis with less sidecut, i.e. a longer radius. Völkl Racetiger RC UVO perhaps, in 175. Very nice ski, especially for old-school skiers (that may want to become new-school in the future, with some private lessons).
Make sure you get the 2020, 2021, 2022 or 2023 ones, with the UVO thing on the forebody of the ski. This year's model is quite different and not as nice and smooth, in my opinion.

Review is in Dutch, but Google Translate will help.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
I am the same height as you and usually buy the size three sizes down so that would be the 165 in this case. I would not size up and 74 is not too wide. Don't buy a ski you haven't skied unless you are willing to move on quickly from it. I buy new skis every year and end up quickly selling half the skis I was unable to demo as they just don't work out. I demoed four skis this winter and only liked one enough to buy.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you unbuckle after every run?
Can you explain that more? Not sure what that has to do with anything here.

The only weird thing is, that those skis are really really wide.
What do you mean by "wide"? Those are 72mm at the waist, which I didn't think was very wide, even for Europe. Perhaps you're referring to the size of the tips and tails?

Also... have you been renting boots too? If so, you need to start there, and not worry about skis yet.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
No. You are supposed to be up to date with the latest trends here mister… :roflmao:
Don't listen to him. He didn't answer your question so he doesn't count.

I suspect he meant that with your experience skiing the most challenging runs is a bit much. People with really tight boots sometimes unbuckle them at the end of each run to give their feet a break as they ride the chair. People like that are (in his eyes) the real experts.

I figure you should ski what you want to ski and to hell with everyone else. Get good fitting boots first, though. They make the most difference.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No. You are supposed to be up to date with the latest trends here mister… :roflmao:
I am up to date, but there are different interpretations of what you said. You should also take into account that we have a new user here to SkiTalk, who is unlikely to know what you're referring to.

Thanks, @Posaune, for explaining more. FWIW, there are tons of aggressive and/or expert skiers that don't unbuckle their boots during the day.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am up to date, but there are different interpretations of what you said. You should also take into account that we have a new user here to SkiTalk, who is unlikely to know what you're referring to.

1711394380857.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online