• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Morning sickness - in NEW vehicles

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
According to my mechanic the hardest thing on an engine is a cold start. So instead of waiting for brutal frigid temps to plug in, he recommends plugging in the block heater as soon as temps go below freezing. I use a timer as a few hours of heat is all that is needed.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
According to my mechanic the hardest thing on an engine is a cold start. So instead of waiting for brutal frigid temps to plug in, he recommends plugging in the block heater as soon as temps go below freezing. I use a timer as a few hours of heat is all that is needed.
Totally...bigger tolerances..more fuel..thick oil..poor oil return..

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I haven't had any issues with the Alltrack. And I never had any issues with the Audi. Normally my car is garaged, but does sit in the ski area parking lot a few hours in Montana winter time. Maybe it stays warm because of all the cars around it? BUT, the rest of the family owns cars that are never garaged and I don't recall ever having heard them mention anything, either. Frankly, I'd expect and not even remember a roughness in the first 30 seconds. Maybe since I live on a dirt road the car doesn't really get pushed until it is ready. And both my commutes (to/from the ski area) start with going down for a number of miles.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Will a block heater free up steering? Seriously - that is the biggest annoyance right now. I'd prefer a solution that didn't require plug-in - it's fine at the house but there is nowhere for when it's parked at the condo.

I don't mind idling until the oil flows well, and it's easy to tell when the fuel isn't gel because the range readout adds ~40 miles after the warm fuel gets back from the injector rail.

But, seriously, stiff steering even 45 minutes into driving is NOT on, especially with less than 3K on the odo.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Will a block heater free up steering? Seriously - that is the biggest annoyance right now. I'd prefer a solution that didn't require plug-in - it's fine at the house but there is nowhere for when it's parked at the condo.

I don't mind idling until the oil flows well, and it's easy to tell when the fuel isn't gel because the range readout adds ~40 miles after the warm fuel gets back from the injector rail.

But, seriously, stiff steering even 45 minutes into driving is NOT on, especially with less than 3K on the odo.

I'd take it to the dealer and get it checked out.. could be the pressure bypass valve is sticking open in the pump.. might be a faulty valve.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

That's a definite take it back level problem. Even if it clears up after a few minutes it is likely a symptom of a larger problem.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I thought this thread was going to be about nausea in the first trimester...

Yeh, that's where the name came from - back when we applied it to late-80s and early-90s GM vehicles with ~100K on the odo.

Electric steering assist?

Yup. I'm betting that the dealership's suggested solution will be "software update". *sigh*

It was fine in Ont. and NY and Vt. and Maine - now it decides to get silly when the lowest we've seen down here is like 5F.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Odd, at least three of us have asked what kind of car.......

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tuna probably guesses that talking about the specific make and model is a rat hole that will doom the core topic to morbidity.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tuna probably guesses that talking about the specific make and model is a rat hole that will doom the core topic to morbidity.

and I wanted to give the dealership a chance to respond...apparently I am not the only one getting a software upgrade at these temps. :cool:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was driving a car with electric steering assist and you could adjust the "sportiness" of the steering. Basically it just made it harder to turn the wheel, no change in feedback (less if anything) and I felt it was a bit gimmicky. I can easily see the steering getting tight because of the weather and the "sportiness" becoming a PITA as far as regular driving goes. Unintentional racy feel...

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was driving a car with electric steering assist and you could adjust the "sportiness" of the steering.

Other models in the lineup have that, this one doesn't (unless they've coded it into the transmission mode selector).

Basically it just made it harder to turn the wheel, no change in feedback (less if anything) and I felt it was a bit gimmicky. I can easily see the steering getting tight because of the weather and the "sportiness" becoming a PITA as far as regular driving goes. Unintentional racy feel...

Err..yeh...'racy'. :roflmao:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, just picked it up. The engine still takes a bit of warming up - completely expected. The steering is - can't tell yet as it hasn't had a chance to go all stiff and rigid. I guess we'll know by tomorrow am.

For the continually curious, it's a Jeep Renegade (Trailhawk).

Sponsor

Staff online