• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
She's a pro, no doubt. After listening to the Piste Off podcast and the NBC broadcasts with anyone other than Porino and Bode... it's good to find an articulate representative for skiing.

I did catch some of the Freestyle and snowboarding too. Geez kids spend so much time on their phones I don't think many are verbal yet.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah AMA is a bit of a fib - basically ask me anything and I'll answer blandly or ignore any difficult or provocative question. Even the question on musical tastes seem to be a calculated effort not to offend anyone with a committal answer.

Mike Powell's podcasts are far more interesting - would love to hear Mancuso open up when she finally officially retires. Unfortunately because racing is much more "business" than the life of the non-race pro he doesnt really seem to have got much access to racers.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
He does seem a bit awkward -- but I don't see "skin crawling". Funny interchange at 2:44, though.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is her well-spoken personable interview with the skin-crawling Seth Meyers, who obviously likes her but just totally blows it:

I'm a little surprised she didn't mention how lucky she was to get her picture taken with @Philpug
948644_10151614979636138_1031389472_o.jpg

She's on Late Night with Seth Myers tonight, BTW. Mom, I presume, will be backstage. Bet on MS killing it!
I wish I could nap like that. Maybe I would ski better. :D

It was interesting to read the comments on the youtube page.

"holy nuts. that woman is breathtaking."

"You can tell that she's so pretty that Seth is uncomfortable, look at his hands"

"awwwwww she's just the best happy to see a late night interview of hers, I don't understand why this only has 600 views, the world of skiing gets no credit, love you Michaela you're an inspiration."

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My how she has grown...yest I have not aged a day. :cool:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You should see her twitter feed. It's post after post about how happy she was to finally meet the world famous Gaper Boy!:duck:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Did you tell her we finally skied together Phil? ogsmile

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
A bit off topic, but I have to say Atomic is completely missed the mark (in my opinion) on their race topsheet graphics this year.....so bland and plain. At least with the white lettering it popped, but that black and red....meh.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A bit off topic, but I have to say Atomic is completely missed the mark (in my opinion) on their race topsheet graphics this year.....so bland and plain. At least with the white lettering it popped, but that black and red....meh.
Yeah, my SkiLogiks are much better looking ogwink:Pogwink

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for posting that JF!

4ster

Instructor
Thanks for posting that JF!

I believe she is there one more day.
I heard they wanted her to train at a Vail resort but nothing was steep enough & Kirkwood was closed. They did tell her she could hike there though. ogwink :hail::hail::hail:

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I actually believe that this is a deal brokered through the USST, team MS, and a close personal friend of the Shiffrin's who has a great deal of swing at Squaw. I think this is a great set up. No doubt the terrain is demanding. Great hill.

Was anybody else training with her? Surprised she's just there for another day. I only say that as a friend was asked to help team MS. Though it was 5/7 days on snow. Was something like that a year ago.

BTW, at this time of year Vail keeps Gold Peak open for just SSCV, but MS has typically trained at Loveland, with the hill to herself. SSCV takes up a lot of space most mornings.

Amazingly hard worker..

4ster

Instructor
@Muleski , I can only go by what one of the race crew told me about only being there one more day.
& yes she was the only one on training. I was surprised how long she was out, maybe past 1pm. Switched skis frequently & as far as I could tell was mostly only running the top to bottom course in sections.

My Vail remark was only a jab ogwink.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last year MS was training with Lila Lipanja at Squaw and (I think) Mammoth.
With the snow quality this season, there are endless opportunities to train out here.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year MS was training with Lila Lipanja at Squaw and (I think) Mammoth.
With the snow quality this season, there are endless opportunities to train out here.

rumor from my race dept contacts at Squaw was momma Shiffrin was none too pleased about that, she like exclusivity..... also heard that Lila got pretty much ignored during these sessions. Shame...

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes, a bit bland, but maybe trying to get back to the simpler red sled look. Although on TV might be harder to identify between Rossi Hero Orange and Atomic red. Maybe that is why it is a more muted red as well. Interesting to note as well that the servo tech extension to the plate is now only in front of the binding, unlike the D2 which was front and back. Also the speed skis listed in the 18 catalog still use the D2 plate although the testing pictures I saw from Travis showed the servo tech skis

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Squaw is going to be very busy with training, and teams groups visiting late into the season. Like most venues that are truly set up for this, they are able to charge a hefty sum. And, yes, they and Mammoth in particular have incredible depth.

Vail, BTW, was the first area to create a big profit center by renting out training lanes at big price tags. Has become much more costly over the last five years.

I was under the impression that MS was going to be on snow at Squaw for about five days, and was trying to get a handle on that. Presume that they may have gone to Mammoth for some SG laps. Don't know the details. Combination of things going on at this time of year in terms of goals. Starting to dial in skis is a big part.

Fun to watch her train if you ever get a chance, BTW.

Can confirm SS's comment about MS training by herself. No other USST skiers. A couple well connected much younger kids may sneak in to train with her, at Team MS's invitation. Rumor has it that the deal is that MS gets the undivided attention of her entire coaching and support group. No sharing coach attention, etc. Guess it worked this past year!

Interesting that Ilka Stuhec and her group were training this past week with the Canadians in Italy. She jumps in with a number of groups. Very well liked. {Not that MS is not. Do not want to imply that...}

Know nothing about the Atomic skis. Was surprised to see Tina Wierather switch to Head, at this time. Must have been good product, good contract, good support. Changes normally take place after an Olympic year.

Sponsor

Staff online