• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing is going to happen before the Olympics. You simply don't change in the midst of such success and with so much just around the corner.....

Of course not - and I didn't think anybody was suggesting a brand change during the season. It just doesn't happen, both for practical and political purposes.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
So, I have a 4-1/2 hour drive. At the start, googling shiffrin news, no word, except that start is delayed. 1-1/2 hour into the drive, still no news, what the heck. So, I go to FIS results. She's in the lead, but no podium place announcements. Then I notice that a whole lot of athletes have raced already, can it be that she won? Holy cow! An hour later, pull over again, and Reuters has published the results. Amazing. And, the suspense!

Download the FIS app.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Well, after 2 podiums in the DH in only 2 days, she most likely will NOT race in any more DHs this season in order to focus on the technical events. Also, it appears that racing 5 events at the Olympics is not her priority either although she has not totally ruled it out.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Stockli does not have a boot company. Correct. Nor do they have a binding. Over the years, their athletes have used a variety of bindings and plates. @Rudi Riet's got it straight. And post Maze, they are not paying much athlete compensation at all. I agree that Rebensberg MAY be able to earn decent money, most likely in bonuses. Quite certain that Stuhec's deal was set up that way, and it surely was NOT redone after last season. Keep in mind that the deal was made BEFORE she exploded last year. She was a solid skier at best. Stockli sells so few skis world wide{great skis} that they really can't play at the top levels...in terms of contracts. I bet the Maze years were financially big hits.

If Stuhec was healthy and tearing it up this season, Stockli might have a hard time keeping her after this season. Just a hunch. But coming off injury and surgery does not help your negotiating position.

The way it will work is one company. Unless Rossi finds the money to play, and she prefers the blue compound in the boots they build her to the white. Some do, and I'm not sure that Rossi would care much about that one. I hear that Rossi might not be playing, when this actually takes place.

It is a LONG way off. No use worrying about this. NO CHANGES until AFTER the season.

She has the "power" to get a lot of money. Splitting it up is not going to benefit her. The industry is not playing that way.

It might be "better". It's just not how it works. She could end up in a very different boot than that of the company that signs her or re-signs.....but we are going to have a hard time determining it.

And frankly does it make ONE BIT OF A DIFFERENCE TO ANY OF US? Really?

Just saying. IF, big IF, she makes a change, it's going to be a short list of possible companies.

And this is not going on now, is not going to clog any heads on her team....most of all hers.
She's had a long, long relationship with Atomic. She might stay right there. She is not thinking about this. Her coaches are not.

There is a lot more to work on and think about that this right now. Non factor.

Nobody posting on the net, NOBODY, knows more about this, in terms of boot "issues" than the people paid to deal with it. I'm comfortable with that.

The Golden Goose named Bode left Atomic for a huge payday, and a lot of assurances that Head made and Atomic would not. Custom everything, multiple techs, basically zero budget constraints. Bode sort of drove a lot of people at Head crazy. Very demanding.

The long ongoing search to regain his SL skiing was legendary. Skis after skis after skis.

I have always been lead to believe that Eliasch, the Head CEO, was going to outbid Atomic, no matter what. Atomic probably delighted in driving the price up.

I'm out on this equipment topic until April. No sense in even discussing it, IMO.

No doubt plenty of folks will continue to post about her boot issues. Maybe. If she has any?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of speculation, it's of course all fun but we won't have any sense until season is over/winding down.
As posted only a small list of companies are able to write the cheque likely required.....however we also do not know how deep the Atomic relationship is....very possible she asks Hirscher money + x and is done with it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Speaking about equipment. Did you hear Hirscher mention he used a ski today he hadn't raced on? He said he had just freeskied it.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The olympic hill is a ”gentle” one. Will be interesting to she what the Shiffrin crew decides on speed.
What a weekend! Great races in BC too and the r30s — much nicer skiing from the men.

Muleski

Inactive

Just a kind FYI, but the link was posted here a few weeks ago, on this thread, and triggered quite a bit of discussion. As did the article in Outside, and as will every single article that we'll see everywhere over the next six weeks, IMO. All variations on the same theme, all to be taken with a decent sized grain of salt.

My hope is that she can stay healthy, ski with a clear head, and do well throughout the season, and in Korea. I suspect that there is a lot of pressure, and a number of "cooks in the kitchen" right now.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought it looked familiar. I guess I read so much that a second look is like the first time

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Finally caught up with viewing this weeks races. In about a months time Shiffrin has victories in SL, GS, Parallel & DH. Too bad the recent combined was cancelled. Hope she can get a SG win this year without jeopardizing anything else but that may be as Bode would say “a big ask”.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well...
Another in the City Event in Oslo, Norway.
Sort of bizarre races.
And Dave Ryding! Oy vey! close, but wiped out.

Muleski

Inactive
I think the City Events, to be honest, sort of depend on the city and the crowd....and having a decent set. Fans like it. Oslo, Stockholm are fun venues.

No surprise here, huh? If it's smallish turns, everybody else seems to skiing for second right now. MS may be gearing up to peak in about six weeks. How scary is that thought. Like she could get more dialed in, more focused, and "better."

The guys, aka the real SL skiers, IMO don't love this so much, I hear. The Swedes and Germans do. Clearly not Hirscher's favorite. Ryding made it to the round of eight, which was good for him. I think that's about where he's stacking up in the field, thus far. Would love to see him pull it all together, for two great runs, in Korea. That would be so much fun. The Union Jack flying, God Save the Queen, etc. Would love to see that Olympic moment. Stranger things have happened.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
I really like the drama of the city events but would like to see a longer course with a more difficult set ... which is pretty tough to do in a city. It's why I generally prefer the "non-city" parallel events (though they're a bit too short and straight as well), including the qualification approach. My family certainly likes the head to head aspect, the excitement, and the instant gratification of the bracket format.

Shiffrin on autopilot is better than 95% of the field, then she just dials it up when needed.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ryding made it to the round of eight, which was good for him. I think that's about where he's stacking up in the field, thus far. Would love to see him pull it all together, for two great runs, in Korea. That would be so much fun. The Union Jack flying, God Save the Queen, etc. Would lo
Ryding looked very good. Once he dnf'd it was almost over, getting a 0.5 sec delay for the next run. He did reduce it, losing by only 0.1 as I recall. The nice thing about the side by side is you're not automatically out if you don't finish one run.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I really like the duals & a few events like this per season just adds to the diversity & appeal of World Cup!

As someone who has set probably hundreds of side by side courses I will say that too much offset in a course just doesn't hold up well for the amount of runs it takes to complete a race. Even though I am a fan of turny courses, in the dual format you are bound to get a hole or ugly rut in one of the courses slowing it down significantly enough to take some of the fun & excitement out of it. Keeping the two courses somewhat equal over longer distances is also a challenge but can work on the right hill.

My idea, instead of SL & GS would be to have a hybrid of the two with their own skis & specs. Maybe 30-40 gates set at 18-20 meters vertical distance with skis of a similar radius.

Last edited:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t like the dual format , seems like I’m going to miss something subtle and a lot of times those moves are the most “ WOW “ moves.

Sponsor

Staff online