• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a 11'x26' room and a 12'x12' room that are connected that will be a basement workshop area. Originally was going to use the bigger room for ski prep and garage for woodworking. I've been convinced to use both rooms. Walls are bare so I have clean slate to work with. One side of wall is concrete wall, the rest studded.

Use:
1. Ski prep area and storage
2. woodworking, project area.

So if you could design your shop, what would you add or not have?

Dwight

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have 220V or 3-Phase?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Effective, active ventilation.

A stone grinder.

Fridge.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I converted a one and a half car garage into a ski tuning and store room that we completely built out in rough cut pine.

A lot of design thought went into it. Works very well.

Yes, I had a commercial bathroom fan that was out ventilator. Also respirators if needed. I had more electrical outlets in the space that the electrician had ever seen. Including the ceiling. Very good lighting. And moveable lighting at the work areas.

Had one permanent bench built over a big hot box. Also had two Holmekoll tables set up.

Floor was covered in gray epoxy paint. In the areas of the with benches I had a heavy runner flooring. Same as my son's ski academy had in the weight room.

Dri-tech plastic flooring grids in various places to drain water under.

Two LeMond spin bikes. Fridge. Music. Flat screen TV. Couches.

One wall with shelves built to house plastic storage bins. One closet for extra tools. Two others for poles, some skis, ski bags.

At one point during a race series we had 150+ pairs of skis in there. All of the bags folded and piled on one corner. At. My one point in time at least 40 pairs leaning up again walls.

When we were not overflowing with people we had a boot dryer in there. Otherwise moved to our mud room.

Header with a gas Rinnai heater. We insulated it well when we built it out.

It took me about two months to think through and walk through exactly how I wanted this to work and look. The two contractors. Ski Coaches, their helper. USST athlete. Came out well.

For once I wish Epic Ski were ski up, as there was a thread on it, with a lot of pics. One I recall was "Wow. That looks like a F1 garage. Clean, everything you need, where you need it. No clutter"

No stone grinder! But at least one Trione at all times.

I got carried away with this, but my wife and kids agreed that it really made the house work during their ski racing years....then they moved over 2000 miles west after college!

I'll see if I can find some pictures.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Room 1
20170828_185931.jpg

Room 2
20170828_185952.jpg

@Doug Briggs Fridge is just outside the rooms. :)
20170828_190015.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Someone is is going to need some some posters....just saying.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
I would like to have an entire wall of slatboard and also one of those adjustable lights like you see in a dentist's office (that are mounted to the ceiling).

I have to say I'm envious of your setup, if you replace that pole near the bar with a brass one, I'm not sure why you'd ever want to leave (except for skiing of course).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Lighting is certainly important. I thought a 4' flourescent would suffice but was mistaken, so I added a couple task lights to my setup. I removed the regular base, drilled holes to fit the post that previously fit into the base and mounted them directly to the bench. I don't recall exactly why I removed the bases but they work really well. Maybe it was that the base couldn't grip the 1/2" plywood? Additionally, I can swing them over a repair to help dry it in anticipation of working on it as well as warm the adhesive after application. They are incandescent (where my old bulbs go after replacement with flos or LEDs) so generate moderate heat.

20170830_143610_Huckleberry Grn.jpg

Music is also a key feature for my bench as can be seen in the photo above.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I use a power strip just under the bench's front edge. There are two two outlet jacks above the table, too.

The iron cord runs nicely and smoothly along the tray and I rarely if if get the cord caught anymore. And I don't drop crud from the cord onto the ski since it hangs down out of the way. I've got to say the tray in front of the bench is the bestest feature of my bench for cleanliness and ease of use. ;-)

20170830_173713_Wolff Lyon Road.jpg

20170830_173652_Wolff Lyon Road.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lot's of great thoughts already. You can't have too much light or too much power. Go crazy on dust collection. Oversize the system and take extra time to completely seal it from leaks. Also set up an air compressor and plumb it along side the dust collection. Set it up by station. Each station has a blast gate, a four-outlet 110v power, and compressed air. House the DC and compressor in another area or build a closet for them. Also, some sort of room air filtration or exhaust fan.

Instead of fluorescent lights, use the LED light tubes. Price is a bit higher, but they put out a ton of light. Put in one or two more fixtures than you think you need, and then task lighting.

Find something soft to stand on that's easy to clean. In the ski area where you are going to be doing a lot of mind numbing work an iPad RAM mount on the wall is nice.

TriOnes are OK for amateurs I guess, but anyone who is serious about keeping their skis properly tuned has a Wintersteiger Race NC and Trimjet 2 Race. @Doug Briggs gets a pass because that Montana is pretty sweet too.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
TriOnes are OK for amateurs I guess, but anyone who is serious about keeping their skis properly tuned has a Wintersteiger Race NC and Trimjet 2 Race. [B]@Doug Briggs[/B] gets a pass because that Montana is pretty sweet too.

Whaaaa!? I have Wintersteiger in the shop I work at. Never used Montana. Ours aren't race specific, although we may be upgrading soon.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I skimmed through the threads so forgive me if I'm repeating something.

My shop is in my unfinished basement and is also a gym, workshop and ski tuning storage.

Lighting - I go these in my basement https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ENR1IE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
they are fantastic. You can daisy chain them and can connect to existing ceiling fixtures by installing a socket to plug adapter. At night, you can see my basement from space. I'm also a believer in task lighting but that probably has more to do with me being in my late 50s.

Wax management - Plan this into the layout. The hot wax drippings and the scrapings. I have the kitchen counters we replaced a couple years back. They work great because Formica is easy to clean and when the dripped wax becomes to much, a scraper takes it off quickly. You'll also want a way to sweep/brush the wax shavings into the trash easily. When I'm hot scraping I just put the trash can at the tail of the ski and anything that goes onto the bench is swept in. I remember reading a post on epic about someone making a bench with a whole in the center and a can underneath.

Electrical
- Depending on what you need the power for, this doesn't need to be elaborate. A power strip is usually plenty. Some like them on the bench, over the bench or under the bench. It's a preference more than anything. Mine is on the bench but I run the cord of the iron overhead because I don't want the cord dragging along the ski edge. You don't usually have to have too many things plugged in at once. Along with the iron, I have battery chargers and task lights. Depending on your intestinal fortitude will depend on how far the beer fridge is from you. Fortunately for me, I like Stouts and Porters and room temperature works great.

Music/TV - I prefer to just listen to music over watching TV (too distracting). Every now and again I want to try something that requires me to watch a youtube video and I just use my iPad for that. If the music isn't close to you, at least have a remote control close by. This way when my wife calls down to me, I can turn it down instead of yelling "What?" a couple times and pissing her off.

Ski Storage - You don't want it too far away so you can glance at them and know what you have to so. I bought ladder hangers from HD and with the (set of two) hanging from the ceiling I can get 4 pairs of skis easily stored on one set. If you put them on their side you might be able to get more. Since I'm normal size (5'7"), this works well but if you're a mutant, this might not work for you.

Work in Process Storage - You'll also want a safe location for the skis you just put wax on. I use the same set up as ski storage but know that when they have been waxed and are curing, you can't get as many. I also have an adjustable shelf bracket mounted with 14" shelf holders that I use for over flow. Do not store these over your work area of you'll find out how hot the wax actually is.

Tool Storage - However much area you think you need, triple it. I'm a bit of a tool gear whore and have tools that I've never used but have them just in case. I by when there is a good deal instead of when there is a dire need. Files, stones, brushes, roto brushes, side edge guides, base edge guide, sidewall planers etc. You want your go to tools handy (within your reach) and the rest close by but organized. Preferable without opening a drawer or cabinet.

Wax - Same as the tools. I have a bin for different types; base prep, general, race, etc. I think I have 4 or 5 bins and most have two different types in them (new and old - I use Dominator). I also keep some cheap stuff off to the side for people that ask me to tune their skis that don't really care about it so much. I do the same with some of my tools as well. I'm not going to use an expensive file on your rusty skis even if you are my son-in-law. Love hurts.

I've also found that by tuning friends skis here and there, keeps my wife from figuring out I bought new skis ogwink

Have fun,
Ken

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@L&AirC thanks for the comments. I like the lights.

My current ski bench covers most my needs. Formica top, two power strips, drawers, but will be adding more. I will probably have some type of rubber flooring for the whole shop. Need to see what is easiest to clean.

With the temps starting to drop, I probably should get going on the design and purchasing. :)

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Ski season getting close, so I needed to get busy.

And left a little time capsule inside wall.

20171015_113324.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online