• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Guess I was lead to the more expensive area of Banff last fall. But then Monod's didn't have anything out yet.

Hehe - I figured that if Vail and Beaver Creek have thrift Stores, Banff probably did. Turns out - the people working the resort have to buy gear somewhere...

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I really like my Arc'Teryx Proton mid-layer. I've worn it on everything to lift served days in negative temperatures to touring in 40 degree temps. Also works great alone if there is no precipitation/wind. Super expensive because Arc'Teryx but I and a friend were able to find 50% off sales on last years at separate local shops, might be worth a look. There is also the atom which is a little lighter/more ventilated.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a North Face Thermoball and I much prefer that on not-too-cold days as well. And it dries out fast during lunch in case I get sweaty.

I second North Face Thermoball, have been wearing mine for 3 seasons, and have zero complaints. I wear it almost everyday I ski, unless it’s super cold and I wear a down jacket instead.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just bought a black shell by Sherpa and I need some good mid layer suggestions.

Non fleece/non cotton materials.

What are some good ones and if anyone has anything for sale that would be fabulous too :) XL is my size.

Can a mod fix my heading. I typed reed instead of need. Thanks.

Arcteryx Atom LT. You can find them online for much less than retail. Thank me later!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That looks fabulous. Thank you. I've gotten pretty good at going ok it's x temperature I need x jacket. However, having a shell is a new animal to me.

Think about it in a similar way...now you have it’s “x” temperature, I need my “x” mid layer and shell. Or it’s “y” temp, I need my “y” mid layer and shell. Or it’s “z” temp...super warm...I need no mid-layer, just my shell.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you do with a hood on a mid layer? Doesn't it just get in the way?

Most mid layer hoods are relatively soft. Usually no issue with interference with the hood of the outer shell.
Get a mid layer with a contrasting color. Good for style points.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
What do you do with a hood on a mid layer? Doesn't it just get in the way? I've never seen anyone wearing on their head...
Stolen Pro tip: it's a great place to store your SkiTrax while you are skiing. Seriously! They stay in there. 2 years so far, and I have never lost one.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
In 40 years I have used my hood skiing maybe 3 times. The rest of the time it just gets in the way. Thinking about having it removed. I have a sweatshirt with a hood that I never wear when its cold because of the draft on my neck. I'll stick with collars!

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In 40 years I have used my hood skiing maybe 3 times. The rest of the time it just gets in the way. Thinking about having it removed. I have a sweatshirt with a hood that I never wear when its cold because of the draft on my neck. I'll stick with collars!

The mid layers I use most frequently (Patagonia R1 and R3) both have hoods and both are useful.

If it’s really cold, and I’m skiing in one of these, I often put the hood on. The hoods are designed to fit under the helmet and are shaped almost like a balaclava to cover a significant amount of the face when worn. If I’m not wearing the hoods, they’re not so bulky that they get in the way of anything.

I guess if you have a regular hoody that isn’t designed for skiing, maybe the hood would get in the way.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What do you do with a hood on a mid layer? Doesn't it just get in the way? I've never seen anyone wearing on their head...
Wasn't there a thread here not long ago about the hoods on the mid layer? Many of the replies said it was not an issue. The hood on the mid layer I suggested looks like very thin material that seems like it could fit under the helmet and rolls into the collar of the garment if needed.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That's great to know. I've got eBay searches set up for all the mid layers people suggested. I'm bringing my purple obermeyer jacket with me to banff along with my new shell so hoping to test it out over the course of the next week. I'll borrow my friend's mid layer and see how they work together.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This. Can wear it as a mid layer from 0 to 30 degrees comfortably. Most versatile piece of gear I own.

I have had mine for years (both the LT and SV hoody). They still look like new and honestly havent found anything that can replace it (or the need to). I chose the hoody versions because I use them on their own during the warmer months.

Max Anderson

Booting up
Skier
I have been skiing in a Arc'Teryx Atom LT hoody as my mid-layer and it's the best I've come across. I don't think it breathes quite as well as a Nano-puff, but the Polar Tec side panels make it supremely comfortable. I'm not really 'spendy' when it comes to my clothing. I pair it with a Mammut shell and it's been a killer combo. In fact, it has replaced my H/H Motion (insulated) as my 'go to'. I hate paying full-price for anything but got a $100 REI gift card so it took some of the sting away.

Sponsor