• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I plan on getting a Polartec Neoshell Hardshell this season. Leaning toward Flylow or Colorado Freeride Systems jackets. Skiing here in the cold Northeast, would need to be warm, although I don't think I will be skiing in any below zero temps. Doubt even single digits. Should I get something breathable, since the jackets are breathable and have pit zips? I like the Patagonia Nan Puff jacket, yet they are windproof and don't breath. OTOH, their Nano Air jackets ARE breathable, which I might buy for casual wear anyway. Anyone out there wear the Nano Puff, having feedback?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a first-generation Nano-Puff pullover that I use fairly often. It is not especially breathable, but it isn't a sweat box for lift skiing either. It is nice and warm, but if you're concerned about having maximum breathability for aerobic activity like hiking or skinning, go with the Nano-Puff Air version. I find the Nano-Puff too warm for above 20d F. For me, if I'm sweating while lift skiing, I have too many clothes on, and drop a layer or use lighter ones. YMMV.

If it's any help, I use fleece (200 weight, no membrane) for my midlayer until it gets below 20d F, then I throw on the Nano-Puff. When hiking or skinning in middling-cold temps I carry the Nano-Puff in my pack to put on at the top and for the ride down. I don't experience any breathability problems that way.

I have thicker puffy layers for very cold or stormy weather.

Edit to add, I just noticed that steepandcheap.com has a good selection of Nano-Puffs and Nano-Airs on sale right now.

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I own a lot of midlayers for varying temperatures. Since I got the Nano AIr Hoody I have used nothing else. Though I did pick up a Nano Air Vest recently since it was on sale for 50% off. I previously used the Nano Puff, but it is definitely not breathable. Down I tend to sweat out, even for lift served EC skiing. On really cold days I've just added a microweight fleece vest under the NanoAir.

TS
E

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I do have the Patagonia R1(I think, or R2). Can't remember which, since I bought it back in 2010, Not sure if this will do the job under an uninsulated hard shell. Yet like anything, test. I can buy both the Nano Puff and Air and see which is more comfortable. Just seeing what others wear and how they like it.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Like @pais alto , I have a nano puff pullover, and I really only wear that on the coldest days (which is pretty cold here in Alberta). When I come in for lunch, I will always take the Nano puff off so that both the nano puff and my merino base layer can dry fully before I go out.

Most days, I have a thin merino wool base layer, a fleece midlayer and my lightly insulated jacket on top. I also pay attention to my sweat level, and will switch out layers if I get really sweaty, to keep myself from getting cold.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a Patagonia down sweater that is not breathable. It is pretty much the perfect mid-layer for me for temps in the 20's and lower.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Timely thread. I just ordered the FRS Antero II+ NeoShell and need to find a breathable mid-layer as well. Patagonia has never been a good fit on me. Is there another recommendation similar to it that isn't quite so.....slim?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Timely thread. I just ordered the FRS Antero II+ NeoShell and need to find a breathable mid-layer as well. Patagonia has never been a good fit on me. Is there another recommendation similar to it that isn't quite so.....slim?

Patagucci's Nano Puff has a very boxy fit, same with their down sweater and Snap-T fleece. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the fit in person. If you have, then ignore me.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Between my Patagonia Nano Air and my Colorado FreeRide Systems Bross Hoodie (Polartec Grid fleece) I find I need very little else. Nano air on the coldest days, Bross Hoodie on everything about 15F-ish, I'm good.

@TheArchitect -- I don't find the Nano Air to be particularly slim. Recommend trying one on if possible -- one of my favorite pieces. The ArcTeryx Atom LT is the most similar jacket but is cut even slimmer. I hear Eddie Bauer IgniteFlux is somewhat similar.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a first-generation Nano-Puff pullover that I use fairly often. It is not especially breathable, but it isn't a sweat box for lift skiing either. It is nice and warm, but if you're concerned about having maximum breathability for aerobic activity like hiking or skinning, go with the Nano-Puff Air version. I find the Nano-Puff too warm for above 20d F. For me, if I'm sweating while lift skiing, I have too many clothes on, and drop a layer or use lighter ones. YMMV.

If it's any help, I use fleece (200 weight, no membrane) for my midlayer until it gets below 20d F, then I throw on the Nano-Puff. When hiking or skinning in middling-cold temps I carry the Nano-Puff in my pack to put on at the top and for the ride down. I don't experience any breathability problems that way.

I have thicker puffy layers for very cold or stormy weather.

Edit to add, I just noticed that steepandcheap.com has a good selection of Nano-Puffs and Nano-Airs on sale right now.

And if you use active junky you can get an additional 4% off too. https://www.activejunky.com/invite/215970

I also came upon campsaver.com today. They have good deals on clothing right now too.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to swing by my local REI and see how they fit. Thanks for the info

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
I have both the full zip jacket and vest versions of the nanopuff. I echo what others have said about the lack of breathability of the nanopuff jacket; however, I found the nanopuff vest is quite excellent. for most days (skiing in PA or NY), I will have my mid-wt wool base layer, an R1 fleece midlayer, and the nanopuff vest as my insulation layer and that has worked well for me.

aliebe

Booting up
Skier
Looking for some general advice on this myself. Making the switch to a Patagonia Snowshot Shell to be teamed with a moisture wicking base and an Eddie Bauer Cloud Layer fleece and/or a Thermoball depending upon temp. My question is for when that weather is too warm for the Thermoball, but too cold without it. I have heard great things about the nano-air, but I'm concerned it might be too close to the Thermoball from an insulating aspect. Would an R2 or Monkey Man 200 fill in that gap? Or would the nano-air hybrid be a better fit because of the increased breathability? At the end if the day, I know it will be a trial and error on my part to see what works best, but where would these fall in the light/medium/heavy scale?

As a reference point, I used that Eddie Bauer fleece with the same baselayer on a 7mi hike in mid to upper 30's day with no issue.

gozoogle

Booting up
Skier
I also have a Neoshell outer and I think it's important to have high breath-ability in the mid layer so your system works well together to shed moisture and retain dry heat. I would go with the Patagonia Nano Air (I have a vest) or a Polartec Alpha jacket/vest (my specific model is the Eider Blow Alpha 2 jacket, which isn't sold anymore). Different weights depending on how much heat retention you need. On really cold days, you could always stack a vest and a jacket and have 2 midlayers. For your reference, my outer was a Westcomb Apoc (more fitted than Flylow) last year and I have a new Marmot Zion (more loose than Westcomb, more fitted than Flylow) since the Apoc was getting holes. I wear Flylow Neoshell pants from a few years ago (they have an annoying button that digs into the middle of your lower back, not sure if they fixed that).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Just for clarity for anyone reading this thread not familiar with Patagonia products: the nano puff and the nano air are products with similar names, but they are vastly different in terms of their performance characteristics. Both are synthetic jackets from Patagonia. Nano Puffs are made with a wind proof material, and a semi-traditional Primaloft insulation. They are light, and pack tiny, but they have very limited breathability. Nano Airs are a new sort of insulation ("FullRange") paired with a very soft face fabric that focuses on having great breathability at the expense of wind protection. They do not pack quite as small.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My question is for when that weather is too warm for the Thermoball, but too cold without it. I have heard great things about the nano-air, but I'm concerned it might be too close to the Thermoball from an insulating aspect. Would an R2 or Monkey Man 200 fill in that gap? Or would the nano-air hybrid be a better fit because of the increased breathability?

I use an R2 pullover for those days, most days actually. The Nano Air is going to have an insulative value very much like the Thermoball. An R2 would be a good bridge between warm days and cold.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I use a lot is a light merino wool t-shirt, under a zip-t base layer. Very functional and versatile, adding a bit of breathable warmth. It's a favorite for micro-managing since it's not as heavy as fleece layers or puffies.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use an R2 pullover for those days, most days actually. The Nano Air is going to have an insulative value very much like the Thermoball. An R2 would be a good bridge between warm days and cold.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I use a lot is a light merino wool t-shirt, under a zip-t base layer. Very functional and versatile, adding a bit of breathable warmth. It's a favorite for micro-managing since it's not as heavy as fleece layers or puffies.

Monkey Man is pretty warm. I wonder if it's really much less warm than a Nano Air? It's for sure at least as breathable. Nano Air is a super nice piece though - so far I've resisted buying one but I imagine I'll crack soon :) Nano puff fit is too boxy for me, but Nano Air is just right.

I like wearing a merino t-shirt, but as a mid layer (probably uncool, just like the insulated jacket, but whatevers). One of my favorite setups is: Northface NFZ (lightly) insulated jacket, short sleeve icebreaker t-shirt "mid layer", and long sleeve icebreaker base layer. For me that's good for around 30F. Throw in a light icebreaker jersey for another ~10F of warmth. Replacing the jersey with Monkey Man is good for another ~10F, more with the right mitts/facemask/leg insulation.

Atom Lt vest is also handy to have in the pack if you're carrying one.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stopped by REI on the way home and I'll be damned but the Nano Air fit me reasonably well. Order placed.

Thanks to all for the info and the link to Steep and Cheap. Great price on the Nano Air. Get em while they last!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I stopped by REI on the way home and I'll be damned but the Nano Air fit me reasonably well. Order placed.

Thanks to all for the info and the link to Steep and Cheap. Great price on the Nano Air. Get em while they last!

Damn -- $99 is a good deal on that jacket.

Think you're going to be real happy. As someone who skis hard enough to work up a good bit of sweat, it is the only non-fleece insulating layer I've found breathable enough to wear under a hardshell jacket like the Antero 2+.

It's also my go to jacket for winter hiking, winter runs, ski touring, bike commuting and just laying around the house. It is as comfy as most sweatshirts.

Sponsor

Staff online