• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Until I sweat into the down and it becomes useless as an insulator. I love down for low-intensity activities -- digging a snow pit, hanging out to/from the lodge, après, transitions. But down doesn't have much of a place in my systems where I'm generating a good deal of heat.

YMMV. But I've never found down that breathes like the Polartec Grid fleece in the R1 or anything like the Nano Air jacket.
I would never wear a down mid or outer layer when cross country skiing. For Lift Serve Alpine, I hate freezing my kester off on the slow chairlift up where synthetics often fail me.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just tossing this out there, but I have a couple of Pendleton wool flannel shirts I found a couple years back for half off... Awesome light/medium mid-layer pieces. Wear them skiing, sailing, walking, working. Can toss either a down or synthetic puffy over for cold dry weather, or a shell for damp/rain, and add a smartwool vest + a hard shell for snowy stuff.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For cold lift served skiing - Nano air or Nano Puff?
Depends, base layer(s), activity level, do you run cold, East, West or PNW, etc..

In the NE, my Nano Air doesn't do it for me, neither does my TNF Thermoball. I need down fill, the Arc'teryx Cerium LT or the Cerium SV for the zub sero days. Fwiw, I buy Arc'teryx for the fit, despite that I feel pretentious sporting the logo, and I actually like the dead bird logo.

Last edited:

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I run cold and typically ski Utah and Colorado. My baselayers are either Cap 2 or UA Base 3.0 with a Patty R1 in the mix.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I run cold and typically ski Utah and Colorado. My baselayers are either Cap 2 or UA Base 3.0 with a Patty R1 in the mix.
Dry air, three base layers, try the Nano Air, it has better air permeability. Buy from a place with a good return policy and save the tags just in case it doesn't work out. However you may find you like it for other uses, Nano Air is a nice piece.

Last edited:

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the puff and returned it for the air. Much warmer under a shell. It breathes well too. I have a down sweater for really cold days too.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had the puff and returned it for the air. Much warmer under a shell. It breathes well too. I have a down sweater for really cold days too.

Under a goretex shell, and with a good heavy baselayer, how cold would you guess you could wear your NanoAir before swapping out?

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Under a goretex shell, and with a good heavy baselayer, how cold would you guess you could wear your NanoAir before swapping out?
I would swap out at single digits or maybe low teens in bad visibility where you lower the pace a bit. I bought a wool midlayer from 30 below and it is comfy with the air.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
If it's 5° with wind chills well below zero, are you all using a down midlayer or doubling up on synthetics? If it's that cold, I'm not sure I'm sweating.

Also, to get more breathability, maybe a down vest would be the way to go when it's that cold?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it's 5° with wind chills well below zero, are you all using a down midlayer or doubling up on synthetics? If it's that cold, I'm not sure I'm sweating.

Also, to get more breathability, maybe a down vest would be the way to go when it's that cold?
Arc'teryx Cerium SV (non-hoodie version) ~190grams of 850 down midlayer. Patagonia Capilene 1 under a Smartwool 250 baselayer top, I often end up removing one or the other of the two baselayers.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ yep. I alternate the Cerium SV with a Cerium SL and a Nano Air as weather conditions dictate. The Cerium SV just fits under my slim fitting TNF Enzo jacket. It's an easy fit under the Arc'teryx Sidewinder, Tantallus, Sabre and updated Rush, comfortable too. I'm a size Medium in all of the above. Could wear a Small but like freedom of movement and ample room for a storm hood worn up over a helmet without dislocating my jaw. Plus my shoulders fit better in a Medium. Most other brands Mediums fit me like a tent, much too roomy in the midsection.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

If you're factoring in wind chills, your shell may not be windproofy enough.

OTOH, my shell is windproof, and I've done fine with polar-weight fleece in those temps, but it is mildly annoying to shed sweat ice chips from the inside of the shell :eek:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister