• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nastar Nationals--New Rules?

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
There are "new rules" on qualifying for nationals. How do these differ from the "old rules"?

https://www.nastar.com/national-championships

There is a new process for determining divisions for the Liberty Mutual Insurance NASTAR National Championships. The criteria has changed to more accurately place participants in the correct division based on their ability: Platinum Division, Gold Division, Silver Division and Bronze Division within each age and gender group.

Liberty Mutual Insurance NASTAR National Championship participants will be placed in a division based on results within their race profile. The first option listed below that fits a participant's race profile will place them in their division:

1. Final average handicap from the 2017 NASTAR National Championships
  2. Best handicap from a 2018 NASTAR Regional Championship event
  3. NASTAR National ranking handicap from the 2017-18 season (3 race days needed)
  4. The best handicap and medal earned by March 13th, 2018 will place participants in their division (Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze)

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
There are "new rules" on qualifying for nationals. How do these differ from the "old rules"?

https://www.nastar.com/national-championships

1. Final average handicap from the 2017 NASTAR National Championships
  2. Best handicap from a 2018 NASTAR Regional Championship event
  3. NASTAR National ranking handicap from the 2017-18 season (3 race days needed)
  4. The best handicap and medal earned by March 13th, 2018 will place participants in their division (Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze)
The list above is the rank of order in determining the division in which the racer will compete. The main difference is the addition of the qualifying factor #1, Final average handicap from the 2017 NASTAR National Championships. If you did not compete in the 2017 Championships then this is a non-factor. NASTAR is trying to re-align the competitors more accurately. For instance; I raced in the Men 60-64 Gold division this year. In this group of 9 racers, only the top two finished with Gold level handicaps for the two day event. The bottom seven will now be classified as Silver division racers for the 2018 Championships. The same was true in the Platinum division. 5 out 7 racers will be now classified as Gold level competitors.

However, NASTAR will allow racers the option to move up a level. Since I skied very defensively on the first run and had a really crappy run/time, if I decide to compete in 2018 I will exercise this option and remain in the Gold division instead of competing at the Silver level.

Karl

Sponsor