• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Floor was covered in gray epoxy paint. In the areas of the with benches I had a heavy runner flooring. Same as my son's ski academy had in the weight room.

How did the rubber flooring clean up from wax drippings?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
How did the rubber flooring clean up from wax drippings?

Not terribly well. I has things set up so we normally used one bench for tuning....no waxing.

We used another, a bigger built in bench {over a hot box} for waxing. That one was designed to minimize dripping on the floor, but it wasn't perfect. So we had a few permanent spots where we'd literally scrape the wax off the rubber and vac every now and then.

The rubber flooring also had a lot of cork in it. About 3/4" thick. Weighed a ton. As mentioned, used in serious weight rooms.
Incredibly good to stand on.

But yes....it would suck up wax.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow is coming but the shop isn't done. :(

20171024_215958.jpg 20171024_220008.jpg 20171024_220025.jpg

Mudding is happening this week, slowly.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
One thing I thought of is if you are combining the ski shop and wood working shop, you need a way to control all the saw dust too. I tend to go back and forth between projects and I sometimes put off doing a wood working project because I know I'll have to clean up a mess before I can get back to working skis

Something to think about.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I thought of is if you are combining the ski shop and wood working shop, you need a way to control all the saw dust too. I tend to go back and forth between projects and I sometimes put off doing a wood working project because I know I'll have to clean up a mess before I can get back to working skis

Something to think about.
I closed off the room so I have to use the doors to go back and forth. I can wall space to hang stuff and makes it easier to keep dust out.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
I built a dust cyclone out of a couple of old 5 gal pails I had kicking around which hooks to my shop-vac and sanders to collect most fines, I also use this for general clean up and to preserve the vacuum.

Next was a air to air dust extractor and this came about with three furnace filters and an old oscillating fan that I destroyed, wired to the fastest speed, and boxed up. I don't know what it puts out, or how many air changes it goes through per hour, but when I hand sand I sure notice a difference.

Lastly for dust/dirt, I built a bin that I slide a 30 gal bucket into for my planer shavings. I have a DW 735 with a built in blower and she pounds out the cuttings, so a boxed in bucket with a screen was a must - now I capture about 90% of the shavings and use those going forward for smoking, and for making fire starters.

The shop floor is pretty clean. We store a few camping related items in there as well, and my last look only saw a bit of dust on them, likely from hand sanding and because I didn't run the fan long enough. You'll never get 100% anyway.

I also try to work with the door open as much as possible, but this isn't an option when transitioning from final sand to first finish, or sanding between finishes. Or when it's minus 20!

My shop is a hobby one and I primarily build one off live edge slab style bookshelves with black iron pipe as risers. I also build benches and small tables from re purposed wood when I can find it.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
I should add:

Thanks for the ideas about lighting. Upgrading mine is a part of having just turned 40, and the nights being longer - winter project! Never, ever, enough lighting.

My electrical is somewhat modular: extension cord to my rolling work table (4x8) with a power bar mounted either end. The table doubles as an outfeed for my saw so I don't have to call for help when running plywood.

Storage is a mix of under bench and pegboard for now. Eventually, when I get my 10x20 shed on the property and can store the EES and rough lumber out there, I will get a rolling tool cabinet, because I agree: never enough storage!

For sounds: I typically either use my bluetooth earbuds under muffs when bouncing around, or a small portable speaker system when I am hand sanding.

For refreshments: craft beer fridge which I plan to install a pipe riser and edge glued plywood top on, hilti gunned to the floor. I also have a great black iron pipe and slab maple apparatus for the dispensation of craft gin.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For refreshments: craft beer fridge which I plan to install a pipe riser and edge glued plywood top on, hilti gunned to the floor. I also have a great black iron pipe and slab maple apparatus for the dispensation of craft gin.
:useless:

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Indeed.

I'm offshore working, so no real access to my photos. But did find this on Pinterest, just think black finish:

f9afa7423581eeb658045cee1a8b82da--alcohol-dispenser-whisky.jpg

For the bar top, something similar to this, with birch ply:

43ebb67fb10701130b75cc627c6518d2--plywood-countertop-old-campers.jpg

I am totally stealing the bar idea from a craft beer joint in Halifax. Seeing is believing and that bar top could withstand a low yield nuclear strike. Besides, it's plywood. If you ding or chip it then just fill it in and carry on!

I also work with a blacksmith I met offshore who quit the racket and works hammering full time now, he and I are going to collaborate on some maple/metal configurations. Live edge stuff is what I like best, the more local the better, the gnarlier the better.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Round 2, probably will be done in maple.
20171207_214807.jpg

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Almost same dimensions as the hangeright

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Great thread guys!!! Lots of good ideas there. My basement was flooded 9 years ago in the storm of the century. It was an INCREDIBLE finished basement with an awesome workshop. All of it was destroyed and crew that came in to do the cleanup and mold mitigation did a shitty job. Seriously. A shitty job. So, until a few years ago, we just kept piling all kinds of crap up in those rooms. Well, over the past few years I've been working on making over the room into a sweet ski room. It will never have a finished look and would need to have a professional completely tear everything down. But for a down and dirty ski room, it's pretty awesome. I'll take some photos tonight and upload them to the site. And while I'm at it, I'll take photos of the stuff I'm trying to sell since I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bill

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There be some familiar looking skis there.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Looks great.

I’m not going to build out a space till I see if the boys get competitive. If that happens all bets are off, it will be time to build another out-building behind the garage for skis & bikes.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January